Wow where'd everybody go?

Moderator: N2yes

Wow where'd everybody go?

Postby EricBliss12345 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:21 am

This is the slowest i think Ive ever seen traffic on here ever. Still seeing some familiar names reading through posts which is cool, so to those of you guys around I just wanted to say hi and catch up with who's left. :-) So whats goin' on?

I'm gonna be THIRTY this year!!! Ack!
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Re: Wow where'd everybody go?

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:02 pm

ERIC!!!!!

FANTASTIC to see you! :)

Don't be a stranger - stop by when you can, OK? And let us know what's up in life . . .

Thirty, huh . . . you're just a youngster . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby EricBliss12345 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Nice to see you too! How ya been? Wow though its like a ghost town here now its crazy. Perhaps something to do with Andersonlessness?

Ya its nuts its almost my 10 year anniversary of joining the board! Wild! You know I was up till 7 am reading back through way old stuff (espesh from the bad time I had in Philly) and its been crazy!

Ive since adop0ted veganism (2 years meat and egg free, dairy almost as long) and have applied it to other areas of my life and stopped cigarettes and coffee. Trying to clean house a bit as I approach official adult years I s'pose. :-) Been really involved with electronic music scene (so ya still a couple bad habits hahaha plan on cutting that too my partying has decreased a LOT) in Pittsburgh DJing really progressive harder trance music. Lifes been crazy, last few years were wild too looking forward to my 30s being nice and chill! Who all still comes around?
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris2210 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Who comes around?

There are just a few of us who don't appear to know we're dead yet (30? Pah!) I suppose things have become progressively quieter as the band has become more and more inactive. Personally I really enjoyed the gig I saw in November, but with the absence of any new material there doesn't seem to be enough to really stimulate a lot of discussion around the band.

I suppose the situation is ironically exacerbated by the fact that those of us who are left are fairly like-minded and hold each other in fairly high regard [well, speaking for myself...]

Nothing seems to fire up threads on message boards like a good old falling-out.

Perhaps we need someone to come in and start calling people c*nts†. Know anyone like that?

†the only reason the asterisk is there is so that the thread won't be blocked at work by the automatic net-nanny that screens the naughty words.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby Yessong » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:11 pm

I'm still here though with fairly long time gaps in between
Yessong

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 pm

CUNT!

Only Joking.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby happytheman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:43 pm

"Is there anybody out there??"
Hello Eric, just an occasional drop by to see if there is still a "heartbeat".
I've found other sites that offer a "bit" more traffic thus conversations tend to go on for multiple of pages. But yeah very little to talk of in the world of Yes. Perhaps the "rumors" of new material will stimulate some action later this year.
I too enjoyed the latest incarnation of the band when I saw them. They still have the energy, but whether or not they can deliver the "goods" with a new release is still up for debate.
Welcome to the 30's, that was a great decade for me I found my "niche" and spent most of my time running the children back and forth to various activities many of which I was fully involved with. Very fond memories, hope your "decade" is equally fruitful.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:33 pm

Again nice to see some responses from some old familiar names!

Yeah Happy I too heard about some new material and the Drama-ness of the situation I find hilarious it's like 30 years to the day of the same thing with the 3 core instrumentalists and a new singer and keysman. And yeah chris Im sure no new album in what, 9 years is probably slowing discussion a bit, and you can only dissect "Heart Of The Sunrise" so many times. :-P I think the new guy sounds just like Jon it's kinda scary.

Seriously considering attending the Cleveland show in Feb just to see what's up. The older I get the less opinionated and harsh I've become so I'm willing to see if they can still cut the mustard live. Based on some Youtube vids I saw I'd say heck yeah they still can. :-) The keys sound a little thin which is my only complaint, but so longs the songs carry well overall no sense nitpicking.

And yeah I feel I'm gonna hit my stride in my 30's. My 20's were a disaster peppered with some amazing times though. Very extreme good and bad. Something feels different now, like an immense calm is washing over me like never before. I'm feeling more aware of things in a way I can't pinpoint.

And chris I hardly meant it as "Dammit, Im gonna be 30 and old" and I think that's how you took it. It was more like "Wow! Age milestone!" And what do you mean by the falling out and calling people a cunt stuff?
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:00 pm

EricBliss12345 wrote:Again nice to see some responses from some old familiar names!

Yeah Happy I too heard about some new material and the Drama-ness of the situation I find hilarious it's like 30 years to the day of the same thing with the 3 core instrumentalists and a new singer and keysman. And yeah chris Im sure no new album in what, 9 years is probably slowing discussion a bit, and you can only dissect "Heart Of The Sunrise" so many times. :-P I think the new guy sounds just like Jon it's kinda scary.

