YES after 1977

Moderator: N2yes

YES after 1977

Postby hennie552001 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:27 pm

There are so many Best of Yes collection around, but I haven't seen the one Collection that all Yes fans, who stopped supporting the band after they kind of ran out of fashion i the late 70s, really needs: Yes after 1977 - the highlights. I have a lot of friends who could need a CD like that. I brought some of them to the Yes show in the spring this year and they were owerwhelmed by how great this band still is. But a bit annoyed everytime they played a number created after 1977. None of them had heard any Yes music (except Owner that still is constantly on the radio) since the last great Yes album: Going for the One. I will try to enlighten them by making a cd with the BEST MUSIC, not necesarilly the 'greatest radio hits', the group has made since they vanished into obscurity. As even I don't have all the Trevor Rabit CDs, it would be partly enlightening myself a bit too, so I ask for your assistance: What would be the tracklist of this CD?
I have my own preliminary track list, but I'll get back to that later.
and the flowering creativity of life, wove it's web ...
hennie552001

Charter Member

RABIT?

Postby hennie552001 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:29 pm

It was a typing error. I know the guys name.
hennie552001

Charter Member

Hmm, good idea . . .

Postby theproffet » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:04 pm

Okay, preliminary list . . . chronologically . . .

Silent Wings of Freedom (Maybe a nice live take, which is rare . . .)
Does It Really Happen?
Cinema
Leave It (a capella)
Shoot High, Aim Low
Masquerade
That, That Is
Mind Drive
Universal Garden

Haven't timed it out, that may be a disc worth, so far . . .

I don't know how it would flow together, but I should put together this mix for some local friends, perhaps . . .
"You like your life in a free form style, you'll take an inch, but you'd love a mile . . ."
theproffet

Starship Trooper

Postby wild_westie » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:23 pm

I work in radio and I am appalled by the small playlist that exists with Yes' music. Post '77 songs that are available for play are "Owner" and "Leave It". Actually, the station I have just recently joined, has those two. The other station just had "Owner". "Going for the One" isn't on the list! Those stupid corportate consultants! On occasion, with the risk of losing my job, at the other station, I would play a lot of Yes music that wasn't on their playlist. Radio and their so-called consultants haven't an ounce of knowledge of what Yes music should be played.
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:34 am

wild_westie wrote:I work in radio and I am appalled by the small playlist that exists with Yes' music. Post '77 songs that are available for play are "Owner" and "Leave It". Actually, the station I have just recently joined, has those two. The other station just had "Owner". "Going for the One" isn't on the list! Those stupid corportate consultants! On occasion, with the risk of losing my job, at the other station, I would play a lot of Yes music that wasn't on their playlist. Radio and their so-called consultants haven't an ounce of knowledge of what Yes music should be played.

Which is EXACTLY why so many people think the guy are dead and are super shocked to hear that they still tour.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby Gary » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:29 pm

hennie552001 wrote:There are so many Best of Yes collection around, but I haven't seen the one Collection that all Yes fans, who stopped supporting the band after they kind of ran out of fashion i the late 70s, really needs: Yes after 1977 - the highlights. I have a lot of friends who could need a CD like that. I brought some of them to the Yes show in the spring this year and they were owerwhelmed by how great this band still is. But a bit annoyed everytime they played a number created after 1977. None of them had heard any Yes music (except Owner that still is constantly on the radio) since the last great Yes album: Going for the One. I will try to enlighten them by making a cd with the BEST MUSIC, not necesarilly the 'greatest radio hits', the group has made since they vanished into obscurity. As even I don't have all the Trevor Rabit CDs, it would be partly enlightening myself a bit too, so I ask for your assistance: What would be the tracklist of this CD?

Yessongs and Yesshows will pretyy much cover the early greatest hits. And, as far as live albums go, these 2 are top notch.
Gary

Charter Member

Postby Vaguson » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:44 pm

It'd have to be a 2 disc set, with about three songs from each album. Unless, you can only have one disc...what's the rules, here? (And these list probably wouldn't fit on a disc each, anyway...)

