A Question of Balance

A Question of Balance

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:20 pm

Ever since my rock quest began I never came across anything like this one band.
It´s not prog or art-rock, symphonic sometimes, epic, eearie, mellow and folky with strong fondeness for psychedelia.
From the beginnigs of "Days of Future Passed" to the nightfall on Every good boy deserves favour" I feel i´m taken away from this world.
Floating into another dimension, a mystical place where everything belongs as long as you want it to be there.
When Bob Dylan strikes a E minor chord then it becomes a Dylan Chord.
When The Moody Blues strikes a single note on the piano or strums a guitar chord what follows is a wave of colorfull haunting orchestrations, any colour you like...
The Earth stops just to listen to this gentle rock symphony.
I spend 8 years avoiding The Moodys because i thought i wasn´t ready yet for this kind of music.
And now here am i listening to the delightfull sounds of "Days of Future Passed", "Every good boy..." and "A Question of Balance".
If [:yes] opened my eyes and ears, whispering what was yet to come in the form of rock to me, Supertramp and The Beatles(George) Pushed me deeper and deeper in this universe of mystical music.
My Journey began at age 13 when i bought Deep Purple´s Machine Head on Vinyl.Since then i´ve been listening to loads of different stuff, from jazz to afro-cuban, tropicalia to blaxploitation soundtracks, MPB to Canterbury...everything.
Still, Rock seems to be the most important thing!
And i feel that my journey has come to a interesting conclusion:
The Moody Blues.
This is it!This is what i´ve been looking for seen i was a teenager since Sabbath, Zeppelin, Coltrane, Joni Mitchell, Traffic...it was right on my face all along but i couldn´t see it.
Sometimes you have to feel it before you can see it.
It´s a Question of Balance, in the end every good boy deserves favour in this days of future passed.

I just wanted to share this brilliant discovery and ask everyone who digs The Moody Blues to join me in this very moment and listen to their music.
let´s call it a Moody Blues day.

Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Re: A Question of Balance

Postby happytheman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:17 am

Interesting you bring this up...I just responded to a Moody Blues question on PE. I own "This Is" and Long Distance Voyager. Between the two albums I feel like I have the best of what this group put out over it's long history. Don't know much about what went on in the studio to put together their music history but they certainly deserve a round of applause for their output. Great album covers as well!
P.S. I just noticed this is my 777th post....very cosmic number in some circles!
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:52 am

happytheman wrote:Interesting you bring this up...I just responded to a Moody Blues question on PE. I own "This Is" and Long Distance Voyager. Between the two albums I feel like I have the best of what this group put out over it's long history. Don't know much about what went on in the studio to put together their music history but they certainly deserve a round of applause for their output. Great album covers as well!
P.S. I just noticed this is my 777th post....very cosmic number in some circles!

This was an I ching moment as i like to call it.
thanks for the reply.

here´s somethings i learned about the number 777:
Symbolism 777:

• This number joins together the principles of the man, 700, the cosmic plans, 70, and their image in the Archetype, 7, according to R. Allendy. It is the universal organization, 7 + 7 + 7 = 21, the general evolution.
  • Represent the celestial perfection, 7, on the 3 plans of the manifestation: matter, astral (mental or soul) and spirit.
  • It is the number of the sacred work of the sons of God for the establishment of the Kingdom of God on the Earth, mainly for the period of the seventh millennium after Adam where it is written that Satan will be chained for thousand years.
  • In esotericism, 777 means that virgin spirits (those to which God gave the life with the mission to rise towards the Creator, until to absorb themselves again in Him) will know 777 incarnations during seven revolutions that the wave of life accomplishes around the seven globes of the seven world periods. The symbolism of this number is therefore the ascension of the soul through the physical body.
  • According to the tradition of Himalayan masters, 777 is the number of the celestial man and symbolizes the transmutation which takes place at the time where the man becomes conscious of the necessity to cover the path of initiation, and that he perceives, even of an elementary manner, that the goal is in God.
  • The purity - does not father and is not fathered.
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 pm

I've always loved Days of Future Passed, and have an excellent remastering on a "gold" CD that I purchased circa 1990 . . . your post is inspiring me to listen to more . . .
tardistraveler

Postby sound_chaser » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:20 am

I'm a big fan, although they could be a bit formulaic in the structure of their albums. Far and away the best, in my opinion, are On The Threshold Of A Dream & To Our Childrens Childrens Children. In Search Of The Lost Chord & Every Good Boy Deserves Favour are excellent as well. A Question Of Balance is the album that’s thought to be a bit of a weak link and I’m not mad on all of Seventh Sojourn either. However, the first two albums I mentioned are out and out classics: must haves!
sound_chaser

Postby Haze » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:36 pm

I dig! :)

The first album I heard with the Moodies was "A Question of Balance"! And I fell for it kinda right away. At first glance the songs could be perceived as simple pop songs, but the more you listened the more you discovered. Not to mention the exellent use of the Mellotron! This album still holds a strong affectional value, of course, but... (there's always). Nowadays, apart from the superb 3-DVD box from Classic Artists "The Moody Blues Their full story..", it seems to be "To our Childrens Childrens Children" or "On the Threshold of a Dream" I choose to listen too..

However, the first nine albums: From "Go Now" (1965) to "Seventh Sojourn" (1972) are all must haves, I think! Well, I am a collector.. ;)
Haze

Charter Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:36 am

Haze wrote:I dig! :)

The first album I heard with the Moodies was "A Question of Balance"! And I fell for it kinda right away. At first glance the songs could be perceived as simple pop songs, but the more you listened the more you discovered. Not to mention the exellent use of the Mellotron! This album still holds a strong affectional value, of course, but... (there's always). Nowadays, apart from the superb 3-DVD box from Classic Artists "The Moody Blues Their full story..", it seems to be "To our Childrens Childrens Children" or "On the Threshold of a Dream" I choose to listen too..

However, the first nine albums: From "Go Now" (1965) to "Seventh Sojourn" (1972) are all must haves, I think! Well, I am a collector.. ;)

Cool, I´m glad you dig the Moodies! :)
"A Question of Balance" was also my very first shot at the Moody Blues Sound.
The song "How Is it(Here we are)" was the one that caught me!
Right now i´m listening alot to "Every Good boy deserves favour" and "In search of the lost chord", I looking for "Seventh Sojourn" i haven´t found ir yet(I´m not looking for the cd) on the usual places i go to search for
Vinyl LP´s.
I came across this Moody Blues Songbook that has Selections from the albums 'Every Good Boy Deserves Favour' and 'Seventh Sojourn, looks very interesting because the song transcriptions are very accurate and i believe it will help me with my piano study.I already know how to play "Nights in White Satin" , "Tuesday Afternoon" and a few things here and there from "A Question of Balance" but i´m playing by ear, since i didn´t had time or money to buy original sheet music.But with this Songbook...i might make an exception.

Keep the good music on! :cool:
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby N2yes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:16 pm

I do very much appreciate your contribution here, C & C. Still, I would respectfully request that all posters do review this forum for pre-existing topics such as the Moody Blues. It's here and hungers for additional input. Thank you for your consideration.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Return to When Rock Was Young