Question YES or NO

Moderator: N2yes

Question YES or NO

Postby qman » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:01 am

Will YES go into the studio with Benoit David after the tour ends?
It will be interesting to see how many YES and NO's we get here
:D

I say YES provided Howe has the time because something tells me Downes will want to do something with ASIA, either more dates or the studio the minute YES completes their tour. :rolleyes:

By the way I love Jon and wish that even if he can't do the YES tours anymore at least he writes and participates in the studio unfortunately that may no longer be in the cards. :mad:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

Charter Member

Re: Question YES or NO

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:16 pm

Sheesh - who knows?

I've heard Howe interviewed saying it could be a possibility, but frankly, I think it depends on the state of things between Jon and the rest of the band, and the state of Jon's health as well.
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:55 pm

I HOPE its a YES, but who can really tell? I suppose it all depends on Jon, as Tardistraveller said. As well as anyone's other commitments. I'm sure Alan and Chris will be up to it, Steve perhaps not.

But what about a keyboardist? :confused: Wakeman Jr?, I think not. Wakeman Sr? The chances are small...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:41 pm

As things stand I think it's more likely than a studio outing with Jon on board. I'd settle for the former, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope it would be more than pallid in comparison with an Anderson-involved effort, much as I love the work of the other guys.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby yesireebob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:50 pm

It could happen but I can't imagine that it would hold up to either the Ladder or Magnifiication. Jon is not just a voice, he is a driving force and integral part of the music. Unless Benoit has hidden songwriting skills, I see more of a Drama disc coming out of it. Not entirely a bad thing, but not Yes either.
yesireebob

Postby thesage » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:04 am

As I understand it Alan White recently confirmed that both Jon and Rick would be back in 2010. Steve has also said that both Yes and Asia would record in 2010 as well.
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:26 am

thesage wrote:As I understand it Alan White recently confirmed that both Jon and Rick would be back in 2010. Steve has also said that both Yes and Asia would record in 2010 as well.

Now that does sound promising - can you tell us when and where you saw these reports? I'm certainly hoping they're true. The current configuration of the band would suggest the door would be open for a recording return for Jon and Rick. Fingers and toes crossed.
Chris2210

Postby thesage » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:22 pm

I've found that Henry Potts site- Yes Where are they Now? is probably the best and most reliable place for anything yes and yes related. Its updated regularly and that where I got the info- if you visit the site you will get some great info about the politics of the band. Quotes attributed to SH on the site certainly paint JA as somewhat recalcitrant and not as willing as others to play different Yes era pieces, Drama material being the obvious but not necessarily the only problem. There is also a quote attributed to AW which says JA & RW will be back, CS suggests that same as does JA
thesage

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:26 pm

That sounds interesting. A classic Yes line-up, technically the first with just those five since 1978. Would that mean classic-Yes sounding material though??
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby qman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:49 pm

I have always liked the site- Yes Where are they Now? So I guess if Alan is saying Rick and Jon will be back at least in the studio then lets hope that happens. Seems Alan is the only one in the band that makes an effort to stay in touch with Jon. No matter what happens I think Chris will keep Benoit David around and I'm still hoping Trevor Rabin is getting the itch to get out of his house and take a break from scoring movies.

** On a completely different track here LOL: I have not yet purchased either of the CIRCA cd's. Are they good, should I spend my hard earned dollars on them? If you have both which do you like more the first or the second? ** I like Billy a lot so I'm surprised I've held off so long getting these but just curious what you think. :cool:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:55 pm

thehallway wrote:That sounds interesting. A classic Yes line-up, technically the first with just those five since 1978. Would that mean classic-Yes sounding material though??

No - that would be the Keys to Ascension stuff. Personally I'd be disappointed if Yes were to d an album that sounded 'pretty much like' any single album from the 70s. They are a progressive band, not a 'prog' band. I don't think Anderson or Howe are capable of doing re-treads. [Rabin's stuff on the other hand will always sound like Rabin's stuff - sorry if that sounds sniffy].

GMan wrote:** On a completely different track here LOL: I have not yet purchased either of the CIRCA cd's. Are they good, should I spend my hard earned dollars on them? If you have both which do you like more the first or the second? ** I like Billy a lot so I'm surprised I've held off so long getting these but just curious what you think.

You've reminded me, I must get around to ordering their second. The first one is well worth having IMO even though, to seemingly counter everything I've said above, it's more like a pastiche of main sequence Yes than Yes are themselves today...
Chris2210

Postby the greenman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:59 pm

qman wrote:I have always liked the site- Yes Where are they Now? So I guess if Alan is saying Rick and Jon will be back at least in the studio then lets hope that happens. Seems Alan is the only one in the band that makes an effort to stay in touch with Jon. No matter what happens I think Chris will keep Benoit David around and I'm still hoping Trevor Rabin is getting the itch to get out of his house and take a break from scoring movies.

Cant see Steve jumping for joy if Rabin comes back - chalk & cheese in terms of musical approach. There's clearly been tension around the line up & around the dividing of the spoils which goes back years. With Jon not involved in the current tour (& I too miss him), Steve has had a new lease of life, Chris too. It would be interesting to see what HSW + OW & BD could come up with in terms of 'new material'. Maybe they'd be more willing to bring pieces to the table without Jon present. Lets see.

I dont know how much credence one can put on Alan's 'liverpool' comments (that's where he said that - in passing to a Yesfan member). It may not be the real 'state of play.

qman wrote: ** On a completely different track here LOL: I have not yet purchased either of the CIRCA cd's. Are they good, should I spend my hard earned dollars on them? If you have both which do you like more the first or the second? ** I like Billy a lot so I'm surprised I've held off so long getting these but just curious what you think. :cool:

Yes, yes, yes! & yes again! Get em - you'll like both! and then there's the 'extra's' (from the HQ sessions) available for download on iTunes. Jay is a great drummer & fills Alan's shoes well. I'd say I prefer the 2nd more (more organic, more of a 'band' piece, Tony's Hammond more up front) but listening to that has sent me back to the first, which has gone up a few notches (features a couple of tracks co-written with Rabin, i now note..) tho I liked it 'straight out of the box'.

I'm sure you will too! & when you do, let us know what you think! :D
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thesage » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:19 am

More recent news suggests a growing rift between JA, RW and Messers H,S&W around who is in the band called YES and that the formers seem to suggest that the current UK touring line-up isn't YES because they aren't in it! More Drama indeed! Personally I would like to see JA&RW back but I’m also very much aware that the HSW&DW touring version seem to be a much happier and reinvigorated band- you have to ask why that is the case? - I think SH alluded to the problems with JA that weren’t just health related- he wasn’t nicknamed Napoleon for no reason. The response of the audiences to Drama material also reaffirms SH position about waiting to hear this music. Whilst JA has hinted on previous tours that they might be willing top play Tempus Fugit, the reality appears to be that it is SH, CS &AW that have been willing to play almost any era of YES, but others are not. In terms of recording, I don’t necessarily share the views that JA is such a major force in YES songwriting. Lyrically most of his recent efforts, IMHO, are somewhat clichéd on the Ladder and Magnification. Its people like SH and RW that take basic 3 chord songs and turn them into epics-An album from the current YES touring lineup might actually be much better than recent efforts. I would also echo Billy Sherwood’s suggestion- record it and distribute it yourselves via the YESWORLD site
thesage

Veteran Member

Return to YEStalk