DISC ONE
Future Times/Rejoice
Don't Kill the Whale
Release, Release
Machine Messiah
Does It Really Happen
Tempus Fugit
Owner of A Lonely Heart
Changes
Hearts
Rhythm of Love
Shoot High, Aim Low
Love Will Find a Way

DISC TWO
I Would Have Waited Forever
Miracle of Life
The More We Live - Let Go
The Calling
I Am Waiting OR State of Play
Endless Dream
Be the One
Footprints
Mind Drive
Open Your Eyes
Homeworld
Maginification
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.
Vaguson

Veteran Member

My CD ... so far

Postby hennie552001 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:50 pm

I have made a preliminary disc that I'm quite pleased with. It's like this:

1. In the Presence of ...
2. Masquerade
3. Miracle of life
4. The Meeting
5. Tempus Fugit
6. Lightning Strikes
7. Can I
8. Face to Face
9. Dreamtime
10. Quartet
11. Homeworld
12. Angkor Wat

Thinkin' about how to squeeze in Brother of Mine, Shoot High, Mardigal, and a couple of others...

Vaguson, there are of course no rules, but I think one CD of 'new' material is more than enough to digest as an introduction to Yes after '77. You could argue that Tormato is the last of the old Yes, but it is still surprisingly unfamiliar to the great majority of former Yes lovers. Remember Yes were SO big back in the mid 70s. Tales, the strangest double album ever, went straight to no. 1 in the US, and I think they still have the record of selling out MSG seven days in a row. They probably lost about 90 per cent of the fan base between Tales and Tormato. So I think we would have to re-run their career from Tormato and to this day. And I think we should avoid too 80s pop-oriented stuff. If everyone here at YesTalk made one CD and sent to an old lopst Yes brother it would be nice.
hennie552001

Charter Member

Radio Stations

Postby hennie552001 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:56 pm

wild_westie wrote:I work in radio and I am appalled by the small playlist that exists with Yes' music. Post '77 songs that are available for play are "Owner" and "Leave It". Actually, the station I have just recently joined, has those two. The other station just had "Owner". "Going for the One" isn't on the list! Those stupid corportate consultants! On occasion, with the risk of losing my job, at the other station, I would play a lot of Yes music that wasn't on their playlist. Radio and their so-called consultants haven't an ounce of knowledge of what Yes music should be played.

Isn't this true when it comes to just about any band. For instance, if a radio station plays Procol Harum, 99 out of 100 times it's 'Whiter Shade of Pale'. And this band has a lot of songs that are just as good, but are never played. And that one, WSoP is so overplayed! I could go on and on ... Why is it like that? (Maybe this should be a separate thread if anyone wants to discuss the issue?)
hennie552001

Charter Member

Postby Vaguson » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:16 pm

Okay...working on one disc here (Even though it wouldn't fit...):

Don't Kill the Whale
On the Silent Wings of Freedom
Machine Messiah
Tempus Fugit
Changes
Hearts
Shoot High, Aim Low
Miracle of Life
The Calling
Endless Dream
Foot Prints
Open Your Eyes
Homeworld
Magnification
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby hennie552001 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:32 pm

Nice one, Vaguson. Press burn! I'll have to check out Endless Dream some day, seems like a lot of people here like it. I don't have the CD. Mind Drive is also OK, but maybe it will take up too much space on a single disc. I like (and real Yes fans like) long works, so I will concider it. Heard it live earlier this year, when they divided it into two parts with other numbers sandwiched in between. And most people probably thought that was OK, I know I did. But: Imagine if they did this with Close to the Edge (there would be a riot).
hennie552001

Charter Member

Postby Vaguson » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:29 pm

So you don't have Talk, eh? That's the album almost nobody heard...VERY under-appreciated, unless you talk to Terry, right, my man? ;)

The Calling and Endless Dream are the best songs on the album, and they are DEFINITELY as good as anything else Yes has done, and deserve to be included with the hits. Talk really was the last great (well...pretty good) Yes album. Everything after that has just been...well, either too contrived or just "blah". Even Jon himself said of Talk: "I don't think I will be singing like this for a while, if ever again..." or something like that. It was the end of the old, and the start of the new age of Yes...
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby The Ancient » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:10 pm

Vaguson, you really know how to pick 'em. Talk is essential Yes.
The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby Vaguson » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:04 pm

Thanks Ancient! Nice to hear that from someone else...!

By the way, here's that quote of Jon's I was talking about...It's from a pretty good interview about what he was doing with Deseo, Talk, etc. This is really one of my favorite quotes from him. It seems very weighty to me, almost like he knew what would happen...

"There's a new album of Yes now, called Talk. And I think it's really, really a very special album. The record companies, the music biz think it's OK... but I think it's very special, so I'm gonna stand by it. To me it's the classic Yes. It's the best music of the band for a long time. It's going back to the classic moments of Yes. I think, in my heart, this is the last time I will sing like this, the last time that I will be making music like this. I have to move into another momentum. So I'm very happy we finished with a great album. There will be more Yes stuff, but it won't be like what it's been. I'm looking now into another way of thinking. I know it sounds crazy but in my head I know what I'm thinking about. Maybe in a couple of years we will do another Yes album but it will be sooo different."

