[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - YES on 8 Track

YES on 8 Track

Moderator: N2yes

YES on 8 Track

Postby yerweb » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:10 am

After reading the interesting subject of "Talk on cassette" what were the song sequences of YES on 8 track tape? I know that song orders were changed and some songs cut in half!

So I guess all YES albums up to 91025? (Cuz I have a picture of Genesis 1983 on 8 track!)
yerweb

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:29 am

I never listened to 8-track back in the day - opting to wait for cassette technology, which I deemed more stable. That said, it is interesting how they had to divide up the songs to get them to fit on 8-track.

I believe Tribute/Nolan has a few Yes albums on 8-track - maybe he can enlighten us as to the tracklists?
tardistraveler

Postby Terry Shea » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
<b>yerweb wrote:</b>
After reading the interesting subject of "Talk on cassette" what were the song sequences of YES on 8 track tape? I know that song orders were changed and some songs cut in half!

So I guess all YES albums up to 91025? (Cuz I have a picture of Genesis 1983 on 8 track!)
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></font id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>Let's see, I had a few. If I remember correctly, Fragile started with Heart Of The Sunrise and ended with Roundabout, or at least Roundabout was on the last track followed by one of the shorter songs (Cans and Brahms or We Have Heaven-5% for nothing may have been on the same track too. I thought it rather strange that the order was changed like that as none of the songs were carried over from one track to another.

I can't recall the order on Drama but Machine Messiah was carried over from one track to another (faded out and back in).

I can't recall the order on Tormato either (the order may have remained intact on that one), but I do remember On The Silent Wings Of Freedom really sounded awesome on 8-track! Chris' bass really boomed on the 8-track and even the recent remaster hasn't been able to capture the sound as brilliantly as the 8-track did.

I had The Yes Album on 8-track too. Once again I could be wrong, but it seems like the track order was left intact. I don't recall any songs being carried over from one track to the next, but given that there were only 6 songs on 4 tracks, 4 being long songs and 2 shorter ones I'm not sure how this was done. Maybe a song or 2 was repeated. I think they repeated a song on Yesterdays too. It might have been Dear Father but I can't be sure.

Maybe someone else will have a better memory of this or maybe someone still has all their 8-tracks.

<hr>Listen to my music by clicking on one of these links:
http://www.ampcast.com/terry_shea
http://www.ic-musicmedia.com/terryshea
http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?so ... 268&T=3529
http://www.clearchannelnewmusicnetwork. ... /terryshea
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby tribute1969 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:08 am

<b><font face=Tahoma><font color=green>The "8 Track" collection I have, believe
it or not is only a recent thing...I go back long enough to
remember "8 Tracks" the first time but never had one....
I now pick them up at Goodwill Thrift Stores, usually for 50 cents each......
I have 40-50 "8 Tracks" now in my collection
including Olias, CTTE, GFTO, Fragile....
I also have Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Beatles, CSN&Y, etc on "8 Track"....
CTTE is a hoot with all the clicking from the track changing
right in the middle of the song....lol, it's quite startling actually...
Advice...Keep Those HEADS "clean" or your tapes will be eaten....
I have two working "8 Track" players</font id=green></font id=Tahoma></b>
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:54 pm

I, unfortunately, do not have any Yes 8-track tapes. I do, however, have Rush's Hemispheres album on 8-track. I bought it 5 years ago at this old record shop where I used to live. It was like a freakin' rock n' roll church to me! It had tons of live photos (no Yes, but they did have one of Asia with Steve and a pic of Rush (Hemispheres tour) and quite a few other goodies, like old pins, old concert t-shirts, basically a Rock collector's dream store. They had Yes on 8-track though, still factory sealed in mint condition and dammit, I wish I would have bought them before I move. Mind you, this place is just an hour away from Philly, and you know about Yes and Philly, so most likely, someone bought these already. I still remember that the last time I was there they had:

2 copies of Relayer, 3 copies of Drama, 1 copy of 90125, 2 copies of Classic Yes, 4 copies of Close To The Edge and 1 copy of Fragile. I deeply regret not buying any of those. The Rush ones they had were:

1 last copy of Hemispheres (which I got!! Yay!!), 2 copies of 2112, 1 copy of Moving Pictures, 2 copies of Signals, and one copy of Permanent Waves. I wish I would've had the money at the time. I could've bought every one of the Yes and Rush 8-tracks. Most of them were used already, but my copy of Hemispheres is still factory-sealed.

Looking at the track listing, it looks like they do cut the shit out of the song. I have never listened to 8-track machines in my life, even though they were still around even well after I was born (1980), right before they started becoming heavily obsolete.

Maybe, if I ever get the chance to go back to that shop, maybe I'll still see at least some of those 8-tracks. Only time will tell.

<hr>WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION, COME ON IN AND SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING, PAY THE PRICE GET YOUR TICKETS FOR THE SHOW...
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby yerweb » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:53 am

In 1988 I was walking up Yonge St. in Toronto and I saw Alex Lifeson waiting in line for a movie...I quickly said "are you Alex Lifeson?"
He said "yes", I said "nice guitar playing" and I got to shake his hand and then I left cuz I didn't know what else to say...I saw Rush for the 1st time last year at the Rolling Stones concert in Toronto. They were pretty good...

