Ringing The Changes?

Moderator: N2yes

Ringing The Changes?

Postby sound_chaser » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:55 pm

Now that we’re back up to speed site-wise, I’d like to widen out a debate that the Mods have been discussing for a while, to now include the membership as a whole. And namely, that is, how do we increase the amount of discussion we get at Yestalk? Seriously, it puzzles me that the amount of discussion going on here has shrunk to such an extent. I felt that the speed issue was the primary problem and I had hopes that things would once again pick up once that had been resolved. Now that it has though, we’re still seeing a reluctance to post by most of the people who take the trouble to log on each day. So this thread is an attempt to get to heart of the matter here. Are there now too many Yes forums on the internet, or is it just not that interesting to discuss the band in the way it used to be?

We have been discussing changes that we think may make the forum a busy and vibrant community once again. Personally, I think there are three issues to consider. Firstly and most importantly, was the terrible speed problems we were getting. Ed has moved the forum to a new home and things are an awful lot better. So hopefully, that’s that one put to bed. Secondly, there is a feeling amongst some that the forums appearance and use is looking quite tired. What about you? Would you like something radically different, or would you just like an update of what we already have? Or do you think the forum is fine as it is? Personally, I would like to see a change away from the green and yellow theme. There is agreement and disagreement on this: what do you think? Hopefully, Ed and Kota can expand on this discussion, but please remember we want everybody’s view on this.

Thirdly, I think we should look at the amount of forums that are on display here, because personally, I think there are far too many. I would like to see as many forums as possible squeezed into more manageable and user friendly forums. In that regard, I’m proposing that the forums: Tour & Concert talk, Album Talk, Into The Lens & Yes Art are all brought under a single banner of Yestalk. I think the musicians forum, We Love When We Play should be a stand alone forum, but I also think the Virtual Band forum could be incorporated into the musicians forum as a sticky. We need an alternative music forum, but do we need Alternate Tunes & When Rock Was Young, or could they operate as one single forum? I also think we need to keep the forums, Other Skylines, Yestalk Help & Yestrades as stand alone forums. Probably Yestalk Vault as well. But what about Chat? I think that could go in the links section. I also think members should be encouraged to submit links to forums they think other members might be interested in visiting.

Anyway, there are other ideas, but this more than enough to begin with. I think this is worth discussing, because I really like Yestalk and the people who frequent it. So please, post away like crazy and help get this place buzzing once again.

Richard.
sound_chaser

Re: Ringing The Changes?

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:19 pm

Some good suggestions regarding the consolidation of forums. I'd be OK with those. I could see "When Rock Was Young" as a sub-forum of "Alternate Tunes" - I really DO like the Yes-inspired forum names we have out here and would like to see those stay.

I'm so glad the speed issue has seemingly been resolved . . . thanks, Ed! :)
tardistraveler

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:36 pm

I do agree with condensing some of the forums together. It would make a little more sense. I also feel that, even though it does look very nice and always has, I feel the background should have a new look to it, but still keeping the Roger Dean art (I'm thinking either Tales or Relayer or even Yessongs) in place. This site could use a little bit of a change every now and again, just to keep it fresh.

I don't feel that's not interesting to talk about Yes personally, I know a lot of ground has been covered about this great band, some ideas for the band, some praises, some grievances, some of everything having to with its members, past and present (maybe future?), I think it's just that some of us just don't have the time a lot of the time like we used to. Hell, I was away from this board for over two years, not because I wasn't interested, I just didn't have the time. I did peek in here every once in a while, but not long enough tocontribute anything, and also I had a lot of stuff going on my life at the time. I'm happy to be back once again and I will continue to come back. It happens, people change, people do different things. There are a lot of Yes boards out there. I even joined a couple of them a few years ago, but only briefly, because I felt that this was the best Yes board on the internet and because I've gotten to know some of the members on here, not a lot, but a little. I've always enjoyed coming on here and will continue to enjoy it.

One thought: I don't know if this has ever been answered, but I've often wondered and if any Yes member has ever come on here at all.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:24 am

topographic_drama1980 wrote:I do agree with condensing some of the forums together. It would make a little more sense. I also feel that, even though it does look very nice and always has, I feel the background should have a new look to it, but still keeping the Roger Dean art (I'm thinking either Tales or Relayer or even Yessongs) in place. This site could use a little bit of a change every now and again, just to keep it fresh.

I don't feel that's not interesting to talk about Yes personally, I know a lot of ground has been covered about this great band, some ideas for the band, some praises, some grievances, some of everything having to with its members, past and present (maybe future?), I think it's just that some of us just don't have the time a lot of the time like we used to. Hell, I was away from this board for over two years, not because I wasn't interested, I just didn't have the time. I did peek in here every once in a while, but not long enough to contribute anything, and also I had a lot of stuff going on my life at the time. I'm happy to be back once again and I will continue to come back. It happens, people change, people do different things. There are a lot of Yes boards out there. I even joined a couple of them a few years ago, but only briefly, because I felt that this was the best Yes board on the internet and because I've gotten to know some of the members on here, not a lot, but a little. I've always enjoyed coming on here and will continue to enjoy it.

