Merry Christmas and a hopeful new year

Moderator: N2yes

Merry Christmas and a hopeful new year

Postby Chris1960 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:03 pm

Well, seasons greetings to any of the old crowd who comes across this. What are your hopes for next year, band-wise?

I was actually hoping that Heaven and Earth would be a step on from Fly From Here, but I can't help feeling it's a step back. I hope if they do a further studio album it will be more fully collaborative with greater input from Steve and Chris, both in the writing process and time spent on fully working out arrangements and adding at least the 'Yes-finish' to songs.

Perhaps next year's tours will present better versions of material from that last album [as some seem to report from the last US leg] to give an indication of what might be accomplished.

In any case I hope 2015 proves to be better than this year for all of us in social, personal and cultural spheres. Happy Christmas.
Chris1960

Re: Merry Christmas and a hopeful new year

Postby guilddigger » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Merry belated Christmas to one and all and a Happy New Year.

I too have a feeling the last album is a step back. I fear they are running out of strong musical ideas.
RT Baker was not the best choice to produce the album. He's left too big a mark on the final result.
The songs on Heaven and Earth are not bad, it's the arrangements and production that made it more lame than at least I had hoped for.

On a good note though, if they continue to tour and make albums (I think they will), having Jon Davidson's voice in the band is the best thing that's happened lately.
Hopefully this was only a final exam for JD. Let's hope they can make at least one more good Yes-album before they call it quits.
The ever optimistic fans tend to say things like that...
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris1960 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:23 am

guilddigger wrote:RT Baker was not the best choice to produce the album. He's left too big a mark on the final result.
The songs on Heaven and Earth are not bad, it's the arrangements and production that made it more lame than at least I had hoped for.

That's almost exactly what I think too - biggest problem I feel with most of the tracks is there doesn't seem to have been an awful lot of time spent on arrangement.

That makes me a little pessimistic about the prospects for further albums - they don't tend to make money, so I think this one has been made on a tight budget leading to too little studio time. I don't know what the answer to that is unless the band are willing to devote more of their personal time and/or risk losing more money on the production of future discs. It is a bit galling because contrasting this with Howe's last solo effort [Time] and the meticulousness of that, the contrast is pretty stark - I think that's definitely one of, if not the best of his solo cuts. H&E would rank fairly well down the list [although not bottom!] of Yes albums.
Chris1960

Postby Yessong » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Chris1960 wrote:
guilddigger wrote:RT Baker was not the best choice to produce the album. He's left too big a mark on the final result.

That's almost exactly what I think too - biggest problem I feel with most of the tracks is there doesn't seem to have been an awful lot of time spent on arrangement.

That makes me a little pessimistic about the prospects for further albums - they don't tend to make money, so I think this one has been made on a tight budget leading to too little studio time. I don't know what the answer to that is unless the band are willing to devote more of their personal time and/or risk losing more money on the production of future discs. It is a bit galling because contrasting this with Howe's last solo effort [Time] and the meticulousness of that, the contrast is pretty stark - I think that's definitely one of, if not the best of his solo cuts. H&E would rank fairly well down the list [although not bottom!] of Yes albums.

Agreed on all points....
Yessong

Charter Member

Return to YEStalk