Triumph In Poughkeepsie

Triumph In Poughkeepsie

Postby coalescestudionyc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:10 am

Wow...what a way to start a tour.

The Mid-Hudson Civic Center was nearly or completely sold out (about 3,000), the crowd was incredibly enthusiastic and responsive, and the music was just something else. The band was in mid-season form. Everyone shone tonight. Steve was on fire almost the entire night, especially during Yours Is No Disgrace. Chris made the building shake during Heart Of The Sunrise. Alan did the same during Astral Traveller. Oliver masterfully traded solos with Steve during South Side Of The Sky. I thought Benoit was far, far more comfortable this time around then when I last saw them in November 2008. No teleprompters, no fumpferring of lyrics, just a clear, smooth and assured performance. The only noticeable flub was the band started the vocal cue too soon for Owner Of A Lonely Heart (that and two women dancing in front of the stage that were a few sandwiches short of svelte.) This show had no intermission and there wasn't time for me to catch my breath. They hurtled from one song to another. Tempus Fugit and Machine Messiah sounded better this time around than 2008. If the band continues with this energy and hopefully resulting creativity, then the next Yes album is going to be a killer.

Guys, as always, this was an amazing show. No pictures this time, I'm afraid. Although I was in the second row just in front of Oliver, my digital camera gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago and my LG El Cheapo 5000 cell phone took some rather regrettable photos. They look more like glow-in-the-dark Rorschach tests than anything else. Hopefully someone else will post some shots.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Re: Triumph In Poughkeepsie

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks for the review - glad you enjoyed the show!

Anyone else see this? Or have any photos?
tardistraveler

Postby happytheman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:35 pm

I just posted an observation on "another site". Was there any of what I'm hearing at your show?? This is a boot from NH show that I'm listening to even as we speak and there seems to be a pretty severe "pacing" issue.
I saw them last summer and they were on fire, early in this show....not a shining example.
And Benoit....he was "spot on" when I last saw him, here he is ....less than stellar.
I just don't think he has full ownership of the songs or music. Which is a shame, hopefully as I listen to more of the show he will "get better". I thought when I had heard him the previous year (Nov 08) it was normal for me to give him a "pass" since he was still learning the words / phrasings etc. But he has been in the band for 1 1/2 years, singing night after night.
My hopes is that when they do get into the studio he can find "Benoit's" voice not a make believe "Jon Anderson" voice for the new material.
I hate to be so hard on the guy but I guess I just expect more from a professional musician.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby coalescestudionyc » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Honestly, I noticed nothing egregious, save for the Owner Of A Lonely Heart mishap. Insofar as David's voice, it's hard for me to say. Being in the second row on the very right, I was sitting about six feet from Chris's amp and the vocals didn't sound as clear to me as it would've had I sat more in the center. I really wish he would drop the faux-musical theater hand gestures and movements. In my opinion, it's out of character for the music.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby beelzeboob » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Please check my comments in the chat room regarding last night's show in Chicago. I probably should have posted them here.
beelzeboob

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:05 pm

beelzeboob wrote:Please check my comments in the chat room regarding last night's show in Chicago. I probably should have posted them here.

Don't think comments in chat are saved from day to day - I just went there and it was empty. Care to post more here about Chicago?
tardistraveler

Return to Tour and Concert talk