spring cleaning

Moderator: N2yes

spring cleaning

Postby Ed Schaum » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi,

I came up with a good solution to the spammer problem, so I figured I'd open things up again to have a look back.

This is different software, but I was able to port over all the messages and most of the photos. Member avatars didn't make it though. I still have them, but they're not associated with your account.

Enjoy.

Ed
Ed Schaum

Re: spring cleaning

Postby tardistraveler » Tue May 06, 2014 9:42 pm

Finally made it back in - thanks for letting me know the site was back! It's good to see it again! :)
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Tue May 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Well, just tried to load a new avatar pic, but I was going to have to make it teeny-tiny to get it under 6 KB . . . I'll try again later.
tardistraveler

Postby Ed Schaum » Wed May 07, 2014 3:21 am

tardistraveler wrote:Well, just tried to load a new avatar pic, but I was going to have to make it teeny-tiny to get it under 6 KB . . . I'll try again later.

I increased the size that can be uploaded. I didn't realize there was such a small default size limit.

Let me know if that doesn't work.
Ed Schaum

Postby Ash » Fri May 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Good to back. I posted a concert review! Getting the hang of this computery stuff.........
Ash

Postby carlmarx38 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm a new member, I've been at YESfans.com, but talk about coincidences, I just this morning made a decision that I may be
quitting my account over there (I've been frustrated with the lack of meaningful threads/posts, and also growing disrespect
among many posters for both the band and other fans). Then just as I was sending messages of my intentions to a few members
over that I admire and respect, I saw a message that this site was back up.

Perfect timing !
carlmarx38

Postby tardistraveler » Tue May 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks, Ed, for increasing the avatar size. I'll try again.

And I've always been among the folks who visit both Yestalk and Yesfans. They are different sites, and both have their charms. However, on ANY site, you are going to have folks who disagree, and where Yes is concerned, unfortunately there is MUCH fodder for disagreement! lol

Anyway, glad to see some folks stopping by here, and we'll see what flavor this place takes on from here.
tardistraveler

Postby Chris1960 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:16 pm

How long we been back up? You'll note I've had to re-register to get back in. After a spell in the 'other place' [not the House of Lords] I have certainly missed the character of YesTalk.
Chris1960

Postby Ed Schaum » Thu May 15, 2014 11:47 pm

Chris1960 wrote:How long we been back up? You'll note I've had to re-register to get back in. After a spell in the 'other place' [not the House of Lords] I have certainly missed the character of YesTalk.

A few weeks ago I found a way to transfer everything to this software, which has better protection, so I figured i might as well open it up again. There's a bunch of good stuff here so I figured it would be good if it was available. And if people stop by, that would be even better.

Not sure why you would have to re-register. All of the old accounts are still here.
Ed Schaum

Postby Pianozach » Fri May 16, 2014 4:35 am

"The Universe has created in you a magnificent, luminous being. You are a vital powerhouse of probabilities, capable of far more creativity than you have previously imagined." --unknown
Pianozach

Postby Chris1960 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:13 am

Ed Schaum wrote:
Chris1960 wrote:How long we been back up? You'll note I've had to re-register to get back in. After a spell in the 'other place' [not the House of Lords] I have certainly missed the character of YesTalk.

A few weeks ago I found a way to transfer everything to this software, which has better protection, so I figured i might as well open it up again. There's a bunch of good stuff here so I figured it would be good if it was available. And if people stop by, that would be even better.

Not sure why you would have to re-register. All of the old accounts are still here.

Dunno - it's coming up with the old name and [I think] even remembering the password, but doesn't appear to want to accept it. No big deal.

I checked this forum by chance - someone mentioned that a lot of the old names here are on Facebook. I don't use that much and haven't been able to find anything obvious that would find those 'Friends', but it could be a good avenue to spread the word if someone is a little more savvy.

It would be nice to have some thoughtful conversations once the new album is available.

In the meantime, I'd be interested to hear what you think of FFH - sufficient time has elapsed to form a considered perspective on that one.
Chris1960

Postby Ed1909 » Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 am

Well, a chance search for Yestalk yesterday and the forum I thought had gone to the great Internet graveyard is back! :icon_cool
Hello friends!
Ed1909

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris1960 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Ed1909 wrote:Well, a chance search for Yestalk yesterday and the forum I thought had gone to the great Internet graveyard is back! :icon_cool
Hello friends!

Great to see you around Ed. Did you manage to see our boys in concert this time around? - I caught them in Sheffield.
Chris1960

Postby Ed1909 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:32 am

I did indeed. I was at the Bristol Hippodrome which was filmed. Sadly much of my view was obscured by a cameraman so saw next to nothing of Mr Downes!
JD is IMHO a great improvement on BD as a frontman - reminds me of a mid-70's JA visually. I became a bit disillusioned with Yes once Jon & Rick had gone. However, I thought Fly From Here was a decent enough album (apart from Into The Storm) and feel Yes is now more "Yessy" with JD. Looking forward to Heaven and Earth.
Ed1909

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris1960 » Tue May 20, 2014 12:47 pm

I'd agree about JD. I liked BD when I saw him with them, but listening again to the recording I bought of the concert, it wasn't quite so good as my memory had fooled me. I don't think JD is as much of a soundalike, but he seems to feel the music more and that gives a bit more depth. The evening flew by in Sheffield.

But talking of flying [seewaddididthere?] In to the Storm is my favourite track on FFH - I think it's the most authentic Yes sound of all the songs. There are very nice touches throughout, but although I think it's OK, I don't think the basic songwriting of the Horne/Downes partnership stands up against the best of classic era Yes [in which I'd include Magnification].