Here's the link:
http://www.tranglos.com/marek/yes/ja_interview_1994.html
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby The Ancient » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:10 pm

I have noticed the way Jon borrows from song lyrics to form his comments to interviewers about the material and I think that was the case here. "This is the last time....getting it-this life..." The first couple of times I listened to the disc, without reading the lyric sheet that came with it, I understood him to say: "This is the last time getting it this right".

Maybe indeed it was the last time they got it that right.
The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby proghead » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:19 pm

You have to start it with 'Take the Water to The Mountain'. I
always wanted to start a Yes collection with that track because
it's so atmosphereric and builds to the thunder. It seems to be
tucked at the end of Union in the middle of some bad tracks
that I never get to. So I never listen to it much. Besides it's
probably the shortest Yes track less than 3 minutes I bet. It
would fit in when you don't have enough time left for another
typical long Yes track. I wish they could start their concert
with this then rip right into Siberia ... right after the thunder.
Progressive will never be a popular form of music simply due to the fact that the average person has a 'attention span' of less than three minutes with a simple beat.
proghead

Veteran Member

Take the Water to the Mountain

Postby hennie552001 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:02 pm

You're right. This is actually not a bad track.
Think I will have to invest in Talk before I go any further.
Listening to CDs from the actuall periode, I find myself liking ABWH better and better (a real Yes album).
And I have to buy Tormato. I only have it on vinyl. Is there a remastered CD with bonus tracks of that?
hennie552001

Charter Member

Postby Vaguson » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:31 pm

Yes, there is, and it actually has a whopping NINE extra tracks on it. Check out this link to Rhino records, the company that's been doing the remasters:

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=73794
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Best Yes - outside main sequence

Postby innerPact » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:32 pm

i did a poll a few months ago called "Best Yes - outside main sequence". following were the top vote getters:

1. Endless Dream (8)
1. In the Presence Of (8)
3. Homeworld (6)
3. Machine Messiah (6)
3. Mind Drive (6)
3. On the Silent Wings of Freedom (6)
7. Survival (5)
7. Tempus Fugit (5)
9. America (4)
9. Astral Traveller (4)
9. Future Times (4)
innerPact

Veteran Member

Postby geoff feakes » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:51 pm

proghead wrote:You have to start it with 'Take the Water to The Mountain'. I
always wanted to start a Yes collection with that track because
it's so atmosphereric and builds to the thunder. It seems to be
tucked at the end of Union in the middle of some bad tracks
that I never get to. So I never listen to it much. Besides it's
probably the shortest Yes track less than 3 minutes I bet.

Proghead, If you like this track then you really should treat yourself to the 'Perfect Union' bootleg which includes the full length version, (the 'Union' version is an edit). It concludes with a fine guitar solo, followed by some nice vocal harmonies, and is far superior to the edit version.
"Turn around to The Healing Colours of Sound"
geoff feakes

Veteran Member

Take the Water to The Mountain - Bootleg Version

Postby proghead » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:19 pm

Somewhere I have a copy of that! My Yes fanatic friend
makes copies of all the Yes rarities for me. It's a longer track
and I remember with an extra Howe solo in it. If did bring
new life to that song! The sound quaility wasn't too hot if
I recall. Glad you mention it! It's time to pull it out and give
it another listen.

I wouldn't say it's my ultimate favorite Yes classic or
anything but there's something about it where it should be
up front the beginning of a Yes medley.

I know most of you think I'm nuts. I'll get the last
laugh if they start using it as their opener the next time
they tour.
Progressive will never be a popular form of music simply due to the fact that the average person has a 'attention span' of less than three minutes with a simple beat.
proghead

Veteran Member

Postby happytheman » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:26 pm

geoff feakes wrote:Proghead, If you like this track then you really should treat yourself to the 'Perfect Union' bootleg which includes the full length version, (the 'Union' version is an edit). It concludes with a fine guitar solo, followed by some nice vocal harmonies, and is far superior to the edit version.

Where does one find such a gem as "Perfect Union"? I have heard about this for years. Apparently the "original" versions before the "studio" musicians came in. Also I have heard about a copy of that tour available on VHS. Anyone seen a DVD version of this?
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby proghead » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:15 am

I don't know about now since they have really cracked
down on bootlegs but back in the 80s they were sold
at record conventions. You would end up paying top dollar
for them also. Also I don't see adds for them anymore
like I use to.