Seriously considering attending the Cleveland show in Feb just to see what's up. The older I get the less opinionated and harsh I've become so I'm willing to see if they can still cut the mustard live. Based on some Youtube vids I saw I'd say heck yeah they still can. :-) The keys sound a little thin which is my only complaint, but so longs the songs carry well overall no sense nitpicking.

And yeah I feel I'm gonna hit my stride in my 30's. My 20's were a disaster peppered with some amazing times though. Very extreme good and bad. Something feels different now, like an immense calm is washing over me like never before. I'm feeling more aware of things in a way I can't pinpoint.

And chris I hardly meant it as "Dammit, Im gonna be 30 and old" and I think that's how you took it. It was more like "Wow! Age milestone!" And what do you mean by the falling out and calling people a cunt stuff?

Naah, I didn't really take it amiss. I do remember though it being a bigger deal when I turned 30 than when the 40 thing happened. 50 I'm not looking forward to, but it is just a number - positive and healthy are the key things.

I was only also playing devil's advocate with the cunt word [surpisingly this thread hasn't been blocked at work, which is good]. I remember you as one of the edgier posters from the past and that's something I always enjoyed, personally. There was some nasty stuff between several members a year or so ago which resulted very uncharacteristically [for this site] in some temporary bans. I think that sort of thing - personal name calling and so on - is pretty unattractive and can put people off posting, but from my observation on the internet in general, it does seem to stimulate activity, even if it isn't good...

But a bit of healthy criticism and good natured banter wouldn't do us any harm.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby The Ancient » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 pm

Eric - you spend some time at a saltwater fish hobbyist site?
The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby twinarchers » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:58 am

Well Chris if I thought the C word would work I would use it but I am still new here so...

I have not figured out what gets people going around here yet. You never know what kind of post will get comments.

I did just watch a Rick Wakeman kind of bio on YouTube which is not all there but he talks about how he has blown or lost most of his money.
Holy Cow!!!! :eek:

Chris2210 wrote:Who comes around?

There are just a few of us who don't appear to know we're dead yet (30? Pah!) I suppose things have become progressively quieter as the band has become more and more inactive. Personally I really enjoyed the gig I saw in November, but with the absence of any new material there doesn't seem to be enough to really stimulate a lot of discussion around the band.

I suppose the situation is ironically exacerbated by the fact that those of us who are left are fairly like-minded and hold each other in fairly high regard [well, speaking for myself...]

Nothing seems to fire up threads on message boards like a good old falling-out.

Perhaps we need someone to come in and start calling people c*nts†. Know anyone like that?

†the only reason the asterisk is there is so that the thread won't be blocked at work by the automatic net-nanny that screens the naughty words.
twinarchers

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Howdy Howdy, Eric! See, just seeing you come back has livened up things a little - it's good to see! Coincidence? I don't think so... people like you around here, me included! Your (sometimes caustic) wit, etc... yee haa! And, congrats on the 30 milestone (ya puppy)!

Hang around a bit - it's good to see your posts!

I, too, am approaching 50, Chris, but I'm not concerned about it. Birthdays, like Mondays, are gonna come around no matter WHAT we do, so we might as well enjoy 'em....
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby EricBliss12345 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Chris2210 wrote:Naah, I didn't really take it amiss. I do remember though it being a bigger deal when I turned 30 than when the 40 thing happened. 50 I'm not looking forward to, but it is just a number - positive and healthy are the key things.

I was only also playing devil's advocate with the cunt word [surpisingly this thread hasn't been blocked at work, which is good]. I remember you as one of the edgier posters from the past and that's something I always enjoyed, personally. There was some nasty stuff between several members a year or so ago which resulted very uncharacteristically [for this site] in some temporary bans. I think that sort of thing - personal name calling and so on - is pretty unattractive and can put people off posting, but from my observation on the internet in general, it does seem to stimulate activity, even if it isn't good...

But a bit of healthy criticism and good natured banter wouldn't do us any harm.

Well thanks! Yeah I for sure had a bite to me back then not only in person but online too glad you enjoyed it hahaha. Warning though Ive mellowed some - I think life experiences have chilled me out a little(with philly and everything different and bad that proceeded my mom tells me Ive had several lifetimes of life lessons crammed into my 20's alone). Dont worry I'm still funny as fuck. I may be a shake of a lambs tail away from needing a walker but my sense of humor has more or less remained intact unlike my kneecaps or hairline. :-p Guess it could be worse I could be turning 50 hahaha. just playin guys

I plan on posting a little more regularly mr foolery, glad youre happy im back but you know youre gonna regret it once i get on a roll haha

Wow thats weird about the bans and animosity - this was always one of my favorite online communities and liked it because that was always minimal despite a few flare-ups here and there. What happened?

