DVD Recommendations please.......

Moderator: N2yes

DVD Recommendations please.......

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:20 pm

I've been perusing the available YES DVD's available on Amazon. As a whole, the reviews aren't so hot. The only one with good reviews for music, content, and production is A,B,W,&H An Evening of YES Music.

The rest seem to be getting low scores due to incomplete performances (cut of by interviews and the like), no live video footage, and too many gimmicky edits (like 9012-Live). Symphonic received some good reviews.

What would recommend for someone who just wants to see a really good concert, without fluff?

Let's face it, the interviews are nice, but I can listen and watch the performance a million times, but interviews suck after the first time.
Gary

Charter Member

Postby The Ancient » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:26 pm

Symphonic is usually the one in stock, and it is especially good. The sound and film quality, the setlist and band energy are all A+. It has a short animated intro but no fluff. It may be the best concert film I have ever seen, and because it is Yes, it is a super-special treasure.

Evening of Yes Music is great, but it is rare, so you can't just go out and buy it.

I also see Keys to Ascension in the retail stores and I personally love it. It has extensive overdubbing and animated effects. I think it's beautiful, but it falls into a lot of people's "fluff" category.

House of Blues is usually on the shelf at places like Barnes & Noble. It is a really good straight forward concert film. No fluff there. It has the Igor and Billy lineup.

You can't go wrong with Symphonic. If you come across Yessongs on DVD, you should pick that one up too. I don't know if you were around to see it in the theaters in the 70's, but it is a typical 1970's concert film, a bit dark. Steve Howe and all of the band for that matter is hot, hot, hot.
The Ancient

Charter Member

Amazon has all titles in stock (so they say).

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:05 pm

No, I don't have Yessongs on DVD. I do have the Live in Philadelphia DVD. It pretty much sucks. It has a sentimental value thing to it as it was the first YES concert tour that I attended. I saw that at Madison Square Garden that year and they've been my favorite band since.

As far as locating items on the shelves.....Amazon has a great selection. They're usually $2 or $3 cheaper than the retail stores, and no tax. Also, if you order $25 worth or more, shipping is free. They were the only place that I was able to find Union and Time and a Word.

Thanks for the insight on Symphonic.
Gary

Charter Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:31 am

Yeah, if I were you, I'd go with Yessymphonic. There are two versions, one with an audio CD with some of the stuff from the show, and the other is with the "Don't Go" video and the Dreamtime documentary.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby wild_westie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:41 am

The very knowledgable Ancient One has given you what I see as the best DVDs. " Yes Symphonic Live" is spectacular. The sound and energy are great. If you're like me, and haven't seen them in concert in a few years, this is the next best thing.

"Yes Live from the House of Blues". Great set list. I saw this lineup and set list at Mud Island Swamp in Memphis. It was an intimate setting - not a large audience. What a treat!

And then, "Keys to Ascension". Great set list. These concerts were taped on video, a medium I prefer . With these above mentioned DVDs, you get to experience a lot of epic Yes and then their more poppier but good songs.

"Yessongs" is good to watch to see Yes in the early years. However, it's on film and a mixer wasn't used. So, if you have theatre sound, you're going to be disappointed. But, you get to see our band on the threshold of great stardom. Enjoy!
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

Postby wild_westie » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:07 am

Post script: The whole band is amazing but Steve Howe's work is spectacular. I can see that he has been influenced by Spanish Guitar - which I dearly love. You won't see Wakeman on Symphonic or House of Blues. Wakeman's always off on some solo project or doing a tele show. I love him and feel a hole when he's not playing with the band. However, his replacements are very capable.
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

All of them...

Postby N2yes » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:51 pm

except for perhaps the Philadelphia effort which I understand pretty much sucked ( horrible sound )! Still, SYMPHONIC is the ONE!!!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

and then there's the boots...

Postby Ed1909 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:48 am

It's worth trying to get some of the non-official DVDs too (but don't ever pay - there's plenty of places to trade on the web, eg The Trading Room at Yesfans.com)

I recently acquired a DVD of the full set from Lugano, Switzerland this year; a TV broadcast that kicks major butt! Worth seeking out.
High vibration go on...
Ed1909

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:17 am

The Ancient has given a pretty good critique of the available DVD's.

My personal favorite of the lot is YesSymphonic. I have the version with the extra documentary disc. It's the closest thing I've found to actually BEING at a Yes concert! Fantastic - I cried during ITPO the first time I watched it.

Yessongs is a sentimental favorite, although it's not a complete concert, it's a great record of a bygone era, and the era where I first saw Yes. I remember taking my cousin Gary to see it in the theatre when it was first released - we went for his 18th birthday, and it was like seeing a concert, we were SO hyped up!

House of Blues is excellent too - just wish they had played New Languages during that show! And I also like the Keys show - the playing is superb and it's a very good recording.

The Philadelphia disc has historic value, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're like me and just want copies of EVERYTHING!

