Board update

Moderator: N2yes

Board update

Postby Ed Schaum » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:36 am

I've just updated the board software to the latest version.

There are some new features, I'm not exactly sure what they all are, but here are a few:

-social networking. Apparently now you can add friends and maybe other things to your me page, I guess similar to myspace. I haven't tried any of it out though, so not sure if there's anything useful in there.

-social bookmarking. You can now submit threads to digg, delicious, google, and stumbleupon. Feel free to submit any thread that you think is interesting, maybe it'll draw traffic.

-tags. You can tag threads. I have no idea what this is about.

-thumbnail viewing using lightbox. If a message has a picture with a thumbnail, you can view the full size pic by clicking and the pic is shown without making a new page.

I haven't updated all of the page templates yet so some features may not be available or they might not work right. You can change to the standard vb style if you want to check things by clicking on the dropdown at the bottom of most pages.

If something isn't working right, please let me know in this thread.

And if you come across additional features that I didn't mention, please bring them to our attention here too.

The rounded quotes feature wasn't working all afternoon but I finally got that one figured out so that should be working again.

There are also a couple of page formatting issues that I have to get figured out, so if you come across a page that isn't displaying correctly, please let me know here.

Ed
Ed Schaum

Re: Board update

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:09 am

it's kinda cool I was PM-ing someone and saw the visual changes in the profiles
took a moment to get aclimated
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Kalingzeye » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:55 am

HECKS YEAH. Duuude. Totally already customized my profile. I like it a lot. :p

The tags are so you can add, basically, keywords for a thread and people should be able to search or browse based on tags. It's used a lot in blogs and stuff. Like you tag 'music' or 'wakeman' or 'help' or 'tabs' or something in your post and people could click the tag at the bottom and view all other posts or threads with the same tag.

YAY I wanna add everyone as a friend now hehehe...

One of the big things I can play with is apparently you can add photo albums?! Dude yes! This is gonna be fun~
Kalingzeye

Postby electricfreedom » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:54 am

Wow I haven't been on this site in forever, but Kalingzeye's friend request sent me an email and reminded me about it! :cool:

Hey Ed, didnt you run the Guitarist's Complete Guide to Yes site? What happened to that? That site was awesome
And I do think very well.... that the song might take you silently...
electricfreedom

Location: Currently serving up a heaping helping of freedom in Germany

Postby Ed Schaum » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:27 pm

electricfreedom wrote:Wow I haven't been on this site in forever, but Kalingzeye's friend request sent me an email and reminded me about it! :cool:

Hey Ed, didnt you run the Guitarist's Complete Guide to Yes site? What happened to that? That site was awesome

Glad you dropped in, we're right in the middle of sprucing things up a bit.

Yes, that was my site but I decided to take it down.
Ed Schaum

Postby sound_chaser » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:34 am

Hi Ed. I'm getting a few strange issues on the main discussions page, where text is a bit mangled up and squashed in places. Does anyone else get this?
sound_chaser

Postby Ed Schaum » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:42 pm

sound_chaser wrote:Hi Ed. I'm getting a few strange issues on the main discussions page, where text is a bit mangled up and squashed in places. Does anyone else get this?

I'm not seeing anything, but it's certainly possible.

Can you give me more info-
which theme? are you logged in or out at the time? which browser? which exact page?
Ed Schaum

Postby sound_chaser » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:05 am

Wow, I really like the look of this new board Ed...and it's still fast access as well!
sound_chaser

Postby happytheman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:00 pm

sound_chaser wrote:Wow, I really like the look of this new board Ed...and it's still fast access as well!

Ditto, nice!
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Gary M. Thomas » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Ed... Great job with the new design !!! :)

Looks absolutely fantastic.

Thanks so much

Gary Thomas
[font=Garamond][color=paleturquoise]"Oh closely guided plan, awaken in our hearts" [/color][/font]
Gary M. Thomas

Veteran Member

Postby Ed Schaum » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:55 pm

Glad you like it. There are now around a half a dozen different colored themes available, including the old green theme that we had for a long time.

The changes I've made so far are pretty basic, I'm hoping to add a few graphical themes also.

Although the board is running a little faster, I'm not completely happy with the speed yet, so I'm still trying to get a little better performance from the database.

Ed
Ed Schaum

Postby Chris2210 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Ooohhh. Where am I? I knew I shouldn't have eaten those mushrooms.

Actually I like it - and I particularly like the use of the newer Dean Colophon. Some of the bits and bobs probably do need a bit of adjustment for the new colour scheme - but overall a nice bit of redecorating and it's looking fresh and contemporary. {I'm starting to sound like an interior designer. I need a lie down.}
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby Kalingzeye » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:09 pm

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude. I LOVE THIS ONE. YEStalk Dark. Omg. I didn't ever think I'd like a dark one, I usually hate white on black... Totally using it.

