Getting a bit sick and tired...

Moderator: N2yes

Getting a bit sick and tired...

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:09 am

...of all of the negativity coming from a lot of these so-called "fans." They go and see the band play and they piss and moan because Jon is not there. They're never hesitant to pick them apart piece by piece and I'm afraid of this bringing the band down. These purists seem so shocked that Jon's not in the band and won't be touring with them at all. Are these people stupid or just plain blind to the fact that Jon is not in the band anymore? Most of these fans have the internet, so they should know by now that neither Jon nor Rick are in Yes anymore. This line-up is Yes now, fucking deal with it or just don't listen to them or go see them perform!!!

While it is a shame that Jon can't tour with the band anymore due to his health restrictions (come on, he's 65 years old, no spring chicken anymore), this is the next best thing with this line-up. Both Benoit and Oliver are doing a magnificent job and they don't deserve all the shit that's being slung their way. I do love Jon and his voice and most everything he's brought to the band, same thing with Rick, but they both can't do any big tours anymore. What's the band supposed to do, just stay home and not do anything at all?! I'd much rather see this version of Yes than no Yes at all. I know a lot of folks are upset with the fact that the HSW introducing BD & OW tag is no longer applied and that this is now YES. Either accept it or don't. I guess you can pretty much toss the concept of the band being bigger than the sum of its parts out the window, as regards to these whiners. Why do they continue to go see the band play? It would seem like a waste of time and money. Hell, this line-up has done some of the best performances to come from under the Yes banner in many years and they were also able to play some songs that they otherwise wouldn't be able to play with Jon, especially "Machine Messiah" and "Tempus Fugit."

When I saw Yes for the first time in November of '08, I was simply amazed at how well the band played, especially Steve, who was a total monster. I was ready to see if he would turn into the Incredible Hulk, for God's sake! Also, I actually got to hear "Close To The Edge" performed live and it really rivaled its studio counterpart. They actually sped it up for a change and played just a bit faster than the original version. Steve was also able to achieve the same exact guitar sound that he'd originally done, which, imho, was impressive. The show was excellent aside from a few minor flubs (hey, no show is 100% perfect) and they really entertained and delivered such satisfying results.

It's not just the touring aspect for these people, it's the line-up, period. I'm sorry to people who feel differently than I do. It's your choice whether to continue supporting the band and going to the shows. Nobody is twisting your arm or forcing you at gunpoint. Bottom line: if you don't like this line-up, then just don't support them anymore and just go see some other band or artist! Sorry if I came off sounding like a prick, but I felt I had to let my opinion out there. If you agree with me, fine. If not, then fine.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Re: Getting a bit sick and tired...

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:17 am

One more thing, why does YesWorld still say that Jon will not be part of the line-up of Yes touring with Peter Frampton? I can't figure that out.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:25 pm

They played CTTE in 2008? I didn't kthink any of the epics were in the set list of this line-up?
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby happytheman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:54 pm

thehallway wrote:They played CTTE in 2008? I didn't kthink any of the epics were in the set list of this line-up?

I was just going to say the same thing. I need to go back and refresh my memory. I saw them once in 2008 and once in 2009 and don't recall CTTE in the set list.

I gotta do some more checking I found this with a quick search....maybe I did see Benoit sing Close to the Edge and I just forgot.......OOPs! 2008 set list

1st Set:
Firebird Suite
Siberian Khatru
I've Seen All Good People
Heart of the Sunrise
Tempus Fugit
Onward
Astral Traveller
Close To The Edge

2nd Set:
Parallels
And You and I
Mood For a Day
Clap
Owner of a Lonely Heart
Long Distance Runaround/The Fish
New Song by Chris- Aliens are Only Us From the Future
Machine Messiah
Soon
South Side of the Sky

Encore:
Roundabout
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby coalescestudionyc » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:59 pm

I distinctly remember the band playing Close To The Edge out at the Westbury Music Fair in Long Island in 2008 (I will always call it Westbury Music Fair because it keeps changing the name.) David messed up the lyrics a bit but it was still a great performance.