8 tracks dont sound so great so collect them for the novelty although Terry Shea says his Tormato sounded good...well they were all made when the masters were new so maybe they do sound good...I gave up on them in the 80's. I am just curious as to how they were altered from the LP versions.
yerweb

Postby ariceffron » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:03 am

SO WAS 90125 EVER ON 8 TRACK??? I HAVE LETS DANCE ON 8 TRACK FROM THE SAME YEAR....
ariceffron

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
<b>ariceffron wrote:</b>
SO WAS 90125 EVER ON 8 TRACK??? I HAVE LETS DANCE ON 8 TRACK FROM THE SAME YEAR....
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></font id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>

Yes it actually was on 8-track and it wasn't a bootleged copy either. It was the real thing.

<hr>WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION, COME ON IN AND SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING, PAY THE PRICE GET YOUR TICKETS FOR THE SHOW...
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby purplewolfhound » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:42 pm

purplewolfhound

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:32 am

8-tracks were at the height of their popularity pretty much in the mid-late 70's and that's about it. It was near the mid-80's, I think, when they were totally non-existant. Now that I'm back here in Pottstown and I'm only a few blocks from the shop (Record World, nice name, I say) I oughta go check it out sometime soon. I've been here almost two months and I still have yet to go in there. I've just been too busy to go in there. Hopefully they still have some of those old Yes 8-tracks in there.

And I also still hope they have the old classic-Yes logo iron-on print there as well. I got a shirt with that design on there over 5 years ago, but the damn thing faded. This one store in the mall that's in town here has the new vintage Yes t-shirts with the bubble logo and fragile cover in the lettering. Very cool. I need to get it. :cool:
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby ImstillYesmam » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:53 am

ImstillYesmam

Veteran Member

69- Does the top come down?

Postby tribute1969 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:17 pm

WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:25 pm

Not too shabby, Nolan! I'm getting those Yes 8-tracks soon. I ain't gonna play them, though, obviously. I don't know how much they're worth now, but I bet they're worth something.

I've always wondered how those machines work. I could never figure it out.
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:03 am

tardistraveler

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:32 am

I've read about the Corvair and how Ralph Nader (why he ran for President, I'll never know!) deemed it "unsafe ant any speed." Yeah kinda like him running for President is "unsafe at any speed!!!"

How does this 8-track. I've seen lots around, even on old record players but never knew how they played.
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby ImstillYesmam » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:50 am

ImstillYesmam

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:09 am

So, in a nutshell, 8-tracks basically sucked, huh? I know they were popular for a little while but then vanished out of existence.
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby Gary M. Thomas » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:14 pm

"8 Track Tapes" ..... now that is a term that I haven't heard in a while.. LOL

Oh my... I used to have an 8 track tape player in my old van... LOL :D
Ha, Ha... I can still remember listening to "The Yes Album" back in the 1970s.... and having "Starship Trooper" fade out as the machine changed tracks... then, fade back in when it changed over. Also, had to fold up a matchbook... and stick it in the corner of the tape-slot to keep the 8-track running at the correct speed.

Living in this "21st Century Digital Age" we can all look back and say, "Man, was that ever a primative way to listen to music." :p
Gary M. Thomas

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:39 pm

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tribute1969 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:17 am

Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby ImstillYesmam » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:18 am

ImstillYesmam

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:57 am

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Wow, this thread evokes some memories . . .

Postby theproffet » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:37 am

"You like your life in a free form style, you'll take an inch, but you'd love a mile . . ."
theproffet

Starship Trooper

Postby Gary M. Thomas » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:31 pm

What !!!

You mean to tell me that some of ya'll don't remember 8 Track Tapes? :eek:

Well then, how about "Vinyl Record Albums?"..... :p
(Wow, you make me fell so freakin' old..... ) LOL LOL LOL
Gary M. Thomas

Veteran Member

Just CLICKING off.....

Postby tribute1969 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:47 pm

Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:59 pm

tardistraveler

Postby Vaguson » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:47 pm

In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby ImstillYesmam » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:42 am

While we're reminising, let's not forget vinyl 45s and playing them on "record players" not "stereos"!

ImstillYesmam

Veteran Member

Postby Kissdthsky » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:39 am

Kissd
"when stars collide like you and i...." (Elton John/The One)

"Today the real test of power is not the capacity to make war but the capacity to prevent it." (Anne O'Hare McCormick, foreign correspondent for the New York Times"
Kissdthsky

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:19 pm

Ah - 45's!

I still have my old 45 case - full of my collection over the years.

I remember one day when J.J. and I were riding in the car listening to the "Oldies" station - he was about 4 or so - and with practically each song that played, I would say, "I've got THAT one on 45!" Finally, I told him that I'd have to play my 45's for him some day, and he replied, "Mom, I THINK I've already heard them all!" He was probably right! LOL

Back in the day, you didn't buy an album unless you were SURE that there were a lot of songs on it you liked, or unless the group as a whole had captured your fancy, as in the case of The Beatles. Usually a group just had a good song or two, and that was it - then they fizzled.

My album collection started mid-60's when I couldn't get a song on 45, and would finally break down and get the album, because I liked the song SO much. Usually the rest of the album sucked! Greatest Hits compilations were welcome! Ones I bought just because I liked the group were The Beatles, of course, The Rascals, and The Monkees. As music progressed beyond the typical "one-hit wonders", I began purchasing Hendrix, The Doors, The Stones, and of course, Yes!

When 8-tracks hit the stores, I was convinced that they were an inferior technology, since they were so prone to break, and I didn't invest in them at the time. I got a small cassette recorder in 1969 that I took in the car with me - I remember a few pre-recorded cassettes being available then, but not many. It wasn't until the auto-reverse feature became prevalent that cassettes really took off and ultimately replaced the 8-track as the car stereo of choice.

Now, does anyone remember 78's? ;)

Cool thread - fun to reminisce about all the old technologies!
tardistraveler

Next

Return to YEStalk