"Re-creating Tour"

"Re-creating Tour"

Postby SteveHoweFan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Yes with Peter Frampton this summer - the ad said they were "recreating" the tour they did back in 1976. I have searched and can find no explanation for this....I did get tickets to the Philly show, but since it's the first in that line up I won't know before hand what they're doing. I'm wondering if Yes really intends to recreate that tour wiht that set list? I can only dream that could be true......Anybody have any info on this?
SteveHoweFan

Re: "Re-creating Tour"

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 pm

Well, looking on http://www.forgottenyesterdays.com at the Solos Tour (1976), it appears that Yes DID do a few dates with Peter Frampton opening, so I'm guessing that's what they're going to "recreate". I'd be REAL surprised if they did the same setlist that they did in 1976.
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 pm

Yeah 'cos wasn't that the solo album tour? So they would have played random solo tracks, not something whihc is really appropiate now.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby coalescestudionyc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:11 am

I think it will be recreated in spirit only. To do a full re-creation, they'll have to bring back Jon Anderson, Patrick Moraz and Peter Frampton's hair.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Watch out for the virus/malware warnings that pop up when browsing certain bits of Forgotten Yesterdays. I was warned that it scanned my Home/C: D: and E: drives [in spite of the fact I clicked cancel and tried to close the window]. It detected a large number of Windows security issues with my system. Which was quite surprising. I use a Mac.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:52 pm

I've had my virus software here at work close Internet Explorer while browsing Forgotten Yesterdays, although it didn't do it THIS time. Sounds like they've got some problems there.
tardistraveler

Postby happytheman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 pm

I saw the 76 tour and yeah, they would need Moraz and Anderson to do it justice. The stage setup was very cool with the "bug" or whatever it was behind Alan that had wings flapping . And of course the light show was amazing.
I'd be happy if they simply re-vamped the set list to include "new" material! Hey what a concept....... and include To Be Over just for old times sake!
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Peter Frampton is the guy that uses that tube-like thing on his guitar right? -gives it a sort of aquatic wah-wah tone. Joe Walsh uses that too, and Pink Floyd occassionally. But was it Frampton who invented it?
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby happytheman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:06 pm

thehallway wrote:Peter Frampton is the guy that uses that tube-like thing on his guitar right? -gives it a sort of aquatic wah-wah tone. Joe Walsh uses that too, and Pink Floyd occassionally. But was it Frampton who invented it?

Are you referring to a "speak box?" Lot's of folks have used that over the years but Frampton did it quite well, as did Jeff Beck.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:39 pm

happytheman wrote:Are you referring to a "speak box?" Lot's of folks have used that over the years but Frampton did it quite well, as did Jeff Beck.

I think you mean 'talk-box', though more or less it means the same thing.
Read all about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby happytheman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:24 pm

guilddigger wrote:I think you mean 'talk-box', though more or less it means the same thing.
Read all about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box

OOPS your right.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby thehallway » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:00 pm

Oh yeah thats the thing, such a cool device!

And Frampton's is the picture in that wiki article. He seems to be the most associated with it.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:54 pm

It seemed far more commonly in use in the 70s - Focus used it [if I'm not mistaken] wonderfully on the eponymous Mother Focus - probably Ackerman, but I've also seen Van Leer use a similar tube-device live, so you never know.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Someone mentioned Jeff Beck above - he used it on "Blow By Blow" on the tune "She's A Woman".
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby style0 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:45 pm

thehallway wrote:Peter Frampton is the guy that uses that tube-like thing on his guitar right? -gives it a sort of aquatic wah-wah tone. Joe Walsh uses that too, and Pink Floyd occassionally. But was it Frampton who invented it?

It was some old Steel player that invented it. Can't think of his name, but that's what I was always led to believe.
Ben Franklin discovered it, but it took Bob Moog to find it's proper use.
style0

Postby qman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Didn't they call it a Voice Vox back in the 70's. ??
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi, QMan!

Good to see you out here!

I did a little searching on this question, and found this tidbit on Wikipedia.

"While playing with Humble Pie, Frampton also did session recording with other artists, including: Harry Nilsson, Jim Price, Jerry Lee Lewis, as well as George Harrison's solo All Things Must Pass, in 1970, and John Entwistle's Whistle Rymes, in 1972.[5] During the Harrison session he was introduced to the 'talk box' that has become his trademark guitar sound.[10][11][12]"

And here's the link to the "talk box" - it even has a picture of the one Frampton used!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_box
tardistraveler

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:02 am

Yeah, I remember when PF did his guitar thing. Amongst my friends and school buddies it was so huge it overlapped anything YES had to offer at the time. Amazing how a simple thing like that caught everyone's attention to such an extreme.
After listening to PF's last CD I really don't have much more to say about the guy.
BUT MY FREAKING GOODNESS, YES IS PLAYING IT'S FIRST SUMMER DATE TONIGHT AS I'M WRITING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YEEEEEEEEEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait to see them tomorrow in Tampa! God damn it, I'm going out of my mind just thinking about it!!!!!!
And if it turns out they're playing the same setlist they did in 1976, or anywhere near it, I'm afraid an ambualnce will have to be called to take me home after the show.
But whatever YES does I'll always be there for them in the same way they've always been there for me, "and breathe hope and chase and love for you and you and you"!
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 pm