Oh and btw no i dont frequnt a saltwater fishing site. Fish are my buddies now I dont eat 'em no mo'. :-)
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby The Ancient » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:21 pm

I keep a saltwater aquarium and sometimes visit a hobbyist site where there is an ERIC12345 and he kind of has your edge, just no F words. Thought it might be you so I had to say something.
The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:44 pm

The Ancient wrote:I keep a saltwater aquarium and sometimes visit a hobbyist site where there is an ERIC12345 and he kind of has your edge, just no F words. Thought it might be you so I had to say something.

Wow! Here's ANOTHER blast from the past here! Great to see you! :)

We used to have some good times in the chat room - maybe if a few more folks come around again, we can start something up?
tardistraveler

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:19 am

Hey there, Eric, it's been eons since I've seen you on here, plus, it's been a few weeks since I've been on here. I'm thinking, just like other people, that YesTalk has become something of nearly a ghost town because of the lack of Yes activity and of course... no new studio material. I'm fairly certain that the whole history of the band has been dissected and talked about many times over and it's kinda difficult to come up with something new to talk about.

Anyways, it's good to see you active here again and it's great to see that you've improved your life considerably. I've been partially active on here on and off for a couple months. I used to bob up and down in here from time to time, although not checking out every thread or post as life happens. We all know how that is. I pretty much everyone up to speed on my life in another thread in Other Skylines a couple months ago. Although I stopped for a while, I didn't completely give up alcohol, even though I don't drink all that much. Just occasional beers then a switch to soda. Normally the only time I go out is to sing karaoke or see a local band play, and that's not very often at all. I still smoke cigarettes but not as much I used to (around half a pack per day) and I don't do any illegal drugs at all.

I've dealt with the fact that Yes is again Anderson-less and it's seeming to become a bit liberating for the band to play more material live that Jon otherwise wouldn't have wanted to, case in point, Drama material. As I mentioned waaaayyy back in November of '08, I finally got to Yes live and I really liked Benoit David's perfomance. It was as if Jon was made younger again. I found his voice to be across between Jon and Dennis DeYoung. He sounded awesome. You could close your eyes and you'd swear that it was Jon.

Speaking of '08, not only did I get to Yes perform live, I also got to see my other favorite band Rush and that was also another amazing show!!!

I've been kind of busy the past few weeks with work and personal stuff but I still browsed through here a few times. I love coming in here, it's just difficult to come up with things to talk about relating to Yes without virtually repeating something that's already been said.

I still browse through some of my older threads and posts and am embarassed by some of them. I don't get into political commentary anymore as it's just worth the hassle. I didn't like Bush and I don't care too much for Obama either. Politics is just not my field. Some social commentary is okay for me, depending on the issue. People change, maybe not overnight, but over time anyway.

As said before, Eric, it's great to see you back, as with you, Ancient.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:23 am

Regarding bans, I must've missed something here. Can someone fill me in?
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:38 pm

I've missed something too - did someone mention bans in this thread?
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:39 pm

topographic_drama1980 wrote:Regarding bans, I must've missed something here. Can someone fill me in?

tardistraveler wrote:I've missed something too - did someone mention bans in this thread?

OK - found it.

Occasionally there will be a flare-up between members, and someone will be suspended from the site for a time. It hasn't happened recently. :)
tardistraveler

Postby qman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:56 am

Eric,

Glad to read you have found your center, good. Keep it up. :)
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

Charter Member

Postby Dr_Yes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 am

EricBliss12345 wrote:This is the slowest i think Ive ever seen traffic on here ever. Still seeing some familiar names reading through posts which is cool, so to those of you guys around I just wanted to say hi and catch up with who's left. :-) So whats goin' on?

I'm gonna be THIRTY this year!!! Ack!

Wow Eric! Where'd you go?

I guess like the rest of us you've had other more important things on your mind.

But great to see you back here mate.

Personally, I find it hard to post on Yestalk because:

a) Yes isn't a real band anymore - but a tribute act)
b) There's no new material to discuss
c) I am not that fussed about hearing interpretations of Jon's cod philosophy
d) I am signed up with loads of other forums for new bands!!

Would love Yes's demise NOT to be the case. But that's why I guess most don't come here so often. ;)
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby thehallway » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:45 pm

And I have a feeling this new album won't be released until 2011, especially at the rate the current line-up are touring and what not.

