No Jon For 2010 Tour!



No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby twinarchers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:54 am

:( I read that young Wakeman and David are now official members and that they plan to record an album according to Mr. Squire.
I have to admit that I am dissapointed and that I always hoped that with Jon, they would come out with one more masterpiece and tour with an even bigger stage than they did for the 35th Tour.
Since I have just discovered "Magnification" and think it is fantastic, I believe they have it in them. They deserve to be massively cosmic one more time. It does not look like that will happen now. Any thoughts?

Rick
MI
USA
twinarchers

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:55 am

While I do feel that it is a shame that Jon is no longer with Yes, I say "never say never." I do feel that Mr. David and Mr. Wakeman (Oliver, of course) are great assets to the band musically. Jon has basically been out of Yes for over a year and a half now and while Jon has been/is a great gift to us musically, it seems like he didn't really have the heart to continue recording any new music with Yes. I hate to sound mean saying this, but as I said before a while back, I feel that Jon was holding the rest of the band back from making a new album. They should've recorded a new album many years ago, especially after the Yes 2002 tour. Everyone had material, but Jon wasn't interested in making new Yes music at all. At least he's still around and still singing and playing live. I think it was also a physical thing, due to his voice problems near the end of the 35th anniversary tour, his back, and his unfortunate asthma attack a year and a half ago.

I believe the new blood in Yes will give the rest of the band a good shot in the arm. Benoit is no Jon, of course, but the man can still hold his own vocally and Oliver is a wise choice, following in the footsteps of his very talented father. I believe the rest of the band wants to rock, meaning make a more rocking album than in the past. It's been hinted at before, especially by Steve and judging from his playing on these past tours, I would definitely quote him on that.

As for the whole staging thing, not to sound negative, I just don't see it happening. The band in this format, unfortunately, played to a lot of small crowds and a lot of the theaters and halls they played in were not even full, going from half-full to 3/4 of the way full. I would love to see the round stage make a comeback, but it isn't going to happen. I did love the set-up from the 35th anniversary tour. Alan's drums were a neat idea and they really came in to play during the drum section of "Ritual."

If and when Yes a new album, I'll be there to get it. It may not have Jon on it, but I feel it's still worthy of the name Yes. I'm sure it'll be safe for some of use to agree to disagree on this.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Wood, Pennsylvania

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes, I'm afraid this is no surprise. I think it is reasonable to assume that Jon wasn't showing much in the way of willingness to record new material. Much as I love Magnification and much as I think an album without Jon very likely won't be as strong as one which has his compositional input, I don't really think that's an option. An album without him is better than no album at all IMO. Similarly I don't think there's much enthusiasm, or much incentive to make his touring with the band in the forseeable future a practical alternative.

This is no ideal situation, but events and I believe Jon's actions have conspired to bring the band to this point. It's a shame, because for me personally the real Yes magic only happens when Jon and Steve [in particular] are collaborating in some form. But it's neither fair nor realistic to expect things to work out to suit my wishes.

I saw the band recently and they are putting in satisfying performances. In the final analysis what counts is how the current band members feel about playing together and how commercially viable their choices are. In that regard the fans' opinions do matter, but that's about it. I'll keep supporting them as long as what they do keeps giving me pleasure and won't if it no longer does. Same as everyone else...
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

User avatar
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: Huddersfield, Yorkshire, United Kingdom.

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby thehallway » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:11 pm

It's a shame about Jon. Rick's idea of doing "Yes weekends" instead of full-scale touring would have worked I think, but it's a matter of opinion, and Steve/Chris/Alan clearly don't agree. If Beniot and Oliver are now permament members, Jon's return seems even less likely (but not impossible).

You never know though, this album may be the next Drama.
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:16 am

While the situation for recording the next album would be related to DRAMA, I feel this new album, whatever they choose to call it, will be just as strong, if not stronger than DRAMA. Steve has reallying been rocking these past two tours, rocking like YESSONGS rocking. Alan White still gives great power to his drumming. Chris, well, what can I say about Chris other than the fact that he's the best damn bass player in the world, period! Benoit, great vocalist and does a great job at emulating Jon, even though at times, from what I could hear, also sounds a bit like a younger Dennis DeYoung, but I doubt his keyboard skills, if he even has any don't match his, or even his bandmate, Oliver, who's doingsuch a magnificent job at following in the footsteps of his pop.

