[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - SPOILER!! -- Heaven and Earth Track 01 -- Believe-Again

SPOILER!! -- Heaven and Earth Track 01 -- Believe-Again

Moderator: N2yes

SPOILER!! -- Heaven and Earth Track 01 -- Believe-Again

Postby slinkeey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:01 pm

After a few listens, it doesn’t sound too bad.
I think that it sounds a little simple, but it’s growing on me. My wife liked it from the first listen. She thinks that it has a nice full sound to it. I am guessing the keyboard layers give that impression.
slinkeey

Re: SPOILER!! -- Heaven and Earth Track 01 -- Believe-Again

Postby slinkeey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:15 pm

Looks like it was taken down.

Bummer.
slinkeey

Postby Ash » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:26 am

Re: Here it is ! The first tune from Heaven and Earth !

Morning all,
(for 'tis morning in Albion, and a fine morning too. i.e. it isn't raining)

If 'Believe Again, is at all representative of the album, I'm prepared to be disappointed. Those lyrics, dear me! Quite ghastly.
Perhaps over a few listens, the words will sink into the texture of the music, and one's consciousness will cease to register their inanity. There only remains the hope that the music itself is strong enough to engage and retain my interest. On the scant evidence so far, I am not optimistic of this. Suffice it to say, however, that I was just listening to the snippet made available using my smartphone and headphones.

For me, The Ladder is the last wholly satisfying Yes album. Again, for me it is a fine successor to Going for the One from so many years before. It has energy, verve, invention and great playing and production. Magnification I find, for the most part, underwritten, underdeveloped and dull. My interest in what they did with Mr Rabin in the 1980s is zero.

After seeing the band revitalised in concert so recently in the UK and Europe, it seems a real shame if that vitality is not present on the new album, and in the new material. I shall see and hear, for myself, when it's released.

Best wishes,
Ash
Ash

Postby Chris1960 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:01 pm

Just heard the snippet myself and it does sound underwhelming on a first go. But it appears to be fairly low res and with Yes music often the delight of the music is in the detail and finish. We shall hear.

Reading the lyrics does make it appear to be something of a JA pastiche and from the snippet seemingly lacking the force of his conviction - which although verging on monomania, certainly has passion and power. But oft times I find that lyrics [and this applies not least to Mr Anderson's] can look rather lame on the printed page. It's only when you hear the delivery and start to appreciate the nuances that you begin to appreciate how apt and how effective they very often are.

JA at his height obviously quite deliberately broke down the linearity and sense of the lines in an immediately obvious way. That often both sidesteps pop cliché as well as leaving interpretation to be much more open ended. Considering he's usually focussed on the ineffable, that's an approach that actually borders on genius.

So I'm hoping the snippet is about as revealing as that first listen I recall of the pre-released ITPO, which I also remember being underwhelmed by. I soon came to the opinion that that is a track worthy of comparison with And You and I - that is, amongst the most moving in the Yes canon.

I personally thought Magnification was the first truly great Yes album since the 70s. I've enjoyed FFH, but I don't think it's in the same league.

I'd like to think this new album might blow me away, but I'm doubtful a Yes without JA, SH and also possibly CS can produce anything quite as magical as those past glories.

That isn't a plea for the return of Jon Anderson - I suspect that ship has sailed. I'm a realist and whilst I can wish for something to prize amongst the best, I'm prepared to settle for something which is merely very good. I'd be disappointed with anything less.
Chris1960

Return to YEStalk