It might not even be any good! :icon_ded

Still, some of us have to keep the flame burning until then I guess.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby yesman90125 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 am

EricBliss12345 wrote:Well thanks! Yeah I for sure had a bite to me back then not only in person but online too glad you enjoyed it hahaha. Warning though Ive mellowed some - I think life experiences have chilled me out a little(with philly and everything different and bad that proceeded my mom tells me Ive had several lifetimes of life lessons crammed into my 20's alone). Dont worry I'm still funny as fuck. I may be a shake of a lambs tail away from needing a walker but my sense of humor has more or less remained intact unlike my kneecaps or hairline. :-p Guess it could be worse I could be turning 50 hahaha. just playin guys

I plan on posting a little more regularly mr foolery, glad youre happy im back but you know youre gonna regret it once i get on a roll haha

Wow thats weird about the bans and animosity - this was always one of my favorite online communities and liked it because that was always minimal despite a few flare-ups here and there. What happened?

Oh and btw no i dont frequnt a saltwater fishing site. Fish are my buddies now I dont eat 'em no mo'. :-)

What's this, no wild stories about coked up thieving transsexuals with guns
what a let down.......

Good to see you Eric
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:08 pm

yesman90125 wrote:What's this, no wild stories about coked up thieving transsexuals with guns
what a let down.......

Good to see you Eric

And it's good to see YOU too, Chris . . . :)
tardistraveler

Postby guilddigger » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi Eric!

So, you hit thirty and feel okey with that. Wait till you reach forty, life gets even better then. I'll be fifty this summer and I can't wait to see what will happen!

Oh, I remember the glory days of YesTalk with the crazy nights in the chatroom and the close circuit of members that were online frequently.
I'm also one of those who suddenly did not come to visit very often, these days I drop in only every now and then to see if there's anything going on, but I don't post very often.
Like Doc I believe that with the band right now not being what we want them to be things are slowing down a bit here.

Good to see you posting again, I'm not surprised that what was needed to get everybody run to their keyboards was a message from you!
Now let's see if Dahni will show up with her paddle again.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:52 pm

It's just good to SEE everyone out here . . . :)

And there ARE other things to talk about besides Yes . . . I just enjoy hearing what's going on in life, and what other music you're discovering. I'm sure Linda would enjoy some contributions over in Alternate Tunes . . .

And it WOULD be fun to get something going in chat again - that was always a blast!

Good to see Qman and DrYes on this thread too! I've missed seeing all of you!
tardistraveler

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Yeah Bliss I remember you were like a stand-up comedian for this site.

I got into Facebook and 60's-70's psychedelic cocktail lounge jazz and film soundtracks from same era and other favorite prog rock bands like Moody Blues.

Still used At this Very Moment in Other Skylines to whine about stuff and clown around for a while

Got sick of the political arguments and energy wasting which ensued.

I think I visited this site daily for about 5 years...

I think when you turn 40 , you just become 18 again sort of...in any case, the small quiet voice of common sense remains the same at any age, it is just that it is harder to hear at certain life passages
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby EricBliss12345 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:12 pm

yesman90125 wrote:What's this, no wild stories about coked up thieving transsexuals with guns
what a let down.......

Good to see you Eric

I think those make for funny stories later when they happen in your 20's. If they're still happening in your thirties I think that's when people say "Um , who the fuck are you keeping company with?' :-P

No no more of that!

"It might not even be any good! "

Well Magnification was pretty bad, and that was 9 years ago. I dont know if the passage of time will help songwriting or not. I'm really starting to think The Ladder was their gasp, and if it is what can we expect? They've done some classic albums and already had at least 2 comebacks. If they do get a new cd done and it sucks really bad it's no skin off my back. There's always Close To The Edge or Going For The One to fall back on.
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:32 pm

EricBliss12345 wrote:I think those make for funny stories later when they happen in your 20's. If they're still happening in your thirties I think that's when people say "Um , who the fuck are you keeping company with?' :-P

No no more of that!

"It might not even be any good! "

Well Magnification was pretty bad, and that was 9 years ago. I dont know if the passage of time will help songwriting or not. I'm really starting to think The Ladder was their gasp, and if it is what can we expect? They've done some classic albums and already had at least 2 comebacks. If they do get a new cd done and it sucks really bad it's no skin off my back. There's always Close To The Edge or Going For The One to fall back on.

IMO Magnification was a cut above all the previous albums of the 90s. Sure it was no CTTE but it is good music (listening to it now in fact).
But yeah 9 years is a long time and this new venture could go either way.
The classic period will remain the band's peak I'm sure.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:48 pm

I haven't listened to Yes in like 2 years, except for occasional watchings of the Keys and Steve Howe classic artists dvds.
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Next

Return to YEStalk