Rumour has it...

Moderator: N2yes

Rumour has it...

Postby N2yes » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:05 am

that Jon does indeed tend to take an extended break which, if true, may very well put a rather huge damper on any recording efforts in the near future. Now, I'm not one to put too much stock into heresay, however, there may be some legitimacy behind this one. These words, though not quoted per se, I believe may have come from an interview given some time fairly recently. Question is, after all of the info that has leaked out regarding a likely studio session in February, what are we to think, or for that matter, should we simply discard this as yet another of Jon's out-loud ruminations?? Anyone have anything on this?
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Vaguson » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:28 pm

All I can say is, "Argh."

Thanks for the info, Chris...
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby ImstillYesmam » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:34 am

I for one hope it's hearsay!!!

With the release date of their DVD pushed back, if they are also delayed getting into the studio it would be a disappointment to this fan.
Theres a time, and the time is now, and it's right for me,
Theres a word, and word is love, and it's right for me. [:yes]
ImstillYesmam

Veteran Member

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:37 am

N2yes wrote:that Jon does indeed tend to take an extended break which, if true, may very well put a rather huge damper on any recording efforts in the near future. Now, I'm not one to put too much stock into heresay, however, there may be some legitimacy behind this one. These words, though not quoted per se, I believe may have come from an interview given some time fairly recently. Question is, after all of the info that has leaked out regarding a likely studio session in February, what are we to think, or for that matter, should we simply discard this as yet another of Jon's out-loud ruminations?? Anyone have anything on this?

Well, I think the rest of the band is intent on laying down tracks no matter what. The info I heard was that they knew Jon didn't want to go into the studio for quite a while and were more than willing to let him come in later and add to the effort. However, I have heard too, that Jon is not happy with the state of things, such as they are--so who knows with this band? It's an ever-changing chameleon.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Why?

Postby EricBliss12345 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:45 am

Maybe Jon isn't ready to do an album yet.

Or maybe they're going to start recording without him so it sounds less like a Jon solo album which happens to feature Yes members. Look at the last 2 releases. No doubt, some great Yessish bits here and there but Jon's lyrical and musical cheesejuice is splattered throughout.

Look at the last truly great track they did "Mind Drive." Jon pops in at just the right times. I'm not saying I want less of Jon's voice necessarily, but perhaps a bit less of his influence on the songs.

As of late, he hasn't been doing the "voice as part of the band" thing. It's just been his rambling, recycled river mountain nature love lyrics recycled into a song with a different title.

"Show Me" certainly isn't a good pointer towards the future.

If he's not ready, hes not ready! Nothing we can do? Would you rather them rush out a good, yet not great album like the Ladder or unleash a true modern Yes classic? Though I doubt they'd do the latter I'm sure more time off wouldnt hurt. Maybe they won't do another album at all. Who knows. I personally think the catalog is big enough already!
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby tommy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:40 pm

Chris is in the studio with the Syn at the moment. So who knows what is what. The Syn singer is Steve Nardelli and quite capable of replacing Jon if that's the way it goes. You never quite know with Yes, anything is possible!
tommy

Postby Vaguson » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:11 pm

Yikes. That sounds like a potential Tormato break up all over again. Seriously...if Jon doesn't feel like being a part of Yes for a couple of years and the rest of them do, maybe they'll replace him again. And who knows with Rick? He's said he's looking forward to being a part of Yes again, but how long will it last?

So, maybe the guys will replace Jon and make a new album, or perhaps they won't feel confident trying to make a successful album/tour without Jon's songwriting skills and classic stage presence.
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby Vaguson » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:14 pm

I meant to clarify the part about Jon not being apart of Yes and the guys not having the confidence to make a new album without him: It's going to be REALLY hard these days, when Yes' popularity is already waning. This ain't the '70s, folks.

