Does anyone else like Budgie?

Does anyone else like Budgie?

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 am

Budgie, the Welsh power trio formed in the late 60's as Six Ton Budgie and then later changed to Budgie, is a band I've really getting into the past few years. I heard their most famous song, "Breadfan," a few times before on a friend's satellite radio and I knew it sounded somewhat familiar, having known that Metallica covered the song back in 1989-90 and really liked it, even though it sounds a bit different. Another plus for me was some of the album covers of theirs, which were done by none other than Roger Dean. I was able to acquire the album NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON A FRIEND, which has "Breadfan" on it and the whole album was very enjoyable, even with the two little quasi-psychedelic acoustic songs ("Riding My Nightmare" and "You Know I'll Always Love You'"). Great album, even though it cost a bit much ($21.99). Burke Shelley has one hell of a high voice, sort of a cross between Geddy Lee and Jon Anderson, and he also a great bass player, too. I started looking for more of their music and found that most of it is all rather expensive, considering them all being imports. I was able to download some of their songs, with the intent of eventually buying the actual albums, and found a lot of varied material, going between blistering metal, straight-ahead rock, folk, prog, psychedelia, blues, and the tiniest bit of AOR, along with a little sense of humor. One song I really love of theirs is "I Turned To Stone," off of their 1981 album NIGHTFLIGHT, which is another album I own. I think it's one of the best songs ever, as a matter of fact. This band, like a lot of other bands, has had its share of line-up changes with bassist-singer Burke Shelley being the only constant member for its 40+ years. What are all your thoughts, if any, about this awesome band?
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Re: Does anyone else like Budgie?

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:52 am

One thing I found out is that Budgie were actually a big influence on Metallica and Soundgarden, which is definitely a good thing.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Well, you've piqued my interest here . . . I'll have to look out for their music. I had heard of them before, but haven't HEARD them . . .
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:05 pm

:rolleyes: same. I've seen the album cover which has (what looks like) a giant budgie on the front being controlled by a man. I always thought it looked very Dean.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby N2yes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:38 am

Sorry to say that I have yet to hear them. But then, I have quite a bit of catching up to do.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Return to When Rock Was Young