Old News? New News?

Moderator: N2yes

Old News? New News?

Postby happytheman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:03 pm

I've herad these rumours for some time now but this seems to confirm it. Good to hear Chris wants to include some "Drama" era stuff, could be this is the long awaited "More Drama" tour that was aborted some time back.

Rock band Yes to tour with replacement singer
By MARGIE SZAROLETA

WASHINGTON (AP) - The classic rock band Yes, which was forced to cancel their 40th anniversary tour this year due to the illness of its lead singer, has decided to relaunch the tour with an ``understudy'' - a Yes tribute band singer.

Benoit David, who sings in several Yes tribute bands in Montreal, will replace Jon Anderson on the ``In the Present'' tour, which kicks of Nov. 4 in Ontario, Canada, according to bassist Chris Squire.

``I think it's all going to work out fine,'' Squire told The Associated Press on Wednesday. ``Of course, realistically, there's an element of risk, but there always is.''

Yes, which consists of Squire, Anderson, guitarist Steve Howe and drummer Alan White, scrapped their anniversary tour in June after Anderson suffered acute respiratory failure and was ordered by doctors to rest six months.

Squire found David on the Internet after a friend sent him a YouTube clip of David's tribute band, Close To The Edge. Squire liked what he saw and called David to offer an audition.

``The first thing he said to me was, 'Well, I'm looking around to see where the cameras are in case I'm being punked,''' Squire said.

Yes has taken a page from another classic rock group, Journey, who selected Arnel Pineda, a sound-a-like of old lead singer Steve Perry, to be their singer after the group discovered him singing Journey songs on YouTube. Pineda sang on the group's successful comeback album this year and has also been touring with them.

It's not the first time Yes has had a singer besides Anderson. Trevor Horn sang on the 1980 Yes album ``Drama'' when Anderson briefly left the band. Squire hopes to work songs from that album into the set for the upcoming tour, plus a few songs he said were not Anderson's favorites to perform live but the rest of the band likes.

``You can't ever really replace Jon Anderson, because he's been such a force in the music business,'' Squire said. ``We look upon his replacement as more of an understudy.''

Squire said he is hopeful Anderson will be well enough to do shows next year.

Yes' hits include ``I've Seen All Good People'' and ``Owner of a Lonely Heart.
happytheman

Charter Member

Re: Old News? New News?

Postby Kalingzeye » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Hm... well that looks like it's pretty decided then... I dunno really... if I'd go to that tour... If one of the bigger draws is Drama stuff, I'm not really a big fan of it solely because there was no Jon on that one. Though Tempus Fugit is freakin amazing, so eh... I'm really on the fence on this one. The different song draw (stuff other than Drama) might be a reason for me to go... god knows I've heard enough Roundabout to last me a lifetime... but I can't say anything for sure until one of them says some of the songs they actually plan on playing. I can't think of that those songs could be, "not Anderson's favorites to perform live but the rest of the band likes."... o_o But I certainly hope Benoit's treated as an understudy, and not as a replacement... that would make me feel a little better... a little. :\
Kalingzeye

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:10 pm

I'm guessing the setlist will be heavy on Howe/Squire things . . . very cool!

Waiting to see the tour dates and see if they'll be playing anywhere close enough for me to go.
tardistraveler

Postby fragilesi » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Excellent, I have no idea how good this guy is but I like the idea of seeing some of the Drama stuff live. It's not exactly a long album so it's probably not going to make up more than 15-20% of the show.

If they can add in something like Parallels plus a few of the old favourites then I'd be more than happy. Just hope it goes well enough for a UK leg of the tour.
fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby in2yes » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:52 pm

Greetings all! I'm in, I've been waiting a long time!
Please come to DC metropolitan area!!
[:yes] [:idr] [|)] [} :) ] [:y2] [:yes] [:idr] [|)] [} :) ] [:y2] [:yes] [:idr] [|)] [} :) ] [:y2]
"...whatever thought you have, can become a new dream..."
in2yes

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:30 am

Watch and listen and judge for yourselves. He does sound a bit like Jon amnd the band is not too bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_4KPu7Od24&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3BFuxBayxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSfIYzYZm6U&feature=related

And here is an interesting take of "Long Distance Runaround" by South American tribute band YesSpirit with a little bit of salsa in the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZGHs85LS7s&feature=related
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby in2yes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:35 am

Thank you, Tom for putting up those links. I've watched /listened and I agree with you Tom. He does sound like Jon. He even dresses like Jon! The band sounded good too.
I'll go to the show, if they come close enough to home. I will miss not having Jon there, maybe if I keep my eyes closed.....
"...whatever thought you have, can become a new dream..."
in2yes

Charter Member

Postby IngnoZac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:16 pm

Hahaha nice tango intro there!

Well, he does sounds like Jon (and dresses like him too, as in2 said...), however... not trying to get (too much) on the Brazilian side, what do you guys think about the YesSongs singer, Roger Troyji?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOrDvwVj2rg In the Presence Of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86v5SXbyHWQ And You And I

:)
If you read this line, remember not the hand that wrote it
Remember only the verse, songmaker`s cry, the one without tears
For I`ve given this its strength and it has become my only strength.
IngnoZac

Starship Trooper

Postby ANDERSONG » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:27 pm

YAY Drama stuff!! Can't check out the videos yet as youtube is blocked at my office, but I will definitely go to see this show. And as I live in Hamilton Ontario, it sounds like I'll see the first show. Bring on a 3 hour show!!!
ANDERSONG

Postby TaterMouse » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:17 am

in2yes wrote:Thank you, Tom for putting up those links. I've watched /listened and I agree with you Tom. He does sound like Jon. He even dresses like Jon! The band sounded good too.
I'll go to the show, if they come close enough to home. I will miss not having Jon there, maybe if I keep my eyes closed.....

I'm serious. Get the new mystery album. It's really hot. I think you'll appreciate the guy a little more if you check out the original material.
"So back it up to a biscuit there Eric!!"
~N2Yes
TaterMouse

Charter Member

Postby TaterMouse » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:23 am

One think that was mildly amusing. I was listening to "I've seen all good people" on his tribute band's site. There are a few places where the Canadian accent came through pretty strongly. It was... well... different. Good though.
"So back it up to a biscuit there Eric!!"
~N2Yes
TaterMouse

Charter Member

Return to YEStalk