What's Yesfans got that Yestalk doesn't?

Moderator: N2yes

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:48 am

[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Re: What's Yesfans got that Yestalk doesn't?

Postby Kalingzeye » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:56 am

A link on YESworld? :rolleyes:
Kalingzeye

Postby Terry Shea » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:31 am

We've got Kota! :)
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:45 am

Others will likely weigh in. Both places are useful in terms of community. It's just a different vibe. here I am more relaxed and more honest.
It feels a bit like coming home after a long day and relaxing with friends. even if I dont agree with them all the time. The paces are different the personalities are different.(even though some of them are the same) There seems to be more of a need for moderators there while this group seems to work things out pretty well for themselves.I find this place to be more free flowing and expressive. while the other place is a bit more intense and out of balance.
dont get me wrong I like it when things are a bit intense and out of balance. but I also like to talk to the grown ups too. I would say that in terms of the internet I think of Yestalk as home and I think of Yesfans in terms of hanging at the bar or at a sporting event.
my parents used to say that the best part about taking vaccation was getting home and sleeping in your own bed.
I think that metaphor works well.
AND WE HAVE KOTA!!!!
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:03 am

Yesfans seems a bit corporate. It is probably the first site people find when they google "yes forums fan clubs, etc.

Actually Yestalk only has about 15 visitors daily it seems..
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:12 am

Only 29 users today, 2 online currently.
Don't know if Relayer4U has come back from his official abandonment of Yestalk for Yesfans.
Tribute 69 hasn't been for a while....

Not everyone is on a computer all day
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:26 am

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Only 29 users today, 2 online currently.
Don't know if Relayer4U has come back from his official abandonment of Yestalk for Yesfans.

I pass Nolan here and there online, Ray is not on much, he's got life in his way atm I did just get an e-mail from him he sounds good.

Yesfans is very restrictive but also very active

I even got a forward from long MIA perpetual changer-who is appearantly still alive and kickin and now and then I still get a note from Jacka1z
Amy , Diane, Dahni and myself are established in both places
others do the AGP thing as well.

People that have dropped off the face of the earth
EricBliss , Yesmam,The Prophet and on again off again founder Ed
Mr Dean seems to be lurking about with a few other Chris's
All of our resident Mods will drop in when the mood suits them
it's up to the membership here to make it a fun and inviting place to be.
then I'm sure old and new faces will apear.
technical issues over the last few months certainly made it difficult.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:30 am

yesman90125 wrote:I even got a forward from long MIA perpetual changer-who is appearantly still alive and kickin .....

....Amy , Diane, Dahni and myself are established in both places

People that have dropped off the face of the earth
EricBliss , Yesmam,The Prophet and on again off again founder Ed
Mr Dean seems to be lurking about with a few other Chris's
All of our resident Mods will drop in when the mood suits them
it's up to the membership here to make it a fun and inviting place to be.
then I'm sure old and new faces will apear.
technical issues over the last few months certainly made it difficult.

How is Perpetual Changer? Glad to hear her name again... haven't heard from her here on yestalk in a coon's age. Tell her I said hi, would ya, Chris?

I miss Amy and Dahni as well... and I miss Eric Bliss' irreverence and The Prophet's philosophy.

It's interesting - my frequency here, both lurking AND posting, seems to ebb and flow with my moods. When I lived here in VA before, I came here frequently (daily), but posted irregularly at best. I was escaping when I was here... I HAD to get away from the environment that I was living in and cyberspace was where I escaped to. When I first moved to RI two and a half years ago, I was VERY happy and was here and posting regularly. As I realized how much I missed my kids, my moods dropped and I began slipping in and out of depressions, and my frequency here dropped proportionately... I spent most of my last year in New England on an emotional roller coaster (for various reasons) and came here VERY infrequently. Now, I'm back in VA, I'm re-establishing my life here, I'm making changes to my lifestyle, I'm re-connecting with my kids, and I'm VERY happy - and my frequency lurking AND posting here has increased again. It's good to be happy....

