Rick and the Inflatable Dinosaurs

Rick and the Inflatable Dinosaurs

Postby coalescestudionyc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:33 pm

I was listening to Rick's "Grumpy Old Rockstar" audiobook and he was talking about the 1974 Journey To The Center Of The Earth tour and he told a great story of the giant inflatable flatulent dinosaurs. These are not the same dinosaurs that Rick was talking about, as these are two different types, but still, it gives you a great idea of what they must've been like.

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/crystal-1974.html

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Re: Rick and the Inflatable Dinosaurs

Postby thehallway » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:18 pm

Very nice!

You can't beat a flying pig though...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 pm

Cool link! Thanks, Michael . . . :)

I saw the tour in 1974 in Memphis - think Gary Wright opened. I don't really remember any inflatable monsters, but they may have been there . . . the performance was indoors, in a Symphony Hall, so there may not have been room for them . . .
tardistraveler

Postby sunhugger » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:31 pm

I attended the show in Pittsburgh at the Civic Arena. The dinosaurs were there. Also, 'flappers' doing the Charleston, narrator, orchestra, Rick, and the band. Good show. Down in front of the stage was an
enormous folded horn sub-woofer - part of the sound reinforcement system. The 'flappers' did the Charleston in the dark, with strobe lights on them.
sunhugger

Postby thehallway » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:55 pm

sunhugger wrote:I attended the show in Pittsburgh at the Civic Arena. The dinosaurs were there. Also, 'flappers' doing the Charleston, narrator, orchestra, Rick, and the band. Good show. Down in front of the stage was an
enormous folded horn sub-woofer - part of the sound reinforcement system. The 'flappers' did the Charleston in the dark, with strobe lights on them.

Is the Charleston part of the Journey...' story?

I'm not familiar with the album itself but I can't think of a way of connecting dinosaurs with 20th century dances...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby sunhugger » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:01 pm

I don't know that there was any connection to the story line, maybe just to
a portion of the composition. The effect of the dancing in the dark with the strobe lights on was
that to the audience, it apeared segmented - like an early black and white film clip.
The dinosaurs were behind the stage. At the center of the earth, there are monsters, I am sure.
sunhugger

Return to Tour and Concert talk