Crisis? What Crisis?

Crisis? What Crisis?

Postby sound_chaser » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:50 am

As the world's gone completely mad (again!), here’s an appropriate album to play. Anyone care to join me in this today...or any Supertramp for that matter?
sound_chaser

Re: Crisis? What Crisis?

Postby happytheman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:25 pm

sound_chaser wrote:Image

As the world's gone completely mad (again!), here’s an appropriate album to play. Anyone care to join me in this today...or any Supertramp for that matter?

For whatever reason I kept away from Supertramp for the most part growing up. Somehow there was a "stigma" attached to them from the close group I hung out with. Then one day a friend pulled out Crime of the Century and said "don't tell anyone I have this". While I didn't rush out to buy more of their catalog I really enjoyed that album. Then of course they hit it big with Breakfast in America which automatically meant I couldn't possibly own a "hit" record. Long story short, it's only in recent years that I have gone back to rediscover this band. They recorded a lot of great stuff. Crisis? What Crisis? is one of the better ones. Great cover!
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 pm

I got into Supertramp Alot but not until when the Breakfest In America and Paris Albums came out, then I slowly went Back and picked up Crime
Of The Century and so on..
But I do Love them. and have listened to them since I was a little kid.
I Saw them live too and it was very very good.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Haze » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 am

The cover of "Crisis? What Crisis?" is somewhat comforting nowadays.. Makes you smile when the economical world's messing with you. (Could've used stronger words, I guess..)

Anyhoo, I discovered Supertramp with the "Crime of the Century" album. Mainly because my Hifi-dealer, at the time, used it to make his products sound impressive. In vinyl version and especially the title track, can still make your 12" woofer flutter! "Crisis...", on the other hand, was the first one I bought on my own accord. An album with more thought to it, more balance in some way - like it's more of a concept album, albeit not... And it's still my first choice when I want to hear something with Supertramp. Having said that I also play Even in the Quietest Moments and Breakfast in America fairly frequently. Actually, I'm playing "Even in..." now! :)
Haze

Charter Member

Postby yesireebob » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 am

I LOVE Even in the Quietest Moments, both the song and the album. It's the only Supertramp album I still own.

I will forever link Breakfast in America with a very long drive from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles in 1981. All those miles with no radio signal for most of it (I do remember one stretch where the only station I could tune into played nothing but polka music), and only only 3 tapes in my car, Breakfast, Jazz by Queen, and something by Styxx, Paradise Hotel I think. I had packed away my tape box and those were the only tapes I found in the glove box. Driving through Amarillo, Albuquerque, Kingman, Needles, on and on and on with just those three albums, in a Toyota Corolla with no air conditioning in July. With a collie pup on my lap and my cat in a kennel in the back seat. It all comes back to me now...
yesireebob

Postby guilddigger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Hello Haze!
I have always found it har d to get into Supertramp.
While I can enjoy some of their music, for some reason I can't stand
Hodgson's voice.
Well, the reason is I find it too whiny.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:56 pm

guilddigger wrote:Hello Haze!
I have always found it har d to get into Supertramp.
While I can enjoy some of their music, for some reason I can't stand
Hodgson's voice.
Well, the reason is I find it too whiny.

I can't really get into Rush because of Geddy lee, so I know what you mean. And would you believe there are people out there who don't like Jon Anderson's voice? It's crazy, but it's true! :eek:
sound_chaser

Postby fragilesi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:39 pm

sound_chaser wrote:I can't really get into Rush because of Geddy lee, so I know what you mean. And would you believe there are people out there who don't like Jon Anderson's voice? It's crazy, but it's true! :eek:

Who are these people who dislike such a wonderful voice? I'm a reasonable man . . . but . . . off with their heads!!!

(And as for those who don't like Jon's voice . . . :D )
fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:01 pm

always liked the 'Tramp right from the off - Crime of the Century = great first album. i wasnt 'into' them as much as Yes, but it was good enough. Only got to see them live after Hodgson left & they were really floundering.. (Cannonball was a good track..)

Good driving music (as in 'for the car') I always thought..

'The Logical Song' was a bit of a theme tune - I could identify with that.. Bit of a dreamer in my youth, but then I got a job and all kind of 'grew up', then I remembered my youthful vision & wondered where it had all gone...

Ho- hey ho..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

sound_chaser wrote:I can't really get into Rush because of Geddy lee, so I know what you mean. And would you believe there are people out there who don't like Jon Anderson's voice? It's crazy, but it's true! :eek:

for me it was more the politics that put me off...2112 was good, tho & they are awesome musicians..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:54 am

happytheman wrote:For whatever reason I kept away from Supertramp for the most part growing up. Somehow there was a "stigma" attached to them from the close group I hung out with. Then one day a friend pulled out Crime of the Century and said "don't tell anyone I have this". While I didn't rush out to buy more of their catalog I really enjoyed that album. Then of course they hit it big with Breakfast in America which automatically meant I couldn't possibly own a "hit" record. Long story short, it's only in recent years that I have gone back to rediscover this band. They recorded a lot of great stuff. Crisis? What Crisis? is one of the better ones. Great cover!

