YES July 14th KAnsas City MO The UPTOWN Theater

YES July 14th KAnsas City MO The UPTOWN Theater

Postby qman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Yes and Asia were stunning, jaw dropping good at a sold out Uptown Theater busting with adoring fans. ASIA played great and Wetton's voice was perfect. I do wish Downes had played with YES doing double duty same as Steve. Downes kicked it with ASIA but no keyboard solo. ASIA played ELP and King Crimson which blew the roof off the place (Fanfare for the Common Man and In the Court of the Crimson King). Carl Palmer did an amazing drum solo. YES did two from the DRAMA album, both were played great and very powerful. We were 6Th row, AMAZING SEATS !!! all I can say is Steve Howe is not human and John Petrucci should send him flowers everyday for ten years. Oliver Wakeman is his indeed Dad, I was smiling all the way home in the car.
Best for me:

• My son Eric was in rapture and had that first YES show religious experience and went on and on and on in the car all the way home about how great they are.
  • Oliver Wakeman on the Drama material was kick ass, he is a somewhat worthy replacement for Rick.
  • Tempus Fugit - it was smoking how they played it I enjoyed the hell out if that.
  • A surprising robust version of Roundabout was actually fun, I'm usually bored with hearing it live after all these years but with Eric up and clapping it was a blast.
  • Howe's solo was simply great, he is indeed the professor. He played the ASIA material perfect and got a little freaky doing Owner of a lonely Heart he was apeing Rabin and I loved it.
  • Astral Traveler was done very well I really liked hearing that live.
  • I met and talked to a ton of people and they had traveled from all over the country and have been following the band show to show and also many many many of people bringing there kids and it was just a great YES vibe, I loved that.
  • I wore my RELAYER Tour Tee-shirt and got dozens of complements about it, most saying "my favorite album"
  • Benoit David is full of energy that is a good thing.
Low Points for me:

• Oliver Wakeman failed to bring any majesty to And You And I, that was disappointing.
  • Benoit David is the best replacement YES could have hoped for and I thought he did a very good job sounding just like Jon but I love Jon Anderson and David Benoit is no Jon Anderson the magic was missing on some songs most notably on Heart of the Sunrise it is one of my favorite YES songs and Benoit sang it well but Anderson would always take it to a special place. If Benoit is going to stay with YES they have to record original material that he has a hand in creating and that will help hopefully bring some magic into his performance. He is way shorter than I thought LOL
Overall:
The concert scratched my itch for a live YES show. Chris looked great better than he has looked on the last several tours he also sang great, he really has a good voice. I loved sitting so close you can really see them and it makes for a great connection to the music.
Steve, Alan, and Chris were in great form and and the sound quality the entire evening was perfect. I just love the Uptown Theater in Kansas City it is a perfect concert venue.

Rock on Dude
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

Charter Member

Return to Tour and Concert talk