To use an analogy that has been used before in a discussion along these lines - Yestalk is "small town" and everyone knows most everyone. Yesfans is "big city" and much more fast paced than I like. I'll stay in the small town and let YesFans thrive on the chaos there... it's what they prefer, so let them live! I'm a country mouse, not an urban animal.....
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby sound_chaser » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 am

It's like two competing bars in the same street and one is much more popular than the other. The owner of the not so popular bar must wonder what he's got to do to attract customers in, but no matter what he tries, it's something of a losing battle. People want to be seen at the more popular bar and you can't blame them for that. I think the new look here has aligned YEStalk more with the style of Yesfans, but business is still not picking up. I frequent the more popular bar myself, but I'll still hang out in less popular one in the hope that some of the old regulars will drop by.
sound_chaser

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:37 pm

Yeah, this place is more suburban. Maybe if we took a poll, most members would be living in rural or suburban areas, and this is where they go to the park, let their dogs do their do, or the local barbershop, or donut shop/diner.
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:50 pm

As someone that's pretty entrenched both places, there are some obvious differences, size being paramount. As to why Yesfans has more activity, it probably does have to do with the Yesworld link, where it falls when you Google, etc.

It's the size here that I DO like, and the relaxed vibe. I don't think it's really possible to have that at a larger site . . . seems the more you grow, the more diversity and conflict. Rather than thinking of this place as a "small town" though, I've always thought of it as a resort, where you can "vacation" and just be yourself . . . ;)

It would be nice to have a little more activity . . . hopefully the word will get out that the site is now running faster, and folks will come visit. :)
tardistraveler

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:53 pm

a lot o' looneys
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby tribute1969 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:01 pm

OK OK....I was on "break" from ALL things YES.....
THIS site slowed down to a CRAWL for a month or so during your "exile" so it was painful to come here and "wait" for posts like you were on dial up again....most people left then.....

We had a slight surge in membership when folks realized you were no longer around here and we all figured you were the one that slowed down this place by planting some sort of virus through a phanton name ....kidding...

I was and still am SICK of the way the 40th Anny cancellation thing went down and then add the disrespect by the "owners" of the name YES were to Jon in his moment of sickness, I had to get away......
Things will never be the same......too bad....

Yesfans is like New York City, YesTalk is like Nantucket....
YesFans seem to "worship" Chris Squire, YesTalk has more Jon fans..
YesFans is like being in a football stadium, YesTalk is like being in The Ryman

Greenglade's Frog for PRESIDENT

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Only 29 users today, 2 online currently.

WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:07 am

tribute1969 wrote:OK OK....I was on "break" from ALL things YES.....
THIS site slowed down to a CRAWL for a month or so during your "exile" so it was painful to come here and "wait" for posts like you were on dial up again....most people left then.....

We had a slight surge in membership when folks realized you were no longer around here and we all figured you were the one that slowed down this place by planting some sort of virus through a phanton name ....kidding...

I was and still am SICK of the way the 40th Anny cancellation thing went down and then add the disrespect by the "owners" of the name YES were to Jon in his moment of sickness, I had to get away......
Things will never be the same......too bad....

Yesfans is like New York City, YesTalk is like Nantucket....
YesFans seem to "worship" Chris Squire, YesTalk has more Jon fans..
YesFans is like being in a football stadium, YesTalk is like being in The Ryman

Greenglade's Frog for PRESIDENT

Welcome back from your self-imposed "exile" Tribute. NP: Zoso album by Led Zep, in your honor.

Thanks for the endorsement, but as you know, I am not into political discussions anymore...Image
We thought you had left the country with Robert Plant band

Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby tribute1969 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:32 pm

Great looking cock and guitar! :D
No, Exile is not that much fun..... :(
Robert is working on Raising Sand II..... :)
David Benoit will join Led Zep after the "YES"? tour... :cool:
He can hit the high notes on Immigrant Song I'm sure.... ;)

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Welcome back from your self-imposed "exile" Tribute. NP: Zoso album by Led Zep, in your honor.

Thanks for the endorsement, but as you know, I am not into political discussions anymore...Image
We thought you had left the country with Robert Plant band

WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:10 am

You missed it today as there was a herd of 40 of the sqwawkin beasts
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Yestalk gathering at Greenglade's!

I want to see the peacocks . . . I'm sure they can be annoying, but they're just so beautiful . . . :)

Yestalk USED to have the best chatroom . . . we need to get that cranked up again . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:42 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Yestalk gathering at Greenglade's!

