[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - OYE - is it really all THAT bad?

OYE - is it really all THAT bad?

Moderator: N2yes

OYE - is it really all THAT bad?

Postby the greenman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:54 pm

It's the Easter weekend.. I feel in need of a little resurrection in my life, so I thought what better than a re-appraisal of 'Open Your Eyes'. So I've just loaded it into the player.. & I have to say I'm feeling quite positive..

Maybe it wasnt the album the Fans were expecting & it's harder hitting than the classic Yes sound, but it's innovative, energetic, & if you're forcing for something positive to say that's not about the music, it at least gave the band a 'vehicle' to tour with post their KTA resurrection.

Sure the Sherwood influence is there, but hell I love Circa, so where's the shame in that?

Someone posted 'in the other place' that it was 'badly produced' - scuse me? The production sounds pretty good to these ears!

So at the risk of being boiled in oil, go listen to it with fresh ears & post your views?
the greenman

Veteran Member

Re: OYE - is it really all THAT bad?

Postby Relayer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:21 pm

I think Circa is awesome too, I thought Open Your Eyes had great production, and I liked
about half of the songs, if there is a complaint about it, that would be it.
Relayer

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris2210 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:30 am

I love the Circa stuff and there's certainly nothing wrong with the production of OYE. It has its moments, but unfortunately it's neither flesh nor fowl - neither 'classic' nor Yeswest and therein lies the problem...
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby Relayer » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Relayer

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:46 pm

the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Are you aware Marc that most of the material was actually written [so far as I'm aware] for the first Conspiracy album? I'm not sure how it came about that it was repurposed for the Yes offering - Billy might be able to fill in the gaps on that if he's around. I'd speculate JA thought it was a good idea to have fresh material out in conjunction with the tour, although I think they only ever played a couple of tracks on the OYE tour and none subsequently. Which sort of says it all really. There's the odd thing I don't mind/quite like [Universal Garden springs to mind, from memory] but overall? ;waggles hand;
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby the greenman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:42 pm

I think -I'm not sure I recall 100% (maybe it was the ladder) - I read a post by Billy 'in the other place' saying that that was a bit of a myth, Chris. But Chris & Billy were working on Conspiracy at the time, so I guess they had material that could either be contributed to 'yes' - & re-worked by the band accordingly, or they'd use themselves.

I would have thought it was management's idea to have 'product' to tour, cos that was the old school thinking at the time.. record album, tour it, sell it, etc; now the rules are different!

I'll see if I can entice Billy to add his two-pennerth!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby coalescestudionyc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:43 pm

coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:19 pm

I'm listening to this album right now after having not listened to it in quite a while and I must say, I think it's a very strong album. I know it's been ripped apart left and right from many Yes fans since it came out: it's too poppy, it doesn't sound like Yes, they're doing it just to be on the radio, etc. The list goes on. After coming out 3 weeks after Keys To Ascension 2, it was kind of a shock, in a way, to have yet another album with new material which was the near-complete opposite of the previous release.

When I first heard it, I thought, well, this is different. It took a few listens to grow on me, but it did and it's one of my favorite albums from the 90's. It may not be the best album Yes has to offer, but it's definitely not the worst (come to think of it, I don't believe Yes has a worst album).

I did hear the title track on the radio only once. I thought it was a decent tune that should've been a big hit, but of course at that time, shitty pop music was taking center stage (Spice Girls, Back-seat Boys, *N-Stync, etc.), and even the alternative movement was slowing down considerably, and a lot of the bands from the 70's and 80's were all but non-existant on the radio or dropped off the face of the earth.

A lot of the music on this album is very strong, with great melodies, guitars, and keyboards, even though there's not many keyboards. To me, the standout tracks are New State Of Mind, the title track, Universal Garden, Fortune Seller, Wonderlove, and the beautiful From The Balcony. I know it's not as progressive as the stuff on Keys 1 and 2, but does it really need to be? They've already done that. I know the bulk of the material was supposed to be on a Squire/Sherwood album, but it was somewhat Yessified, with the exception of keyboards being an equal instrument. So what if most of the material was written by Squire and Sherwood? Wasn't Topographic Oceans mostly written by Jon and Steve? Not that I'm comparing the two albums, of course. It's just that people shouldn't shun this album because of the writing, or even the music. i know a lot of it's poppy, but Yes were influenced by pop. There's pop in a lot of Yes' music, besides the material they did with Trevor Rabin. Hell, even Long Distance Runaround is a pop song!

It sucks that this album didn't so well in the eyes of the public and the fans, because this music was different from what they've been doing and it was fresh and it had some offer to Yes fans, old and new. Billy Sherwood was a great addition to the band. He helped (at least, he tried) to update Yes' sound. I think he did a damn fine job.

Listening to Man In The Moon, it's also a hidden bonus track on the first Conspiracy album, and it sounds exactly the same, just without Jon's voice and Steve's background noodling. Also, the song Wish I Knew (which pretty much WAS Open Your Eyes, the only song that the whole band collaborated on, according to Steve) was another hidden track on the Conspiracy album and just as good as its Yes counterpart, although it's not much of a counterpart.

Anyways, I'm sure people will continue too either love it or hate. I love it.
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:32 pm

tardistraveler

Postby qman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:08 pm

OYE is not bad it's kinda like YES-lite.
The last track was done with a extension to screw up all the CD burning and sharing that was going on then, pre-napster yet still killing record sales. A few bands/record companies did that for a year or two and then the idea was scrapped. It also made it impossible to play OYE in with other CD's in a shuffle on your five disc cd player because that last song would play and then you would hear nothing for 20 minutes except little bits thrown in here and there.
I agree I liked the muisicians on the CD so for what it's worth a nice listenable CD but not quite YES rather YES - lite, less filling and one more CD for your collection!
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:07 pm

thehallway

Charter Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:05 pm

EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Return to YEStalk