And in all likelihood, Jon isn't listed for the 2010 Bethel concert because the contracts signed don't include Jon. The contracts are prepared a few months in advance. If Jon rejoins at some point, he'll probably perform with them a few months down the road from signing so the logistics of where they play and when can be worked out in advance.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:53 pm

They aren't doing any long pieces this year though, I think...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Yes, I saw this lineup in 2008, and they played CTTE.

I imagine YesWorld is stating that Jon won't be on this tour to avoid confusion.

And Josh, I agree. If you don't want to see this lineup, then it's very simple to save your money and just stay home. It's been no secret who's playing with them during this incarnation.
tardistraveler

Postby jgshetz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:42 pm

My issue isn't so much with the lineup, but that we haven't heard any new material since 2001. I distinctly remember Chris saying years ago (perhaps in the "YesYears" video?) that he didn't want to get into the business of "legend peddling". Well, that's exactly what they have been doing on this latest tour swing, even with the addition of Drama material. As one reviewer put it, now we are listening to Beniot David imitate Trevor Horn imitate Jon Anderson. If Asia could manage to bang out two albums of new material, why can't Yes? If Benoit and Oliver are the future of the band, then let's hear what they can do in the studio. For Yes to stay relevant, and to add legitimacy to a life without Jon, they have to record new material. I've seen this lineup three times, and liked it all, but there's no need to keep going unless they have some new stuff. At least with the classic lineup, the solos and nightly ad-libs kept me interested, but with this group that's not happening to the same level of quality.
I speak from some sort of protection of learning, even though I make it up as I go on
jgshetz

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:20 pm

jgshetz wrote:As one reviewer put it, now we are listening to Beniot David imitate Trevor Horn imitate Jon Anderson.

LOL - but yeah, I guess that IS what's happening!

It would be interesting to see what this lineup can do in the studio. Too bad the "classic five" didn't seize the opportunity to record some new things . . . you've got to have new stuff or the band just stagnates.
tardistraveler

Postby N2yes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:45 am

For the longest time, I had quite a bit of a problem with a YES w/o Jon. That being said, it would appear by all reports that a serious effort is being made to resurrect this grand name. There is something to be said for anyone who can even partially fill the shoes of some of these laddies! Complex music, done in true YES fashion can be no easy feat.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Why?

Postby beelzeboob » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Why do I have to keep logging in every time I post? I just lost a response that I spent a half hour on! Who do I contact to fix this?
beelzeboob

Re: Why?

Postby beelzeboob » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Well, I’m really bummed that you can’t stand all the “negativity,” but that’s called criticism, and I’ll continue with it. You do know that “fan” is short for “fanatic.” right? I won’t get on board with anything in an un-questioning, uncritical way, especially a band that I’ve liked and admired for over thirty years. I saw them in Chicago last month, and Benoit and Oliver were not “simply magnificent.” Most assuredly not. They were adequate. Oliver was mixed way down (he simply isn’t the player his father is, and Howe, Squire and White know this), and Benoit did a passable imitation of Anderson, mostly. It is, after all, what he was hired to do. Squire, Howe and White were quite good, especially Howe.
I don’t accept that the new lineup is fine, and I’ll continue to criticize them (the band) as I see fit. The fact is, Yes’ muse fled them decades ago; the thought of the new lineup recording new material, is, well, interesting, to say the least. I guarantee you that if Yes were to suddenly announce that Jon and Rick were going to start touring and the band would start performing their master works in their entirety (say, all of Topographic in one performance), they would easily sell out even large venues. They have a huge fan-base that I know would love to hear them perform their masterworks. It really is all they have; it’s something to be immensely proud of. Their work from their early middle to middle period (The Yes Album all the way to Going For The One) is stunning, and the possibilities of performance are about endless. If the "new lineup" records anything new, it will almost certainly be God-awful. They simply don't need to do this.
You know what? Chris Squire doesn’t have to worry about what songs he wants to play, because Benoit sure isn’t going to give him any shit about it. The deal is, they're all earnin’ right now, so don’t worry about guys like me “bringing the band down,” alright? Unquestioning loyalty to anything (fandom) is always bad.
beelzeboob

Postby thehallway » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:12 pm

The good old reporters of Prog magazine have revealed something very exciting!

Wakeman and Anderson were already confirmed in this semi-secretive "project", and later Rabin (who actually was called by Howe first, but declined).