I want to see the peacocks . . . I'm sure they can be annoying, but they're just so beautiful . . . :)

Yestalk USED to have the best chatroom . . . we need to get that cranked up again . . . ;)

Peacocks can be sinister. My 3 nephews 2 to 11 years old, ran out into the street to chase them. It is a dangerous street as people drive up it and down real fast sometimes
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby N2yes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:43 am

Well, I have yet to hear back from the powers that be about getting a link. I think perhaps now, with YES pretty much dormant, no one is really listening. It's a shame, really, for I find this site the far better of the two. More laid back and though our membership doesn't weigh in like we would like, they will...if YES would be a bit more active and we could somehow get some of the old timers back on a regular basis. I'm still trying for that link...that would give this site a boost and a half. Whoever said it was right. The link is what drives the majority there and not here. We will survive, that much I know.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:41 am

N2yes wrote:Well, I have yet to hear back from the powers that be about getting a link. I think perhaps now, with YES pretty much dormant, no one is really listening. It's a shame, really, for I find this site the far better of the two. More laid back and though our membership doesn't weigh in like we would like, they will...if YES would be a bit more active and we could somehow get some of the old timers back on a regular basis. I'm still trying for that link...that would give this site a boost and a half. Whoever said it was right. The link is what drives the majority there and not here. We will survive, that much I know.

Oh for sure. and the link is huge
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby 2Lizard4 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:32 am

yeah yeah yeah, I know you have heardit before, I met the love of my life on a yes chat line, But I do love this place, it is like a home that I can check on, and give Yesman a hard time about listening to Sonata artica. Its also nice to see if some one can come back and express their veiws, after they have made one. All I can think off if that the beatles took the Muslims side in the 60's, and that I still see the inocent die from what they backed 30 years ago. Im sorry but Yes didnt help me to think about myself, they helped me to think of others.
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby 2Lizard4 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:35 am

This place rocks, sorry bout that lame statement, but I mean it. I have takin something from every one here, and I enjoy, respect and love all that I have found here.
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby 2Lizard4 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:38 am

I love that I can be such a butt head with people in some sections, but such friends with the same in others. People realize a deeper meaning here
perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:52 am

2Lizard4 wrote:I...People realize a deeper meaning here...

I believe THAT statement hits it right on the head, my friend. Thank you...

:D
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby happytheman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:25 am

Traffic.
Which in part (as suggested by N2) is due to the link from Yesworld.com
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby yesireebob » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:51 pm

"Yesfans is like New York City, YesTalk is like Nantucket."

There once was a site from Nantucket ... ; ]

I agree the biggest factor is the link to YesWorld. Most people stick with the first thing they run across. I actually found Yestalk BEFORE Yesfans, not sure how that happened. But I lurked a bit on both sites before settling on YT. At that time, I just prefered the vibe here. It was more intimate, philosophic, friendly. People sent personal e-mails that have led to on-going friendships outside the board. Chat was great. Then, and now, there is only so much time I am going to spend on any on-line forum, so getting truly entrenched in multiple forums is out of the question for me. Although I check in periodically and post very occaisonally, I am not really a presence in either YF or AGP. If YT disappeared, I would move to AGP over YF.

I agree with Nolan that there is a certain Squire worship element at YF. Musing further, the fact that band members and/or their significant others post on certain forums results in members taking sides and getting involved in band politics. This tends to lead to big bru-ha-has over things that really shouldn't be the concern of fans simply seeking discourse with other people with similar musical tastes and what not. Personally, I find that a turn off. I also think the presence of band members tends to chill honest discussion about the band and its music. To me, these forums are about the music and what that music means to the fans, not about the idolization of band members or the desire to be their best friends.

Having said that, I have met most of the band members and was thrilled to do so. If I were to have any of them as personal friends, it would be Rick because he seems to me to be the most genuine and egoless of the lot. And Jon, who once sat down next to my son, then 16, at an airport and engaged in an earnest discussion about music and angels. But, that is not what I am HERE for. I think fan forums are for fans, not band members. And I feel comfortable saying that here. That's why I am here!
yesireebob

Postby yesireebob » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Oh, and we DO have Kota!!! That's huge!
yesireebob

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:56 am

Once in a while, Big Brother-type Establishment monitors and censors, ready to pounce on dissent
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:05 am

Greenglade's Frog wrote:Once in a while, Big Brother-type Establishment monitors and censors, ready to pounce on dissent

yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:47 am

I quote YESMAN 90125 :" Luckily since our previous drawn out encounter I've run across[political] Idiots like you often on forums (though arguably none as ignorant)
and now I understand much more clearly where your mentality is at"

This above is reason for Yesman to be banned.

He just showed disrespect by using the word "idiot". He has violated terms and conditions of use on Yestalk.

I got banned right after Yesman edited his post, and he used obscenities against me, but quickly erased them the moment N2Yes the moderator started reading that political thread momths ago. If he had been online and seen what Yesman wrote, just a split second before Yesman edited his post, he would have been banned for 3 months or whatever.

Yesman has the right to disagree, but so do I. His insults to me are direct. I never insult or provoke anything.

I hope you reap what you sow.
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Next

Return to YEStalk