On the other hand, who knows? Maybe the next generation (myself included) will keep the torch of Yes fandom burning...thoughts, anyone?
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby Terry Shea » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:37 pm

At this time I don't see much point in speculation. I'm not sure how long an "extended break" means, but Jon is 60 years old and the rest not too far behind and if he or they decide to retire I certainly think they've earned it. Their decisions are their decisions and are not likely to be influenced by the fanbase at this point, so why worry about it? Whatever happens, happens.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby tommy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:41 am

I'd like to see Yes evolve with new members if neccessary, rather than disappear. Why not have a Yes dynasty that perpetuates the wonderful musical foundation they have created over the last 35 years. It's the ability to change and intergrate new quality personel over the years that has kept them going.
tommy

Hmm . . .

Postby theproffet » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:01 am

I'm thinking of this, with one eye to the Yes touring thing--the boys have been doing well--I've seen some Billboard information saying they placed sixteenth in concerts this year. For a 70's band, that's very damn good . . .

And yet . . .

Jon's a bit burnt out, but perhaps studio work may be may do-able?

Hell, I wouldn't mind a bit less of Jon on another release . . .
"You like your life in a free form style, you'll take an inch, but you'd love a mile . . ."
theproffet

Starship Trooper

Postby Dr_Yes » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:17 am

I think Jon's just jaded and a bit pissed off with everything. It's been a long tour and despite his openly lovey-doveyness on stage he's still a nightmare to work with. His love/hate thing with Chris has resurfaced as a result of the pressure of playing the same old stuff again and again and again and their erm . . . .obviously different lifestyles, added to which, he's disillusioned with the whole industry - again.

A break is much needed and well earned.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby Vaguson » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:12 pm

I agree, Dr. ...Poor Jon had put so much hope into Open Your Eyes, The Ladder, and Magnification, and none of them did as well he hoped. That can kind of put a damper on your motivation, eh?

And Terry, you're right, IMO...he most certainly has earned his rest. But I can dream, can't I? ;)
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby proghead » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:24 pm

I remember so well when Rick joined this last time it
made to the news of our local rock station. They
interviewed him and asked why he joined again.
He said something like, "I can't wait to get into
the studio and record with Yes again."

Ho Hum.
Progressive will never be a popular form of music simply due to the fact that the average person has a 'attention span' of less than three minutes with a simple beat.
proghead

Veteran Member

Postby Megalodon » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:51 am

I personally feel that Yes would not be the same without Jon Anderson,
His influence has made Yes the kind of band that gives that mystical,
colorful feel to the music. Not to mention his sense of melody and unique
vocals is a big part of Yes' sound. I really hope Jon is in the next recording
effort whole-heartedly!
" Another chance at victory, another chance to score"
Megalodon

Charter Member

Postby yesireebob » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:54 am

When Jon talked to me and my son at the airport, he mentioned doing a double-CD solo project after the tour. I think he mentioned that in an interview as well. A massive follow-up to Olias. Sounds like he has some of his own material he wants to work on for now. And why not, the band has toured very extensively for the last couple of years and I'm sure some distance, some individual projects will do them all some good. But as good as they have been playing together on tour, it would really be a shame if they did not get together for one more collaboration as Yes! (and another tour!)

I agree, Yes is just not Yes without Jon. He may not be the backbone, but his voice and song writing are the heart and soul of the band.
yesireebob

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:18 am

theproffet wrote:I'm thinking of this, with one eye to the Yes touring thing--the boys have been doing well--I've seen some Billboard information saying they placed sixteenth in concerts this year. For a 70's band, that's very damn good . . .

16th in the number of concerts, or in the gross profits...which is it?

And as to the llifestyle differences between Chris and Jon, well Chris HAS settled down a bit in the last year or so, but they do not care for each other on a personal level. I was once told thta they would not be caught dead together in a social situation.

But I think there is also a rub between them regarding the touring setlists. Chris, reportedly, would like to do some Drama material as well as YesWest. The setlist for the last tour was essentially done at Jon's insistence so that he could pace his voice during each performance.

