[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - Crisis? What Crisis?

Crisis? What Crisis?

Crisis? What Crisis?

Postby sound_chaser » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:50 am

As the world's gone completely mad (again!), here’s an appropriate album to play. Anyone care to join me in this today...or any Supertramp for that matter?
sound_chaser

Re: Crisis? What Crisis?

Postby happytheman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:25 pm

happytheman

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 pm

yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Haze » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 am

Haze

Charter Member

Postby yesireebob » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 am

I LOVE Even in the Quietest Moments, both the song and the album. It's the only Supertramp album I still own.

I will forever link Breakfast in America with a very long drive from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles in 1981. All those miles with no radio signal for most of it (I do remember one stretch where the only station I could tune into played nothing but polka music), and only only 3 tapes in my car, Breakfast, Jazz by Queen, and something by Styxx, Paradise Hotel I think. I had packed away my tape box and those were the only tapes I found in the glove box. Driving through Amarillo, Albuquerque, Kingman, Needles, on and on and on with just those three albums, in a Toyota Corolla with no air conditioning in July. With a collie pup on my lap and my cat in a kennel in the back seat. It all comes back to me now...
yesireebob

Postby guilddigger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Hello Haze!
I have always found it har d to get into Supertramp.
While I can enjoy some of their music, for some reason I can't stand
Hodgson's voice.
Well, the reason is I find it too whiny.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:56 pm

sound_chaser

Postby fragilesi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:39 pm

fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:01 pm

always liked the 'Tramp right from the off - Crime of the Century = great first album. i wasnt 'into' them as much as Yes, but it was good enough. Only got to see them live after Hodgson left & they were really floundering.. (Cannonball was a good track..)

Good driving music (as in 'for the car') I always thought..

'The Logical Song' was a bit of a theme tune - I could identify with that.. Bit of a dreamer in my youth, but then I got a job and all kind of 'grew up', then I remembered my youthful vision & wondered where it had all gone...

Ho- hey ho..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:54 am

Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:05 am

Found this video on Youtube for 1974´s "Dreamer", there´s something about this music that makes me smile everytime.
the link is:
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:14 pm

the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:31 pm

tardistraveler

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:00 pm

the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:48 pm

The Cd arrived, this Remasters series is great the sound is way better than the older edition the sound is crystal clear on this one.
Here´s my first impressions:

The whole album is astonishing, the songs are well crafted and there´s a undercurrent dark vibe on some songs, not as Dark as a Pink Floyd but still dark.
Hodgson´s Wurlitzer lines are brilliant, they add a warmth and cousiness to the album´s multi layered epic rock feel.
It´s not Prog nor basic hard rock its something in between, conceptual rock alright but different from most album rock bands from the 70´s.
"School" caught me right from the opening harmonica, plus Hodgson´s vocals sound alot like Robert Plant on this one.
I noticed the same Plant-eske sounding on his voice when i heard "Sister Moonshine" from "Crisis? What Crisis?".
Richard Davies songs are darker with this undercurrent angst fused with R&B styles here and there and great piano lines oposed to Hodgson´s upbeat rock and fondness for art -pop/rock.
I think Tramp is a cross between Pink Floyd Conceptual music and long improvisations, Beatles, Crosby Stills Nash type of layered vocals, Elton John-ish pop/rock vein, Steely dan´s funky jazz-rock pulse and British Folk-Rock scene.
Unlike most reviews i read i don´t perceive Tramp as not so good rock band or a easy-listening type of thing, I think is highly underrated music.
Those who can´t play write bad reviews on pretencious magazines...let´s remember people, Rolling Stone Magazine gave Zeppelin bad reviews for almost all of their records!

The only thing i dislike is that the album is too damm short!
...or that is because i need more tramp
I´m totally hooked! :D
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Return to When Rock Was Young