My OOOOOne little OCD is that the title bar bg color isn't 100% black so the title image box is visible... it's so dark the way it is, might as well make it #000000 so that the image is seamless with it... and the little forum images have pixely white borders... oh and the random YESquote & bottom-of-the-forum text are still the old colors... those are just small adjustments, tho. But dude, niiiice. We/you should make more of these, hehehe... I want one based off the Montreau DVD case! *A*

If I make some sick ass color logos/spreads can you make a theme based off them? o_o
Kalingzeye

Postby Ed Schaum » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Ok, I changed the background to totally black, let me know if that's better.

The post icons and other doodads have to be fixed up to go along with the darker background. I'd rather get all new buttons and icons though, so not sure if I'll just fix up the old ones are try to do all new buttons. I could use some help with that (hint, hint).

If you make some new graphics or want a theme with certain colors, just let me know and I'll add it, it only takes a few minutes to make a new color theme...but as you've noticed, the buttons and icons sometimes have to be updated so the edges don't look rough.

Kalingzeye wrote:Duuuuuuuuuuuuude. I LOVE THIS ONE. YEStalk Dark. Omg. I didn't ever think I'd like a dark one, I usually hate white on black... Totally using it.

My OOOOOne little OCD is that the title bar bg color isn't 100% black so the title image box is visible... it's so dark the way it is, might as well make it #000000 so that the image is seamless with it... and the little forum images have pixely white borders... oh and the random YESquote & bottom-of-the-forum text are still the old colors... those are just small adjustments, tho. But dude, niiiice. We/you should make more of these, hehehe... I want one based off the Montreau DVD case! *A*

If I make some sick ass color logos/spreads can you make a theme based off them? o_o
Ed Schaum

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 pm

Something wierd going on here... cant find my Cursor. :shrooms
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Ed Schaum » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:08 pm

yesman90125 wrote:Something wierd going on here... cant find my Cursor. :shrooms

Not sure what OS you're using. A standard Windows cursor is white with black edging so that it's visible on any color background. If you have a custom cursor loaded or are using another type of computer, I'm not sure what to suggest other than to try using one of the other themes.

The board colors do not affect your computer's cursor color.
Ed Schaum

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Ed Schaum wrote:Not sure what OS you're using. A standard Windows cursor is white with black edging so that it's visible on any color background. If you have a custom cursor loaded or are using another type of computer, I'm not sure what to suggest other than to try using one of the other themes.

The board colors do not affect your computer's cursor color.

when in this Reply box which is grey with white print the cursor is not visable (or barely visable) once moved outside of the diologue box into the light grey space it then becomes clear (and also a pointer instead of a cursor). it's also visible over the white lettering. hard to tell if I have hit the spacebar between words.
I think otherwise it's all kinda cool though.
OS-XP-pro-Media Center, classic view updates current (SP-3)
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Ed Schaum » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Ok, I understand what you are saying, but I'm not seeing it here.

I get a white vertical bar as my cursor on the message entry screen. But there is more than 1 message editor, I think I'm using the advanced one. I'll look at the others and see if I have that problem. It shouldn't be too hard for me to give more contrast between the background and the cursor.
Ed Schaum

Postby Ed Schaum » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:14 pm

I changed the editor colors to be the same colors as the messages after they are posted. Is this any better?
Ed Schaum

Postby Roan's Lady » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Wow - it looks wonderful here. Great, great job, Ed! :)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Ed Schaum wrote:I changed the editor colors to be the same colors as the messages after they are posted. Is this any better?

Yeah that totally fixed it!!!
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Terry Shea » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:36 pm

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't like the black background with blue links. This is a Yes site. We need light, not darkness.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:56 pm

from what I can tell , you can go into Control Panel and then under options or something you can customize everything and see what you want to see
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Ed Schaum » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:31 am

Terry Shea wrote:Ughhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't like the black background with blue links. This is a Yes site. We need light, not darkness.

At the bottom of every page is a dropdown where you can choose from the various styles that are available. Check them all out and then, as yesman mentioned, update your preferences in the control panel so that you always view the site with your favorite theme.
Ed Schaum

Postby Terry Shea » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:28 pm

Thank you. Much better now. :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:32 pm

Yeah, I'm enjoying the dark one right now too . . . I still love the original as well.

Just another fun thing to play with, and there's enough of them that there's something for everyone here.

Terry - glad you found one you liked! :)
tardistraveler

Postby Dr_Yes » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:23 pm

Loving the revamp a lot everyone. Sometimes change is a good thing ;) .

Thanks for the hard work Ed.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:58 pm

I really love this new format. It's fantastic. Thanks so much, Ed, for running this board with such care and hard work. :cool:
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby Roan's Lady » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:58 am

Ed, the dark look here is great. I'm wondering if it's possible to change the background of quoted text to a color other than white, as it's such a contrast to the black surrounding it - a little hard on the eyes! What do you think?
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Postby Kalingzeye » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:19 am

Roan's Lady wrote:Ed, the dark look here is great. I'm wondering if it's possible to change the background of quoted text to a color other than white, as it's such a contrast to the black surrounding it - a little hard on the eyes! What do you think?

Yeah, I agree. Maybe just a slightly grey-er white, or even a light grey/blue. The pure white is a bit harsh. Good point.
Kalingzeye

Next

Return to YEStalk