One thought: I don't know if this has ever been answered, but I've often wondered and if any Yes member has ever come on here at all.

Change is good, and of course you'll never get everyone to agree on any changes, so you've got my vote on whatever you's guy's want. Just be careful that you're not simply doing a "carbon copy" of another site just to increase traffic. Yes Talk is unique. The group of folks that I have come to know over the years (don't take this wrong) have a level of maturity that really adds something special to the discussions. Compared to the first Yes site I visited (before this one) where it was a daily shouting match that at times was comical but mostly nauseating.
Regarding the question on increased traffic I'm a relative new comer compared to some of the names I used to see around here. And I don't know how typical I am as far as habits. But I checked out this forum for about a year before I had a true sense of what was going on and had any level of comfort to actually contribute. To date there have been no real "hostile" responses to any of my post (which is encouraging) so adding to pretty much any discussion is an easy thing to do. But as others have discussed here before, how many threads can you actually have before you are repeating yourself? Granted the theory that others are joining at an incremental pace you tend to get "fresh" ideas added into the mix periodically. The excuse a few years ago when this board had a "dramatic" drop off of activity (which is when I went looking for other forums) was that Yes wasn't doing anything so hey what's there to discuss? But now that we have had (and are still in the mix) of one of the biggest "Drama's" in Yes's career (Jon's health problems, addition of new keyboardist, addition of fill in singer, supposedly new material that Chris and Steve have written etc,) and yet at least to my eyes no real spike in activity. Could it be people simply got out of the habit of visiting this forum when it died down a while back, could it be that yes all of us are busy (I tend to hit this computer between 5.30 and 6 am each morning), or when they do visit there is no real barn burner topic being discussed so "hey why add anything". I agree (without harping on this beaten to death subject) that if anyone was trying to access this site while the "speed issue" was rearing it's ugly head most likely they gave up and (providing no one has encouraged them to give it another try) went elsewhere.
All I can tell ya is I'm a lifer. I'll visit this board everyday I have access to a computer.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Ed Schaum » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Just a quick update -

I added a few new display styles that you can choose from. Right now, they all look the same as the regular green style except you can choose a different background - Tales, 70's, Relayer, Keys in addition to the "Evening" background.

I'll change the colors in these styles so that they reflect the general color scheme of those albums as I have time.

We're also exploring the possibility of adding some completely different themes with graphical borders.
Ed Schaum

Postby yesman90125 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:02 am

I agree with the part about there being to many forums. I like it simple. Subcatagories are fine. the look is ok for me
but switching things around now and then is fine. the fonts and colors are pretty easy on the eyes. rotating Yes backround would be an interesting thing too.
I think key here is fresh topics and things that might not have been talked about whilst still keeping the general Yes topics floating. It's allways been my understanding that the duties of a Mod are to keep it clean and friendly and keep the topics of a thread on track somewhat. The existing membership seems to have good self control . So the Mods can focus more on keeping interesting topics going . this ought to keep the membership interest fresh. it would be a good Idea for any members to add a fresh invite to friends with a Yes interest online. there seem to be many around. I think topics are probably key. however presenting a fresh look and saying to people "hey come check out the fresh look " might be a good marketing gimmick.
Engage, engage, engage!!!!!!! sell, sell , sell!
Keeping the Yesthemed topics like "Alternate tunes" and "Other skylines" is great!!
PS other message boards send 2-3 E-mails out a year to membership
"A new Look" or some "new event" is likely to at least get old members to drop in a bit more.
or some similar gimmick

the speed issues are ok now.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:23 pm

yesman90125 wrote:PS other message boards send 2-3 E-mails out a year to membership
"A new Look" or some "new event" is likely to at least get old members to drop in a bit more.
or some similar gimmick

I like the email idea. As much as I hate spam, if I saw Ed sending me a message you betcha I would open it doggone it!
N2 started a flurry of activity when he added the "When Rock was Young" topic. Personally it gave me a place to springboard my interest in bands other than Yes.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Ed Schaum » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:24 pm

I've made a few changes and additions to the styles.

We now have 5 additional styles available which mostly have some minor changes so far.

Yestalk-Relayer, Yestalk-Tales and Yestalk-Keys have new backgrounds and some basic new colors. Yestalk Dark is black theme for the nighttime people. Yestalk-70's is still using the green colors with a different background.

I'll continue to refine these until they look good, and then I'll change the buttons and other graphics for each of those themes.

We can create as many other themes as people want to see, so if you have some suggestions or want to add another theme, then speak up.

It would also be nice to create a brand new "grand" style with completely new graphics, colors, and borders but I'm not sure where to start with that right now.
Ed Schaum

Return to YEStalk