I found the track. My friend put it at the end of
Jon's Animation taken from record LP. They certainly
did add more to the song didn't they? The extra vocals
are nice along with Howe and Squire playing. Don't get
to excited out there about getting it though. As I said
the sound quality is not that great.

Now for a question. I saw the Union Tour twice, once
at the beginning and again near the end. They did
not play this song. Also I have the Union tour concert
on VHS copied from the old laser disks (Remember those?)
They did not play this song on there either. Does anyone
remember when they did this live? Is there any info
on the bootleg?
proghead

Veteran Member

Postby proghead » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:21 am

I guess from the recording I can't tell
if it's live or studio. I assumed it's live
due to the sound. If it's studio then
forget my question. Chances are they
never played it live.
proghead

Veteran Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:35 am

hennie552001 wrote:Isn't this true when it comes to just about any band. For instance, if a radio station plays Procol Harum, 99 out of 100 times it's 'Whiter Shade of Pale'. And this band has a lot of songs that are just as good, but are never played. And that one, WSoP is so overplayed! I could go on and on ... Why is it like that? (Maybe this should be a separate thread if anyone wants to discuss the issue?)

look at what they reduced Grand funk railroad too
a 1 hit wonder lol
they had a bunch of big hits
now there just an american band
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:46 am

hennie552001 wrote:There are so many Best of Yes collection around, but I haven't seen the one Collection that all Yes fans, who stopped supporting the band after they kind of ran out of fashion i the late 70s, really needs: Yes after 1977 - the highlights. I have a lot of friends who could need a CD like that. I brought some of them to the Yes show in the spring this year and they were owerwhelmed by how great this band still is. But a bit annoyed everytime they played a number created after 1977. None of them had heard any Yes music (except Owner that still is constantly on the radio) since the last great Yes album: Going for the One. I will try to enlighten them by making a cd with the BEST MUSIC, not necesarilly the 'greatest radio hits', the group has made since they vanished into obscurity. As even I don't have all the Trevor Rabit CDs, it would be partly enlightening myself a bit too, so I ask for your assistance: What would be the tracklist of this CD?

I guess the question implies that they wouldnt have heard Drama or Tormato
but might have heard Going for the one.
so ;
Silent Wings Of Freedom-Release-Release
Tempus fugit-Madrigal-Machine Messiah
White Car- cinema/Leave it-
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:57 am

it can happen-Changes
Shoot High Aim low-final Eyes
holy lamb-Masquerade
Lift Me Up-Miracle of Life
The Calling-Endless Dream
That, That is
Mind Drive
Universal Garden-Homeworld
New Language-Nine Voices
In the Presence of-Spirit Of Survival
Time Is Time
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:58 am

This isn't really a bad idea, considering that some of Yes' later albums did have some filler material on them. Lemme try this.

Release, Release
On The Silent Wings Of Freedom
Into The Lens
Tempus Fugit
Owner Of A Lonely Heart
Changes
Leave It
Rhythm Of Love
Shoot High Aim Low
Birthright
The Meeting
Miracle Of Life
The More We Live-Let Go
Silent Talking
The Calling
I Am Waiting
Be The One
Footprints
Bring Me To The Power
New State Of Mind
Open Your Eyes
Homeworld (The Ladder)
Lightning Strikes
Don't Go
Can You Imagine
In The Presence Of

This is probably about three CD's or so and I know I should have put Endless Dream on this list, as much as I REALLY love that song and would put it at "classic" status, I tried to limit the more epic side of things as I feel that stuff could be more along the lines of having them a separate CD, such as:

Future Times/Rejoice
Machine Messiah
Hearts
Brother Of Mine
Endless Dream
Mind Drive
Homeworld (The Ladder)
Dreamtime
In The Presence Of

I'm not sure if this will all fit on one CD, but a great line-up nonetheless.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Thanks for all the input

Postby hennie552001 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:11 pm

A lot of great tracks to chose from, no doubt about it. The tricky thing is to find the tracks that would trigger a new interest for the group from long lost fans from the first wave of Yes fans.
hennie552001

Charter Member

You could probably squeeze this onto an 80-minute CD

Postby purplewolfhound » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:33 pm

Chronologically...

Release, Release
Does It Really Happen?
Leave It (a cappella)
Hearts
Shoot High Aim Low
Lift Me Up
The Calling (long version)
Be the One
Foot Prints
New State of Mind
Homeworld
Give Love Each Day
Political ends, as sad remains, will die.
purplewolfhound

Next

Return to YEStalk