Wow! This Thread is like a "I Ching" to me because i´m kind of rediscovering Supertramp right now.
It started yesterday when i listened to the first minutes of "School" from "Crime of the Century"...I have always had a thing for Supertramp but i did not talk about it nor had the guts to buy their albums.
I faced a situation very similar to what you described in my early teenage years.My friends where all into Zappa, King Crimson, ELP, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, Cream and it would´ve looked "bad" for me at that time if i said i liked Supertramp who was perceived by them as sellouts or too nice & clean pop crap.
Fortunatly i´ve overcomed that problem and decided to give a chance to the Tramp...I´m enjoying every minute of it! :D
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:05 am

Found this video on Youtube for 1974´s "Dreamer", there´s something about this music that makes me smile everytime.
the link is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1auRCameVY&feature=related
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:40 pm

sound_chaser wrote:Image

When i saw this thread i recalled immediately that a few weeks ago i went to this record store and while looking for something interesting i came across this very album and thought to myself how appropriate this cover was to this worldwide financial crisis...but your were faster then me on this...
A "gem" of an album!
I was listening to "Sister Moonshine" on Deezer, Supertramp´s has a very distinct approach when i comes to folky rock tunes i love the flutes and the acustic guitar strumming styles.
Can´t wait to get a copy of this masterpiece.
I´m actually confused because i don´t have anything by them yet so i don´t know where to begin, any suggestions?
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:14 pm

unless you're into a greatest hits, then personally I'd suggest start with 'Crime of the Century' & got chronologically forward, so you can follow their development.. which is generally what I do when i get into a 'new' band I havent heard before..

unless there's a real 'stand out album' - then I might work back, & then forward from there..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:31 pm

yesireebob wrote:I LOVE Even in the Quietest Moments, both the song and the album. It's the only Supertramp album I still own.

I will forever link Breakfast in America with a very long drive from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles in 1981. All those miles with no radio signal for most of it (I do remember one stretch where the only station I could tune into played nothing but polka music), and only only 3 tapes in my car, Breakfast, Jazz by Queen, and something by Styxx, Paradise Hotel I think. I had packed away my tape box and those were the only tapes I found in the glove box. Driving through Amarillo, Albuquerque, Kingman, Needles, on and on and on with just those three albums, in a Toyota Corolla with no air conditioning in July. With a collie pup on my lap and my cat in a kennel in the back seat. It all comes back to me now...

LOVE this story! Reminds me of a drive through the Everglades on a rainy Saturday night in 1978, when the only radio I could get was Nashville - WSM AM Clear Channel 650, playing the Grand Ole Opry LIVE!!! I might have preferred the polka music . . . :rolleyes:

Linda, you can probably get 650 in Phoenix at night . . . they used to broadcast Vanderbilt basketball, and one of the players hailed from Denver - his parents used to sit in the car with the radio cranked to listen to the games . . . lol

Regarding Supertramp . . . the only album I had WAS Breakfast in America . . . it was on cassette, and might be with the ex now . . . sounds like perhaps I missed some cool things . . .
tardistraveler

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 pm

the greenman wrote:unless you're into a greatest hits, then personally I'd suggest start with 'Crime of the Century' & got chronologically forward, so you can follow their development.. which is generally what I do when i get into a 'new' band I havent heard before..

unless there's a real 'stand out album' - then I might work back, & then forward from there..

I´ve decided to begin with Crime of the Century it was a hard decision because Crisis? What Crisis? has really grown on me as well as their debut album from 1970(also known as "Surely").
I´ve ordered the RMST version of Crime, let´s see what happens...I have a strong feeling i´m onto something very important both as a listener and musician.
Since I started to listen to Tramp i´ve managed to play some songs on my piano just by ear, which is very strange for me since i´m not very good when it comes to play by ear.
Supertramp has changed something or triggered something in me, i feel very receptive and calm now.
Normally i´m highly neurotic and stressed out but this music has put and end on that kind of behaviour.

Music to me is a very spiritual thing, so, sometimes bands connect more with you than others...that might be happening right now with Tramp.
It´s a long time since my last music discovery or since i came across a new band to listen, when that happens i stop listening when i come across the 80´s album period.
This has not happened to Tramp, I actually loved the 80´s stuff,
I feel free. :D :cool:
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby the greenman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:00 pm

Coffee_&_Cigarettes wrote:Normally i´m highly neurotic and stressed out but this music has put and end on that kind of behaviour.

too much coffee & too many cigarettes, perhaps?! :D

enjoy Crime - I'm sure you will... & then the rest of the Tramp journey.
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:48 pm

The Cd arrived, this Remasters series is great the sound is way better than the older edition the sound is crystal clear on this one.
Here´s my first impressions:

The whole album is astonishing, the songs are well crafted and there´s a undercurrent dark vibe on some songs, not as Dark as a Pink Floyd but still dark.
Hodgson´s Wurlitzer lines are brilliant, they add a warmth and cousiness to the album´s multi layered epic rock feel.
It´s not Prog nor basic hard rock its something in between, conceptual rock alright but different from most album rock bands from the 70´s.
"School" caught me right from the opening harmonica, plus Hodgson´s vocals sound alot like Robert Plant on this one.
I noticed the same Plant-eske sounding on his voice when i heard "Sister Moonshine" from "Crisis? What Crisis?".
Richard Davies songs are darker with this undercurrent angst fused with R&B styles here and there and great piano lines oposed to Hodgson´s upbeat rock and fondness for art -pop/rock.
I think Tramp is a cross between Pink Floyd Conceptual music and long improvisations, Beatles, Crosby Stills Nash type of layered vocals, Elton John-ish pop/rock vein, Steely dan´s funky jazz-rock pulse and British Folk-Rock scene.
Unlike most reviews i read i don´t perceive Tramp as not so good rock band or a easy-listening type of thing, I think is highly underrated music.
Those who can´t play write bad reviews on pretencious magazines...let´s remember people, Rolling Stone Magazine gave Zeppelin bad reviews for almost all of their records!

The only thing i dislike is that the album is too damm short!
...or that is because i need more tramp
I´m totally hooked! :D
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Return to When Rock Was Young