AVATAR - Cammeron should be ashamed

Moderator: N2yes

AVATAR - Cammeron should be ashamed

Postby Yessong » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:20 am

...Not of his latest movie but of the blatant theft of Roger Deans vision in his latest movie. Everywhere you look in this new film you see Roger Deans artistic ideas...it got me so steamed - I stayed till the end of the credits to see if there was anything noted - not even an "Inspired by..." note. Who...if not Dean first gave us floating mountains? I even posted my disgust on my facebook page - maybe if more people did that the uninformed may not see this as such a new vision of other worlds....but a vision that has been with us since the Fragile album art work
Yessong

Charter Member

Re: AVATAR - Cammeron should be ashamed

Postby thehallway » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Havn't seen the film yet but that's quite a disrespectful thing to do. Are the influences really blatent or just subtle??
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:12 pm

I haven't seen the film, so can't really comment about specifics of stylistic debt - it may well be there.

But you can hardly ascribe the concept of aerial habitats to Dean - they've been around for millennia. The realm of Asgard was connected to the Earth (Midgard) via a rainbow bridge 9although it was in the branches of the the great tree Ydraagsil, rather than the clouds). But castles in the air have been around an awful long time as an expression to describe whimsical places. Aristophenes' 'Cloud Cuckoo Land' comes from the fifth century BCE.

I rather suspect Cameron would claim a common 'inspiration'. This is after all a Hollywood film - you really wouldn't expect originality, would you?
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:08 pm

I've seen the movie.

Yeah, some of the images seem pretty much lifted from Dean's artwork. I expect Dean has grounds for a lawsuit if he chooses to pursue it.

That said, my gripe with the movie was that the story is pretty simplistic - if you're much of a science fiction fan, you've seen it done - heck, if you're much of a movie or literary fan at all, you've seen it done. I had the ending figured out when the main character first encounters his "avatar" . . . :rolleyes:

However, it IS a movie worth seeing, IMO, for the groundbreaking effects. It's an entertaining ride, and the effects are amazing.
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Chris2210 wrote:I rather suspect Cameron would claim a common 'inspiration'. This is after all a Hollywood film - you really wouldn't expect originality, would you?

Your cynicism amuses me :D
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Yessong » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:26 am

Castles in the sky is not what I am talking about - nor written descriptions - you gotta see the film....everything from the color pallette to the dragons the characters ride to the arched rocks screams of Dean's art. It looks like they bought one of his books and used each page as a template for the backgrounds. Heck don't take my word for it - do a google search for Roger Dean Avatar - there's more than a few folks who noticed. I even saw a cartoon that said "Hey Avatar Roger Dean wants hist flating mountains back!".

And, yes, I did enjoy the film though it was rather predictadable.
Yessong

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Yessong wrote:Castles in the sky is not what I am talking about - nor written descriptions - you gotta see the film....everything from the color pallette to the dragons the characters ride to the arched rocks screams of Dean's art. It looks like they bought one of his books and used each page as a template for the backgrounds. Heck don't take my word for it - do a google search for Roger Dean Avatar - there's more than a few folks who noticed. I even saw a cartoon that said "Hey Avatar Roger Dean wants hist flating mountains back!".

And, yes, I did enjoy the film though it was rather predictadable.

Yeah, that's exactly it - whole scenes seem plucked directly from Dean's drawings, for sure. Too much to merely be coincidence, in my book.
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Excellent film! Saw it yesterday.

The 3D effects and all that are great, enough to side-track you from the predictable plot (predictable yet still enjoyable). Perhaps overlly epic, but very magical/spiritual in places whilst hard-hitting and agressive elswhere, almost like a Yes album cover...

In fact, TOO much like a Yes album cover.

I absolutely agree with the Dean allegations. It is NOT a co-incidence.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby The Ancient » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:55 pm

I saw it yesterday. Roger Dean should sue him.
The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby The Ancient » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:23 pm

When asked about the obvious Roger Dean influence, Cameron replies something like "only back in my pot smoking days".
The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 pm

He's obviously heard of Dean then. What a stupid answer anyway, he's just dodging the truth.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Return to YEStalk