The slot of the drummer is to be filled, somewhat surprisingly, with the "retired" Bill Bruford.

Our 'Re-Union' forcast is becoming more and more of a reality every day!

The Question is, what will this band be called, and which camp will do better? (I'm thinking they should call it Maybe...)
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby N2yes » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:06 am

Are others experiencing the same problem that Beezleboob ( like the name, btw ) is citing?
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:23 pm

N2yes wrote:Are others experiencing the same problem that Beezleboob ( like the name, btw ) is citing?

Not I. On a side note I've seen two references to the fact that Jon, Rick, and Trevor are "working" on something for this year.... any one else in the "loop" on that rumor?
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm having no trouble logging on either. As for the Jon news, I'm becoming wearisomely accustomed to news of pending projects which turn out to be no more than wishful thinking, whether from fans, or Jon himself.

I rather suspect some of that scepticism and impatience has in no small way contributed to the present situation with the band. It's a great shame because I don't think the band are capable of producing their very best without him on board [or Steve, for that matter]. But we have to be grown-up about such things and our wishing for collaborations can only come true if the desire is there amongst the principals.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby thehallway » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:22 pm

I must admit I was shocked at Bruford's (in particular) potential involvement. But it was said that if it goes ahead at all, he will be involved.

Wakeman and Anderson are definately working together regardless. That at least, has been confirmed. BUt Wakeman is toying with us:
"if the discussions that Jon and I have had recently come to fruition, which I think are extremely likely, then next year is going to be potentially mind-blowing ……now that should set the tongues wagging for sure!"
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 am

Jon and Rick have toured together quite recently, haven't they? That seems to be a long-standing alliance [Rick and Jon departed at the same time pre-Drama]. Superficially it seems kind of strange because you'd have to say in terms of character [what we 'officially' know of them] they seem to have the least in common personality-wise. In spite of that I think there's something deeper that makes them gel - an impulsiveness perhaps and an independence of nature.

Who can guess the complex relationships that go on with this group of people? The last time we had a similar line-up it was Anderson/Bruford/WakemanHowe. It surprised me relatively recently to hear rumours that the biggest tensions in the band had for years been between Anderson and Squire. I suppose Yes fans should be beyond surprise at anything that happens with this band.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:03 pm

beelzeboob wrote:Why do I have to keep logging in every time I post? I just lost a response that I spent a half hour on! Who do I contact to fix this?

I'm not sure, but this might happen if you don't have cookies enabled. Make sure when you log in you set it up to "Remember Me", and then you shouldn't have to log back in when posting.

If you're doing this, and still having a problem, PM me.
tardistraveler

The band, such as it is . . .

Postby beelzeboob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:26 am

This a test . . . and only a test. It looks like maybe I can post freely. As far as Anderson and Squire go, I'm pretty sure they don't always see eye to eye. It's my feeling that the current band is making good money whilst touring, and having fun too. When the originals toured in '03 and came through Chicago, Howe appeared tired and distracted, and not at all involved. You could've put a wax dummy on stage and one would have been hard-pressed to tell the difference. He reminded me of the Howe of old when I saw them last Feb here at House of Blues in Chicago. He seemed energized, and actually looked younger . . . he sure acted like a younger man; his playing was flawless, and he was downright jocular, laughing, trading comments with Squire and the audience. Also, he seems far more willing to play the guitar parts as they were orignally performed, availing himself to modern technology (acoustic/electric modeling software and the latest guitars and their effects) to move effortlessly from sound to sound, electric to acoustic and back. It really sounded good.I think its Squire's band now--I think he's basically calling the shots (song selection), and that's that. Too bad. As I mentioned above, it would be great to see them doing their masterworks as an event unto themselves--those would be some incredible shows. It seems very unlikely that this is going to happen, though.
beelzeboob

Posting

Postby beelzeboob » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:29 am

It seems I can only post without re-signing in if I copy and paste from notepad . . . it's like the the thing times out after a minute or so. I made some adjustments on my end, so we'll see.
beelzeboob

Re: Posting

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:36 pm

*****FYI Im having issues posting too.

Honestly, I don't feel the need to talk any shit on this lineup.

Yes you heard me correctly.

Call it getting older, turning into a softy or whatever, but me, one of the most critical of Yes critics, feels no need to talk shit on this lineup.