The grind of touring is what really did Jon's voice in this year, in addition to his breathing problems. From what I've hard, his voice is already much improved, so a new album is doable. Besides, if it's not right on the first take, you've got more than one chance.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:27 pm

I wouldn't be too happy if Yes didn't record another album again, but I would understand the conditions if it happens. I would like to see (i highly doubt this is possible, but why not?) Trevor and Steve working together. They are two wonderful guitar players and the best guitarists that Yes featured (no offense to Peter Banks or Billy Sherwood) even though they both have different styles. Steve has a more jazz and classical influence and Trevor has a more fusion/hard rock and he's waayy more technical and very, very fast, speedy picking. You can definitely tell that Trevor had PLENTY of classical training, whereas, Steve basically taught himself and for someone who taught himself, he is pretty damn good! Ever since I heard that they played alongside each other at the Trevor H. tribute show, Steve must have been willing to play and share the same stage as Trevor and they must have gotten along well. I would also love to hear Trevor playing with Rick. I think it would be the ultimate Yes line-up: Jon, Trevor, Steve, Chris, Rick, and Alan. Of course, I know I'm probably dreaming up a fantasy here, but who can really tell what's gonna happen with Yes?
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby psychopomp95 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:13 am

Take a year or so off, do solo projects, come back, record a new album (and the idea about the band laying down the music first isn't a bad one actually), tour it a little - not run themselves into the ground but good, solid, two-hour shows at decent-sized 2-4000 seat venues - and then, wrap up with a two-three day festival EXTRAVAGANZA, featuring any current and ex-Yes member who wants to come along. Fill the 'festival' event (such as it is) with nothing but songs by the various lineups of Yes, along with solo shows by all the ex-members (or their bands - Asia, Conspiracy) to fill out the time!
But I've mentioned that last idea before. ;) Still, just because Yes is aging doesn't mean they have to wrap it up JUST yet. I see 2007 as their last year, actually, but I could be wrong. I will say that it's pretty much pointless for them to continue on as Yes without Jon - in fact, at this point, I think any lineup 'subtraction' would prove to be fatal.
psychopomp95

Starship Trooper

Postby N2yes » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:48 pm

Thoughtbecontact wrote:
And as to the llifestyle differences between Chris and Jon, well Chris HAS settled down a bit in the last year or so, but they do not care for each other on a personal level. I was once told thta they would not be caught dead together in a social situation.
Now, this strikes me as not necessarily being the case at all anymore. In fact, this comes as rather big news to me. TBC, where exactly did you hear/read this?

Thoughtbecontact wrote: But I think there is also a rub between them regarding the touring setlists. Chris, reportedly, would like to do some Drama material as well as YesWest. The setlist for the last tour was essentially done at Jon's insistence so that he could pace his voice during each performance.

This rings of significant more truth than the previous and doesn't really surprise me to be honest. These two are so crucial to the sound of YES that their diverging opinions have really helped to forge the overall product. As to live presentations, well, disagreements would seem to follow a natural path. Perhaps Jon's voice, being so essential, was given the highest priority as seems the case here.
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Vaguson » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:14 pm

Topo, I'm right with you. I had started a thread about this but had gotten a lot of negative responses, which I completely understand, but oh well. I too think it would be THE ultimate Yes lineup. I always wished Rick had made it onto Talk. MAN OH MAN!! I REALLY want to hear Rick and Trevor together. PLEASE!

Yer right about the Horn Tribute...that may be a beginning. I'm really hoping they can heal wounds, whether or not they ever play together. And folks, I know most of you are probably wishing they'd just stick to the current "Classic" lineup (and it's likely), but Trev may be just what Yes needs right now! THAT'D be news, and I think their popularity would go up significantly amongst Troopers and Generators alike.
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:17 pm

N2yes wrote:Now, this strikes me as not necessarily being the case at all anymore. In fact, this comes as rather big news to me. TBC, where exactly did you hear/read this?

