best tour of the last 15 years

best tour of the last 15 years

Postby NumberNine » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:57 pm

What was the best tour of the last 15 years to you?

To me it was the open your eyes tour back in 1997/1998. Symphonic was great, they played gates with an orchestra! Masterworks was kind of lala, the comeback of rick and the full circle tour was great too. the 35th aniversary tour with the accousic set was fun but when i listen to recordings of the open your eyes tour and when i think back seeing them in 1997 i always think, wow, they sound like studio. i think the band was quite together these days after doing the st louis shows and recording keystudio. Igor was just great at the keyboards.

When i saw them live and listened to the revealing science it was just a wow-moment.

My second fav was symphonic live. I remember all the candles and the beatles song they played because Harrisson died.
NumberNine

Re: best tour of the last 15 years

Postby Lyth » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Best tour?

Tricky.

Watching them do 'Close to The Edge, 'Gates' (especially 'Gates'!!!) and 'Ritual' with the orchestra was something that will always stay with me.

For atmosphere though, it has to be the Open Your Eyes Tour - after 7 years without Yes in the UK the band and crowd were so up for it at the gigs I went to.

As regards performance - that night in Liverpool back in 2003 still remains one of the greatest gigs that I have ever had the honour of witnessing.
Lyth

Charter Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 am

Well, this current tour that's going on now is the only I've ever been to, so far, so I can't really answer to much with the exception of this tour being very outstanding so far, regardless of who's in the band.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby Relayer » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:32 am

This may not be the popular answer but none the less I would say Talk, the musicananship,
and the Songwriting from that album and tour, is to me hands down supperior to anything the band has done since, the only other tour in the past 15 years that I feel needs mentioning would the Masterworks tour.
Relayer

Starship Trooper

Postby yesman90125 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:16 am

Talk/the Ladder,Symphonic, and 2002 were all equally great
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby sound_chaser » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:36 am

I was lucky enough to see the Open Your Eyes, The Ladder and Magnification tours. All great, of course and I’m not sure I could choose a favourite. I remember on The Ladder tour, the band opened with Yours Is No Disgrace and I was on such a high on that, that I would gladly have gone home after and thought I had had value for money. But to equal that, there was that incredible feeling you get from Awaken. It’s not often I leave a theatre feeling as though I’m walking on air, but I certainly did that night. But then the Magnification tour was so great as well. And I was one of the lucky ones who got to see Gates Of Delirium played as well…and it was astonishing. No, I can’t choose between those two tours.
sound_chaser

Postby Chris2210 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:08 pm

I have very fond memories of the Open Your Eyes tour because it was the first time I ever saw the band live and it was a bit of a (very pleasant) shock that they were so dazzlingly brilliant. Without that expectation it's an experience of a different character. I would say it's a bit like walking through the alleyways of Venice and coming out into St Mark's Square for the very first time - nothing quite prepares you for it.

Once you've gained the expectation the effect is never gooing to be quite the same again. Doesn't stop you going back of course - I'd never now miss a tour in practical range and I usually try to see them twice.

The Symphonic Tour strikes me as amongst the best in more objective terms [I'm not sure if that's entirely possible]. I was absolutely blown away by the performances of In the Presence Of and And You and I in particular.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby Terry Shea » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:19 pm

Hard to judge which tour is best since most of us only get to see 1 or 2 shows per tour (at most). Open Your Eyes was awesome for me as we got front row center tickets right in front of Jon and Chris. Masterworks was also excellent and I got to meet Jon, Chris and Alan. Symphonic was good, but it probably depended on which orchestra you got to hear play with them, and since the musicians only got the music a few hours before the show, I imagine there were a lot of problems. The 35th Anniversary Tour was good, but suffered from a weak set list IMO and Alan's special effect triggered Tom-Tom's didn't work.

I hated the Talk Tour. I believe they played the whole stinking album and if that wasn't bad enough they absolutely ruined classics such as And You And I with Trevor showing the rest of the guys that he was boss, playing all the lead parts and not letting anyone else get any of the spotlight. It seemed like at that time that Trevor was the only official member of Yes and everyone else was relegated to backup musician status.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron
Terry Shea

Charter Member

Postby Ash » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:35 pm

Hi,
Symphonic was special, not least for the reimagining of Gates and Ritual,
I didn't attend the 35th Anniversary shows, too expensive, too difficult travelling if you don't drive (I don't), and I don't like arenas.
2003/Full Circle was a bit flat for me, too long and they got real tired-sounding. Open Your Eyes was a wild return and a celebration of everything Yesinness. Masterworks didn't cross the pond, but I have a recording from it (Holmdel), and that sounds great.

Nothing from the last 15 years measures up to the Relayer Tour, however glad I am that they are still around and performing.

Best wishes
ash
War Music, Peace Music, Love Music,
We move to it all..........
Ash

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:55 pm

I've been a fan since 1974, but the first time I ever got to see them live was 1998 (the second leg of the "Open Your Eyes" tour), and I have to agree with Chris2210 - NOTHING beats your first time. My (now ex) wife told me I was like a little kid, sitting on the edge of my seat with this HUGE grin pasted on my face and a HUGE glitter in my eye.... and I haven't missed a tour since. I hate to say I may have to miss this one, though. I'd REALLY like to go, but I just can't afford it.....

However, I have to say, Yes Symphonic was AMAZING. I've been ruined for Gates now... seeing it live (Relayer is my favorite Yes album and Gates my favorite tune on the album) with the orchestra backing up the band was absolutely incredible, and even though I appreciate it as it is on Relayer as well as the way I've seen it performed other times WITHOUT the orchestra, that version is still the best I've ever heard.
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby shedend » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:03 pm

My overall favourite has to go to the Symphonic tour with the orchestra doing Gates and Ritual, before that I actually like the Union tour, OK everyone was trying to out play everyone else and at Wembley where I saw it the mix and sound system didn't sound quite right but it was YES music in the Raw.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER]YES TOR [/CENTER]
[CENTER]"Yes Tor is situated two-and-a-half miles from Okehampton, Devon in England. On a clear day, from the top, you can see far away places with strange sounding names." [/CENTER]
shedend

Veteran Member

Postby yesman90125 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:20 pm

:)
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby the greenman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Tend to agree that the Symphonic Tour was great, with the orchestral version of Gates. I enjoyed the OYE tour, cos it was a long time since we'd seen them live in the UK..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby thehallway » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:19 pm

shedend wrote:...the Union tour, OK everyone was trying to out play everyone else...

Have to agree with you on that. Especially Rabin and Howe.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:19 pm

I'm torn between the 2002 and 2004 tours . . . both of those were very special to me . . . :)

During these years, I missed The Ladder tour, and Symphonic, although the DVD of Symphonic is amazing, and is darned close to actually BEING at a live show!

Although I enjoyed the other tours - Talk, OYE, Masterworks, those later shows just hit a chord with me . . . I'll go back and see if I can find my reviews of those . . .
tardistraveler

Return to Tour and Concert talk