YES IS PLAYING TONIGHT IN TAMPA. OH, MY GOD, THE SETLIST, THE SETLIST, THE SETLIST IS AWESOME. IT'S OUT OF THIS WORLD. OH, MY FREAKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!
OH, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T WAIT, I CAN'T.... Ooops. I just came all over myself.
Oh, well, I'm sure it's going to be just as good tonight.....
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:46 pm

Tell us how you REALLY feel about it! LOL

Come back tomorrow and post a review! :)
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:19 pm

^ Now that's what I call a fan!
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Philistine must be sleeping in today . . . ;)

Waiting for that review! I'm curious to hear if the show lived up to your expectations!
tardistraveler

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Lol, yes I was sleeping... In a Rest Area between Tampa and Orlando. I'm finally home, and all I can say is that it's clear to me music has a healing power. Never mind how it heals me, what's amazing it's how it heals the folks playing the music.
For the life of me, I can't see a difference between SH, CS and AW now from how they played back in the 70's. It's not only the energy level that got my attention but how faithful they were to the original pieces: No short cuts were taken.
Although I have to say that the Yessongs version of PC still drives me out of mind like no other version I've ever heard.
But, goodness, CTTE... wow. Steve Howe got a hold of that song and didn't let go of it for a second. I was having so much fun, and jumping and shaking my head, and getting my whole body involved the guy next to me asked me if I was OK.
For crying out loud, of course I'm OK. Please people if you see someone enjoy themselves don't interrupt them just to see if they're OK, even if it looks as if they're having a seizure!
And a seizure I had with every song they played.
YES' power, spirit, energy and commitment went well beyond my expections and, for that, I thank you kindly.
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:40 am

PhilistineTheArtLover wrote:Lol, yes I was sleeping... In a Rest Area between Tampa and Orlando. I'm finally home, and all I can say is that it's clear to me music has a healing power. Never mind how it heals me, what's amazing it's how it heals the folks playing the music.
For the life of me, I can't see a difference between SH, CS and AW now from how they played back in the 70's. It's not only the energy level that got my attention but how faithful they were to the original pieces: No short cuts were taken.
Although I have to say that the Yessongs version of PC still drives me out of mind like no other version I've ever heard.
But, goodness, CTTE... wow. Steve Howe got a hold of that song and didn't let go of it for a second. I was having so much fun, and jumping and shaking my head, and getting my whole body involved the guy next to me asked me if I was OK.
For crying out loud, of course I'm OK. Please people if you see someone enjoy themselves don't interrupt them just to see if they're OK, even if it looks as if they're having a seizure!
And a seizure I had with every song they played.
YES' power, spirit, energy and commitment went well beyond my expections and, for that, I thank you kindly.

Sooo, what was the highlight for you?
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:43 am

PhilistineTheArtLover wrote:Sooo, what was the highlight for you?

Well, like I said CTTE but just about every song. Whatever they played I was either playing air guitar or, something I haven't heard mentioned before, air keyboard!
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 am

PhilistineTheArtLover wrote:Well, like I said CTTE but just about every song. Whatever they played I was either playing air guitar or, something I haven't heard mentioned before, air keyboard!

For me it was AYAI, especially the beginning of it when SH did it exactly as the studio version and he was looking at the audience with the biggest smile. Oh, my, that was awesome!
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:49 am

PhilistineTheArtLover wrote:For me it was AYAI, especially the beginning of it when SH did it exactly as the studio version and he was looking at the audience with the biggest smile. Oh, my, that was awesome!

Yeah, yeah, that was awesome, indeed. The entire piece. When listening to it I remember how Jon Anderson introduced the song at this concert in KY, and he went something like this, "The next song, oh, the next song, is my all time favorite YES song. And I'll never forget how when we came up with it we smoked a joint about this big!" JA held his hands about a foot apart and everyone in the audience had the biggest laugh!!
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:50 am

PhilistineTheArtLover wrote:Yeah, yeah, that was awesome, indeed. The entire piece. When listening to it I remember how Jon Anderson introduced the song at this concert in KY, and he went something like this, "The next song, oh, the next song, is my all time favorite YES song. And I'll never forget how when we came up with it we smoked a joint about this big!" JA held his hands about a foot apart and everyone in the audience had the biggest laugh!!

Hah! Great stuff! Did you have one of those before last night's show?
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:54 am

PhilistineTheArtLover wrote:Hah! Great stuff! Did you have one of those before last night's show?

Yeah, baby! Never been to a YES concert without my American Express card, so to speak!
PhilistineTheArtLover

Postby PhilistineTheArtLover » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 am

PhilistineTheArtLover wrote:Yeah, baby! Never been to a YES concert without my American Express card, so to speak!

LOL! You silly, you! But I tell you, as much as I loved the show last night there was one thing I really missed.... And that was Jon Anderson. (Sigh!)
PhilistineTheArtLover

Next

Return to Tour and Concert talk