As for the tour, why is it so damn short? It's only 16 shows and it's only on the eastern part of the US. I wonder if they'll mix it up like they did with the In The Present Tour and the Yes/Asia Tour. I'll be happy if they still continue to play DRAMA music, plus add something like "Into The Lens." If not, at least they finally had the chance to play that stuff after all these years. I do wonder if they have any surprises in store, maybe even "Sound Chaser?"

As much as I do miss Jon, I've given this line-up a chance and I really like what they have done so far, of course studio work is another matter. As long as the band continues, under whatever line-up, I will support them.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Wood, Pennsylvania

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby twinarchers » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:23 am

I did not know that. How is it that you guys know this? I must have missed an interview or something because Jon said he had been working on things and also working on songs with Trevor Rabin, so I dont get it? :confused:






Chris2210 wrote:I think it is reasonable to assume that Jon wasn't showing much in the way of willingness to record new material.
This is no ideal situation, but events and I believe Jon's actions have conspired to bring the band to this point. ...
twinarchers

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby twinarchers » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:30 am

I suppose not putting out an album that goes at least gold hurts the concert attendance. They need a better selling album and the older they get the harder it will be to hit the right cord with todays crowds. A gold or better album would fill the theaters better for sure.
I wonder what it will take? :confused:







topographic_drama1980 wrote:
As for the whole staging thing, not to sound negative, I just don't see it happening. The band in this format, unfortunately, played to a lot of small crowds and a lot of the theaters and halls they played in were not even full, going from half-full to 3/4 of the way full. I would love to see the round stage make a comeback, but it isn't going to happen. I did love the set-up from the 35th anniversary tour. Alan's drums were a neat idea and they really came in to play during the drum section of "Ritual."
twinarchers

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:39 am

I'm sure what it would take would be to the best album that they can make. Of course, better management and better promotion wouldn't hurt either.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Wood, Pennsylvania

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:34 pm

I'm sure there are many, many factors that led to this lineup. Jon's health has been problematic, and everyone who has followed the band over the years knows that there are a LOT of personal tensions between the bandmates. It is what it is.

Regarding the length of the tour, it's my understanding that Steve has commitments for solo shows, and with Asia, later on, so they can't tour longer, even if they wanted to. And I wouldn't be surprised if age is a factor here too - although Oliver and Benoit are younger, the others are all older than ME, and I'd be hard-pressed to keep up their touring schedule!

Let's not wear the guys out . . . ;)
tardistraveler

User avatar
 
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby thehallway » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:13 pm

...Although Rick Wakeman will always try and tell you that HE IS NOT 60! :D
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby twinarchers » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:21 pm

:) Well Tardis, your comments make me feel a bit better for some reason.

Tickets for us in Detroit are on sale and the meet and greet is 300.00. I am wondering what you all think about this and did you do it last tour and what was it like? I know for sure I want to meet Chris, Steve and Alan before they finally hang it up. I believe the price includes the ticket and the venue is only 1500 so it would be a cool evening but my buddy and I are having a tough time with the amount since Jon and Rick are missing.
I am torn because they are my musical heroes and I dont know if they are doing this because they really need the money or what? We may end up just buying tickets.
They may tour again later like they did this last time around.
More Drama in the [:yes] saga




tardistraveler wrote:I'm sure there are many, many factors that led to this lineup. Jon's health has been problematic, and everyone who has followed the band over the years knows that there are a LOT of personal tensions between the bandmates. It is what it is.

Regarding the length of the tour, it's my understanding that Steve has commitments for solo shows, and with Asia, later on, so they can't tour longer, even if they wanted to. And I wouldn't be surprised if age is a factor here too - although Oliver and Benoit are younger, the others are all older than ME, and I'd be hard-pressed to keep up their touring schedule!

Let's not wear the guys out . . . ;)
twinarchers

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:59 pm

twinarchers wrote: :) Well Tardis, your comments make me feel a bit better for some reason.

Tickets for us in Detroit are on sale and the meet and greet is 300.00. I am wondering what you all think about this and did you do it last tour and what was it like? I know for sure I want to meet Chris, Steve and Alan before they finally hang it up. I believe the price includes the ticket and the venue is only 1500 so it would be a cool evening but my buddy and I are having a tough time with the amount since Jon and Rick are missing.
I am torn because they are my musical heroes and I dont know if they are doing this because they really need the money or what? We may end up just buying tickets.
They may tour again later like they did this last time around.
More Drama in the [:yes] saga


I've never paid the extra money for the backstage privilege.