And yes, there's good non-commerical video available on DVD and VCD - I have a number of those - some are about like watching the concert live!

Good luck in procuring some good ones, Gary!
tardistraveler

Postby flowering » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:45 am

Of Course Symphonic is the Live DVD you must have.

But there is a another treasure. Its Yes live at QPR. Its a concert of the relayer tour on two DVD's filmed in 1975. That was the tour with that weird stage design (I hope well get a dvd of a tour with another weird stage design soon ;) ). The Band performs the relayer album, close to the edge, and you and i, yours is no disgrace, sweet dreams, roundabout, all good people and ritual. Gates of delirium, ritual and the heavy rocking yours is no disgrace are performed sooooo well. It might be the best version of ritual i have ever heard. Sure the sound quality is not the very best but good enough to enjoy the concert and stay in front of the tv with an open mouth!
flowering

Veteran Member

Thank you all for your input.......

Postby Gary » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:53 pm

Thanks Flowering for the Yes live at QPR lead. I checked Amazon and they have a $42 pirice attached to it. Does this sound right?
Gary

Charter Member

Postby Independently Whole » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:08 am

Yes, it's ridiculous, but I think I paid about $37 each for QPR.
Independently Whole

Veteran Member

Postby flowering » Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:56 am

its kind of rare. but if i were you i would check ebay. i got them for 16 € each!
flowering

Veteran Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:09 pm

Philadelphia is visually great, but hard :( to listen to. I suppose you need a few beers(like 7 :icon_drin ) to let the good, clear notes absorb out of the pile of murky, swirling junk of a mix.
Yessongs: I have this on VHS from Rhino. Good sound, nice picture- I like the film medium as opposed to video, better colors. This film even looked old around '81 when I saw it, and this gave it a bit of "mystery" and "antique" feel. A decade was a century back then.
The real treat was to have seen this back when it was playing midnight Saturday's in movie theaters. I've never seen it on a bonafide home theater system, but I don't think that means of presentation could match the conventional big screen and superb sound.
Now, that was the way to experience YES! Howe, about 15 feet tall, playing Clap, AGP, AYAI, etc.! The Dean painting planet fragments whooshing through the stars for the intro.[} :) ]
The whole concert was earthy, and exceptionally loud! Howe at his wildest, as i've seen so far. The Wakeman keyboard solo is another highlight, pretty amazing.

House of Blues Las Vegas: Great sound-equal balance of drums, keyboards, guitars; great stage, visually impressive, stylish(except Squire wearing that physician's smock at the beginning :cool: ). Potent version of YIND, (better on Yessongs, IMHO, but snappy, jazzy solo). Really good version of Awaken, and Steve nails the solo on the 12-string electric. My favorite songs are Homeworld, Face to Face, Cinema. OLH is better on this than on Symphonic, as Sherwood almost nails it perfectly. Typical, sort of uncomfortable, yet entertaining, interview section, fun studio footage.

Symphonic: Great intro flying over those fantasy mountains and the Yes logo animation. Visually stunning. Superb sound. Not my favorite version of CTTE- I think the intro solo needs a lot more volume, reverb and distortion like on Yessongs. Optional animations are cool on some songs.
As an added treat, the orchestra, which is clear and powerful.I certainly dig seeing all those cute Dutch chicks playing in the orchestra!! It's like- "Put that instrument down and come over here baby!!" :salook: :icontong
My favorites are Long Distance, Don't Go, In the Presence Of(really great!!), Starship Trooper, Ritual, Gates, and Howe's classical guitar solos of Concerto in D Vivaldi and Mood For a Day. Documentary CD:Typical, sort of uncomfortable, yet entertaining, interview section, fun studio footage, better and more perspectives than the interview part on House of Blues.
Keys to Ascension in San Luis Obispo: Just got this. Sound not as good as HOB or Symphonic(The bass in the mix is prominent so far, and the drums are faint and the highs are a bit scratchy), but the visuals, with video inserts and alternately transparent backgrounds of nature scenes like creeks, trees, cliffs, moons, etc. are really cool. This is a stoner's video! :shrooms :bong
I have only seen Siberian, AGP, and CTTE so far. Again, Howe needs to turn up the distortion a bit on CTTE, but its better than on Symphonic. I sampled a bit of Revealing Science, which is great, and sounds like the studio version.
Anyway, I'm getting "YES hot" and gotta watch this again tonight.........
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby khalpin » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:21 am

[quote="flowering"]Of Course Symphonic is the Live DVD you must have.

But there is a another treasure. Its Yes live at QPR. Its a concert of the relayer tour on two DVD's filmed in 1975. That was the tour with that weird stage design (I hope well get a dvd of a tour with another weird stage design soon ]

QPR is without a doubt, the greatest capturing of the greatness of Yes. Granted, there's no Wakeman, the mix ain't so hot, they didn't play Southside...