This rings of significant more truth than the previous and doesn't really surprise me to be honest. These two are so crucial to the sound of YES that their diverging opinions have really helped to forge the overall product. As to live presentations, well, disagreements would seem to follow a natural path. Perhaps Jon's voice, being so essential, was given the highest priority as seems the case here.

Let's just say that I know Chris' girlfriend. And if you're going to say, well Chris is married, hmmmmm, let's just say that he and wife #2 have split.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby Dr_Yes » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:27 pm

N2yes wrote:Now, this strikes me as not necessarily being the case at all anymore. In fact, this comes as rather big news to me. TBC, where exactly did you hear/read this?

I think it is VERY MUCH the case that they don't get on and that they are currently very far apart, as it were. And I know there was a LOT of hassle within the ranks during the rehearsals for the last tour.

Dr_Yes

Well, ya know...

Postby N2yes » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:34 am

prior to Jon's first departure, this very scene was playing out between Jon and Chris. However, after the release of THE LADDER, I really thought things had changed, dramatically, in fact. Hmmm....there certainly isn't a torrent of info on this available. Troubles deciding on just what to play during tours might be expected with this lot of creative minds, but they way you two talk, man, it sounds like they are smack-dab on the rocks again! I wonder how I could have missed all of this.
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:03 am

Dr_Yes wrote:I think it is VERY MUCH the case that they don't get on and that they are currently very far apart, as it were. And I know there was a LOT of hassle within the ranks during the rehearsals for the last tour.

Oh THAT's for sure. There was quite a bit of animosity, and it just wasn't between Jon and Chris. It was much more far-reaching than that. I think we're going to hear the outcomes soon as Henry Potts, on his website, is reporting the "rumour" about Trevor Horn producing the new album. Interesting time are forthcoming.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby qman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:14 am

YES deserve a break, and I hope that they will most likely find their way back to each other again. An interview I saw with Jon, he said that he had tons of songs penned that he needed to finally record. I believe he hears the clock ticking and wants to get busy laying these tracks down. This seems like the perfect time with Chris doing the SYN reunion. I have not heard Anderson say one positive word about recording a new YES cd with Rick. Not because of Rick but as a previous post said I think Jon was disappointed that OYE, The Ladder, and Magnification did not sell the way he had expected. FM radio has abandoned playing new releases from established bands and even though YES can (for the most part) still sell out MSG in NYC the truth is older fans in their 40's do not buy as many CD's as younger folks do. I'm an exception, as I am a music nut but my close friends buy two or three CD's a year while I buy 50. The sad part is that YES fans in their 40's and 50's have more money now to buy CD's then they have ever had before! Unfortunatelythey have let that part of themselves slip away as they sit on the couch and channel surf or attend their childrens various events. As for Rabin ever coming back, no way, he is making a ton of cash scoring movies and has a waiting list lined up. There is a better chance of Peter Banks coming back than Rabin :D and we know that ain't happening. Or is it.......................................................... :eek:
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

Charter Member

Postby Dr_Yes » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:17 am

Thoughtbecontact wrote:... it just wasn't between Jon and Chris. It was much more far-reaching than that.

Oh I know. I alluded to that, I thought, by saying there was hassle within the RANKS in the rehearsals. It's a weird set-up really: none of them ever seem to get on 'socially' do they.

Dr_Yes

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:23 pm

Dr_Yes wrote:Oh I know. I alluded to that, I thought, by saying there was hassle within the RANKS in the rehearsals. It's a weird set-up really: none of them ever seem to get on 'socially' do they.

Yes, I guess you did allude to that. But this latest thing appears not to be a social problem at all. And if one looks closely enough and interprets it, you can see where the crack is. Henry Potts' site is becfomingmore interesting by the day!
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby Olias7 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:21 pm

Wow!! The [:yes] guys not getting along now?? :eek:

After just 35 years together, who knew?
[:u]*** We don't even need to try - We are One! ***[:u]
Olias7

Starship Trooper

Postby wild_westie » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:56 am

Olias7 wrote:Wow!! The [:yes] guys not getting along now?? :eek:

After just 35 years together, who knew?