If I happen to meet any of the band members through serendipity, then great. But I've never felt moved to pay extra just to meet them with one lone exception - I did buy the t-shirt at one of Jon's solo tours with the caveat he'd be signing them after the show. It was worth the $20 to meet Jon and say thanks for the music, plus, I met a couple of very cool Yesfans while waiting the 2 hours in line! LOL

If it had been $300 - even ticket included - I would have had to pass.

I have met some of the band members though, just by frequenting the hotels they were staying at - it's not a guarantee, but I got Steve's autograph the morning after the Tormato show that way, and have had minor sightings/run-ins with Jon, Patrick, Chris, Steve, Alan. And I got to meet Rick after a small show at the Nashville Film Festival - it wasn't publicized well, and he gave autographs/posed for pics afterwards for a group of 100 or so. And he didn't charge anything extra for it.

It's really up to you. If you feel strongly about meeting these guys, and have the money, I won't tell you not to do it. But it's fun to just have the random encounter as well - sometimes those make better stories . . . ;)
tardistraveler

User avatar
 
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby thesage » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:15 am

I think that the various quotes attributed to Chris, Steve & Alan tends to suggest that Jon somewhat burnt his own bridges- Steve has been the most direct basically saying Jon was trying to dictate terms as to whether and when he wanted to tour with Yes- and that health problems aside it was difficult to accept that he said he wouldn't tour then goes out with Rick and or solo- was this was clearly a case of another straw? I do find Rick's recent comments about the current Yes being a tribute band disappointing- after all it was he who said in the Yesyears music doco that he suspects that there will be a Yes long after he has gone- well he may be right but that requires new players and a new singer to take over- Yes can and does exist without Jon & Rick- they proved it with Drama- which IMHO is better than any Yeswest or post 1996 Yes album and Im sure they will prove it again with David and Wakeman Jnr
thesage

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 2:19 pm
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby thehallway » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:16 pm

I agree that David and Wakeman Jr are capable of delivering a fantastic album alongside the power trio. Those two seem willing to do whatever, eliminating the reduction of musical quality; thru people saying "oh I'm not doing long/short songs or I'm not playing in this style and all that".

But Jon and Rick's influence and styles (assuming they don't return) will be dearly missed.
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Need to get back to original Yessongs members for short specialized tours, like on a cruise ship or vacation resort
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:00 pm
Location: California, on the Edge of the Continent

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby EricBliss12345 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 pm

tardistraveler wrote:I've never paid the extra money for the backstage privilege.

If I happen to meet any of the band members through serendipity, then great. But I've never felt moved to pay extra just to meet them with one lone exception - I did buy the t-shirt at one of Jon's solo tours with the caveat he'd be signing them after the show. It was worth the $20 to meet Jon and say thanks for the music, plus, I met a couple of very cool Yesfans while waiting the 2 hours in line! LOL

If it had been $300 - even ticket included - I would have had to pass.

I have met some of the band members though, just by frequenting the hotels they were staying at - it's not a guarantee, but I got Steve's autograph the morning after the Tormato show that way, and have had minor sightings/run-ins with Jon, Patrick, Chris, Steve, Alan. And I got to meet Rick after a small show at the Nashville Film Festival - it wasn't publicized well, and he gave autographs/posed for pics afterwards for a group of 100 or so. And he didn't charge anything extra for it.

It's really up to you. If you feel strongly about meeting these guys, and have the money, I won't tell you not to do it. But it's fun to just have the random encounter as well - sometimes those make better stories . . . ;)


I dunno, I'd never pay extra to meet a band. When I met Rick Wakeman, it was for free after his solo show. He signed my stuff, took a picture, and KEPT....FUCKING....TALKING! He was so amiable and likable, to the point where it was actually making me a little nervous! Then he noticed my Flower Kings shirt and talked up a storm on how good they were and it was like chatting with an old buddy. One of the most awesome things ever. You can't put a price tag on it. Ironically enough paying for it will cheapen it.
EricBliss12345

Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2507
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Castle, PA

Re: No Jon For 2010 Tour!

Postby thehallway » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Think I agree with you there! People shouldn't pay for these moments, they're spontaneous and special.
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK


Return to Tour and Concert talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

cron