Whilst I think both Steve and Chris are very capable songwriters, their solo-written tracks on the last album did sound like them as individuals rather than the Yes collective sound. It remains to be seen if Davidson can provide the binding agent to make the forthcoming disc a cohesive album. I prefer to remain optimistic at this stage.
Chris1960

Postby tardistraveler » Wed May 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Agree that Into the Storm is the most "Yessy" track on FFH, IMO. It's not my favorite Yes album, nor is it my least favorite. It's listenable and I do so on occasion. I'm curious what Heaven and Earth will sound like and if JD's influence will be a major change, or not.
tardistraveler

Postby slinkeey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:37 pm

It's nice to see that you are back up. Was it down since like 2010, or something?
slinkeey

Postby slinkeey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:43 pm

tardistraveler wrote:I'm curious what Heaven and Earth will sound like and if JD's influence will be a major change, or not.

Are spoilers allowed here?
slinkeey

Postby slinkeey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:33 pm

slinkeey wrote:Was it down since like 2010, or something?

It looks like the last postings before the silence was in 2011.
slinkeey

Postby yesireebob » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Wow, blast from the past! Haven't been on any forums in years and years. When I received the email I searched for the site myself, fearing the email was spam leading to a malicious site! But here it is, hello Ed, Chris and Ed! Honestly I have not followed Yes since Jon left and that tribute band singer took his place. And I abandoned the forums when this one died and the other got by turns trite and nasty. So what are you all up to? I now live in the Netherlands rather than Phoenix, so a bit closer to the UK crew!
yesireebob

Postby yesireebob » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:51 pm

oh and hi Diane!
yesireebob

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:01 am

My, my, my. After all this time! Been like 4 years now, hasn't it? Not sure what happened to this forum before, but it's great to be back. I've missed this place. I was on yesfans,com (technically still there but haven't posted in a couple years) but I prefer this forum as I was on here longer and feel more at home. I'm also on Facebook a good bit. Great to see these forums up and running again, Ed! :icon_smil
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Fun to see old friends out here!

Yes, Linda, this place is back! MUCH more conducive than Facebook for having a real conversation! I just got an e-mail that someone posted on an old thread I started years ago - fixing to check that out! lol
tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:56 pm

slinkeey wrote:
tardistraveler wrote:I'm curious what Heaven and Earth will sound like and if JD's influence will be a major change, or not.

Are spoilers allowed here?

I don't think anyone would care - just post "SPOILER" at the top or something.
tardistraveler

Postby slinkeey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm

carlmarx38 wrote:I'm a new member, I've been at YESfans.com, but talk about coincidences, I just this morning made a decision that I may be
quitting my account over there (I've been frustrated with the lack of meaningful threads/posts, and also growing disrespect
among many posters for both the band and other fans).

Yesfans does have some great people participating in their forums. Unfortunatly, I have been banned from there year ago.. I still lurk that board to catch spoilers, and find out what is going on in the world of Yes.
I have found that this place is much more tolerant and open to people that have different ideas.

carlmarx38 wrote:Perfect timing !

...For the new album!
slinkeey

Postby slinkeey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm

carlmarx38 wrote:I'm a new member, I've been at YESfans.com, but talk about coincidences, I just this morning made a decision that I may be
among many posters for both the band and other fans).

Yesfans does have some great people participating in their forums. Unfortunatly, I have been banned from there year ago.. I still lurk that board to catch spoilers, and find out what is going on in the world of Yes.
I have found that this place is much more tolerant and open to people that have different ideas.

carlmarx38 wrote:Perfect timing !

...for the new album!
slinkeey

Postby Chris1960 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Nice to see a bit of activity here. I have been visiting the other place, but I've never found it anywhere near as involving as Yestalk was at its height and I guess that was down the quality of the company. Nice to see a few of those back and I hope we can generate enough interest to get this place going again.

Can't access that link on SoundCloud I'm afraid. I've signed up, but it's reported as private or removed. Not long to wait now in any case I suppose. A new album should be just the thing to get things stirring again.
Chris1960

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:34 am

Morning all,

I accessed the brief snippet made available of 'Believe Again' via Yes's Facebook page. Dunno if it's still available there?
There's a further preview of another track coming up this Friday, I think.

Not overly thrilled by what I've heard so far, but it's hard to tell from what is just an advertising jingle.

I remain as hopeful as my natural pessimism and inclination towards reflective melancholia permits.....

Good to have YesTalk back! We need to get out there and sell the dream!

All good wishes,
Ash
x
Ash

Postby slinkeey » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:48 pm

I just had to come to my senses and realize that Yes is no longer a Progressive *Rock* band.

As long as you accept that fact that they are Easy Listening, Adult Contemporary, or whatever you want to call it, you may possibly listen to this stuff with open ears.
slinkeey

Postby guilddigger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:00 am

It must be years since I was here. This place looks so fresh and new.

Hi everyone, new and old members.
Yes, even I have made it back.

Through the years I have now and then tried to get back here but each time found the site was still down.
Last night I was browsing on my phone and thought I'd give it a try again.
And yestalk is up and running again!

I immediately tried to log in but failed. So I sent a mail to Ed and he fixed it in a blink! Dear old Ed!
My old password was too short for the new site.

It's nice to see so many familiar 'faces' from the golden days.
Now I must take a look at the new place.
See you all!

Tom
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Next

Return to YEStalk