Am I excited about it? Hell no. Does that mean I need to bitch about it? Nope.

Sorry if this rehashes what anybody said, but I didn't bother to read most of this thread.

If anything, they're basically an enhanced tribute act. A really, REALLY good tribute act. I mean hell, they even have one original Yes member with them! hahaha (isnt it funny when you think about it like that?)

I've said it before and I dont mind repeating myself. Yes has blessed us with some of the best rock music ever recorded and some great live shows too. Yeah, they did this exact same thing to us before with Drama, and that time it was cool but I dont need a part two. Wanna know why? Im satisfied with Yes's entire career. In 2004 or 5, they could have stopped and I didnt feel the need for them to add more to their legacy. They did one final amazing tour with a Dean stage, played a goofy unpredictable setlist that diehards went apeshit for, and did it with a truly classic lineup of Yes musicians. I'll keep my mouth shut on what I think of their last studio release as I'm not in the mood for any more broken record shit today. That would have been a great note to go out on.

But look at 'em go, the little bastards. Still up to their "fuck loyalty, we do what we want" shit and still out there playing their hearts out and doing it on their own terms like they always have and doing songs from Drama to boot. I think the tickets are kinda pricey considering what we're getting, but these dudes have been busting their asses for years. If they feel that price is fair then that's a fair price. I voted with my debit card and sat the last show out (though I am strongly considering the double bill with Frampton this summer). It wasn't that hard to do.

So for once, I'm gonna let you guys go at it about the lineup. Don't forget, these dudes are all very close to pooping their pants and beaming live shows from the home, so I think it's fantastic they're still up and at 'em like a bunch of young bucks. You don't have to go if you don't want to. Wanna hear Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman with Yes? Look at your CD/DVD collections you can TOTALLY make it happen on your own.
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:39 pm

What Eric said . . . great post!

Yeah - go or not - it's your choice. But this IS what's happening in the ever-changing land of Yes right now . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:10 pm

tardistraveler wrote:What Eric said . . . great post!

Yeah - go or not - it's your choice. But this IS what's happening in the ever-changing land of Yes right now . . . ;)

It's not always a choice to go; they barely visit the UK anymore, and when the last did I missed the single night where they were anywhere near me.
I'm hoping Anderson and Wakeman's UK tour this Winter will have more dates.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby coalescestudionyc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:49 pm

thehallway wrote:It's not always a choice to go; they barely visit the UK anymore, and when the last did I missed the single night where they were anywhere near me.
I'm hoping Anderson and Wakeman's UK tour this Winter will have more dates.

Well, after reading this article, it looks like Jon is well enough to tour (at least with Rick,) but I think that unless the money is really good or ruffled feathers are smoothed over, I don't think we'll be seeing Jon (and hopefully Rick) on stage with Chris, Alan and Steve.

http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/interviews_display.cfm?id=100436

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:22 pm

coalescestudionyc wrote:Well, after reading this article, it looks like Jon is well enough to tour (at least with Rick,) but I think that unless the money is really good or ruffled feathers are smoothed over, I don't think we'll be seeing Jon (and hopefully Rick) on stage with Chris, Alan and Steve.

http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/interviews_display.cfm?id=100436

Michael

That article is a perfect example of why I love the mindset of people like Jon Anderson. Those visionaries remove boundaries and create good music as a result, which is what I want to do for a living. I write a lot but discard most of my ideas because they feel "inferior" I suppose, to the music I love. I think that's part of the proccess of being creative. But you need the perfect balance between influence and originality, in order to move forward. Its those prog rockers who stepped outside the box and "let it flow"...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby qman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:45 am

I can't wait for a new CD.
I loved the Ladder and Magnification, I think they just keep getting better.
I miss Jon, sure we all do, but I like new blood and I want YES to continue for years to come. Personally I's rather have Igor the 2000 tour was mind blowing great but Oliver it is, so be it.
Those that want to piss and moan enjoy yourselves, me well I'm diggin YES still being around and creating.
The glass is half full.

[|)]
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Got tickets for the Anderson/Wakeman tour now. They had the courtesy to go near my town this time! :o
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Fantastic! Hope you enjoy the show!
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Cheers! I'm sure it will be great.
[8]
thehallway