But this is Yes in their prime. How can you beat a live show on the tour of the greatest rock album ever recorded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sound Chaser opener, Howe's Telecaster is too low in the mix, but it doesn't matter come the middle section where he totally RIPS! Then you have CttE. Howe's got his Gibson now, which is actually mixed pretty well. And his intro solo is absolutely PHENOMENAL! I'd say it was the highlight of the show, but this show has so many highlights, it's unreal.

Actually, it's Saturday night and I'm typing on my pc talking about a great Yesshow. I'm gonna step out and go watch QPR.
khalpin

Starship Trooper

favorite track on the KEYS DVD??

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Wish I could get a trade on that QPR gig, see "Soundchaser" live.
I hear [color=magenta]QPR has Clap[/color] on it too!![} :) ] [|)]
I think on the viewing line up for tonight is [color=red]Keys. I wanna see "Revealing Science" and "Trooper[/color]"- I can't believe I haven't gotten around to watching these tracks yet. You know maybe it [font=ArnoldBoed]seems[/font]that this isn't the same versions as on the BMG Extended Versions collection or Keys CD(?).

I wonder where the nature visuals were filmed. Could be someplace in SLO County or Sierras.
[|)]
[font=Arial Narrow]Not topic or forum related, but has anyone tried the tab version of Clap(studio version) in Guitar World Acoustic April May 2004 edition?? It is by Andy Aledort and has big chord diagrams before the main tab.[/font]

What's everyone's favorite track on the KEYS DVD??

[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby gtrpir8 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Currently, my favorite dvd is Yessymphonic, but I look forward to Songs from Tsongas later this summer.

Favorite track on Keys? Probably Onward. Howe's use of the classical guitar in place of the electric used on Tormato adds an elegance to the song that really takes it up a notch for my ears.
gtrpir8

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:06 pm

I highly recommend the recently-released 30 Anniversary edition of Rick's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth. Magnificent!!!!
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Keys

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:45 pm

Watched Keys to Ascension DVD last night. "Turn of the Century" was "tear-inducing"(do I really get emotional about music like decades ago?) and "Going For the One" actually gave me goosebumps.
"Time and a Word"- Wakeman does some great keyboard stuff, and saw the great version of "Roundabout", which I had heard on Extended Versions and Keys to Ascension [color=magenta]CD's [/color]. Like I said before, this is one trippy DVD visually.
Alan's drums really don't come in well.
Saving "Awaken" for some other watching session.
By the way, Igor's keyboard work on HOB is great.
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:31 am

[quote="flowering"]Of Course Symphonic is the Live DVD you must have.

But there is a another treasure. Its Yes live at QPR. Its a concert of the relayer tour on two DVD's filmed in 1975. That was the tour with that weird stage design (I hope well get a dvd of a tour with another weird stage design soon ]

I just got this from Amazon and watched it, it is fantastic! Steve in his prime. My son commented that the 70's was really an awful era for clothes, and he's right! Hysterical! But this is indeed a treasure, really good quality for how old it is.
yesireebob

qpr

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:02 pm

Man, I'd get QPR if I had another 37$ to spare! :eek:
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:24 am

Tsongas was well worth the wait! Far and away the best quality Yes DVD to date. A great show, they were spot-on. That was a fantastic tour, I am SO glad to have it on DVD!
yesireebob

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:31 am

Damn right, it was well worth the wait!!! It was a great mix of songs from recently and YESteryear. To me, it's the best live document of Yes, on video or DVD, anyway!!!!
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Symphonic

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:40 pm

Watched Symphonic last night- "Roundabout". That's a pretty fun version(but it's better on ....etc., etc.) with those cute girls from the orchestra.
I read in Progression magazine that Brislin was fairly well stoked because that orchestra toured with them throughout Europe. I'm not sure it was always the same orchestra, but White said they were Polish- this is a country where I have an ex-girlfriend so I can recognized those features-what hotties!!
What's funny is when Howe keeps looking over- he looks doubly inspired when those beautiful girls are dancing along to the music! :) :D
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Moody Blues: Lost Live performance, Paris '70

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:45 pm

I've already mentioned this before but I bought this and have watched it a few times.
I'm pretty sure that at least 75% of it was overdubbed, or they played along to a recording on the PA system. Anyway, it still is an interesting period piece.
On "Tuesday Afternoon" and "Nights in White Satin" Hayward actually is singing, you can tell because he sings different and it sounds live.
In a way, the music is better than on the Red Rocks DVD-because it is the original studio recording mostly!
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby IngnoZac » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:31 pm

I want that QPR video so much!!! > :(

and Yessongs is probably my fav YesVideo, Symphonic is up there too and Philadelphia is too much fun, i dont know why you dislike it so badly!
If you read this line, remember not the hand that wrote it
Remember only the verse, songmaker`s cry, the one without tears
For I`ve given this its strength and it has become my only strength.
IngnoZac

Starship Trooper

Return to YEStalk