The resurgence of Steve Howe

The resurgence of Steve Howe

Postby psychopomp95 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:08 am

(Hi all, it's been a while!)

I've been on a bit of a Yes kick these last few days... started with digging out a Trevor Rabin live album to burn for a co-worker, actually, but then I pulled out a YesWest compilation, and it's gone from there... I've been flipping through various things on YouTube, and something I've noticed is that, in the last five years, Steve Howe might be playing better than he EVER has. Part of it seems to be that he has a really good tone again; I recall a common complaint among fellow guitarists on this board was that, from the time he rejoined until 2004 or so, his guitar sound was far TOO clean, even when it shouldn't have been. Whatever the reason for his tone change (perhaps he ditched Zoom effects pedals!), it seems to coincide with a renewed energy in his playing. He RIPS it up now (think "South Side of the Sky" at the very end), whereas there were times back in the late 90's/early 00's where I wasn't sure if he still had it in him.

Oddly enough, the example I'll throw out there isn't one of his songs: "Owner of a Lonely Heart", live this past tour (see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke-cIVpS7cw&feature=related ). He completely makes the song his own, even putting his own cool spin on the infamous solo in the middle, and it kicks ass!! He's not 'trying' to sound like Trevor Rabin (which would be silly), but I also get the sense he's put much more effort into the song than he did when he first rejoined the band, when oftentimes he sounded completely bored/annoyed with the song - VERY uncomfortable to listen to it in that situation!

This is just one example, but I could list plenty others. I know I've been critical of Steve in the past, but I still think he's a one-of-a-kind guitarist who you can spot in less than two seconds when he's 'on'. If Yes is going to move on without Jon and Rick, he's truly the sonic 'keeper of the flame' for Classic Yes now, so it's good that his playing is back to the level he's truly capable of!
psychopomp95

Starship Trooper

Re: The resurgence of Steve Howe

Postby thehallway » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:55 pm

We were discussing this only weeks ago, at the end of some unrelated thread in a dusty corner of this site somewhere!

Howe is better than ever and is taking advantage of his new-found energy. If the same could be said for other Yessers, we would have a killer era on our hands.... That 'Owner' clip just sums it up; it's not even his song and he steals it. Simu-tackling both Asia and Yes is no easy task and right now there is no guitarist in existence better for the job. I hope it lasts for sure.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Agreed - Howe was the saving grace of the show we saw in 2008. He was absolutely killer!

Whatever he's found, I wish he'd share it with the rest of us! lol
tardistraveler

Postby psychopomp95 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:28 am

Forgot to mention it before, but Howe has always struck me as a 'working man's musician', ie. he does BETTER the more he plays! This applies to almost any skill, of course, but Howe seems to genuinely want to get out there and play as much as possible, and I really admire that, being someone who doesn't quite have the same tenacity (or desire) to play whenever the opportunity is there.
In sum, this is probably why he can handle Yes, Asia, and solo gigs, and he seems to be flourishing with it. Kudos to Steve!
psychopomp95

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Yep, he seems to be happy when he plays - it's definitely his focus in life, I'd say.
tardistraveler

Return to Tour and Concert talk