UK/Europe Tour 2014

UK/Europe Tour 2014

Postby Ash » Fri May 09, 2014 3:47 pm

I posted this review of the show at Leicester's DeMontfort Hall given Tuesday May 6, 2014 elsewhere. As I used to post here, and hadn't realised until the other day that Yestalk was back and breathing, I thought you might like to read it, or perhaps not.......

Good afternoon everyone,

Tuesday night's concert was my 28th Yes concert since my first in 1973, at this same venue.
I had not imagined nor dared to hope that they still had what it takes to deliver music of such potency after so long. I don't think they've played with that much controlled ferocity, energy and grace since the 1970s. Quite awesome. The core of the planet was humming beneath my feet!
I have felt over the last 15 years or so that there were signs that the band was beginning to wind down, the years were taking their toll, and occasionally the performances were becoming a little perfunctory, and I was certainly reading comments from all over about slow tempi and missed cues at various shows across the globe.

Not so on this tour, if the show at DeMontfort Hall is at all representative. Maybe the new, young, singer has had something to do with their revitalisation; his voice is an extraordinary instrument: top notes as rich and ringing as the lower, no strain, perfect intonation, genuinely a member of the band, happy to be there, and the others happy to have him.

All of the reviews I've seen have commented in a similar vein about how they seem rejuvenated. I haven't heard them burn like this since the 70s! Possibly not having Wakeman along also helped. He did tend to over-embellish too often, and stretch things out. Geoff Downes, just as able and proficient, knows when to shut up. Consequently, they are tight, concise, nimble and, at times, frighteningly potent, and can turn and swing effortlessly. Tempos are up too, and the music has room to move and breathe.
Sublime!

I would go further, and this would count as heresy for many Yesfans: they have become a better band without Jon Anderson. Sometimes a team has to ditch a star player to become a more cohesive unit, and move on. I'm optimistic now that they can still create music to stand alongside their best, past, work.
"age shall not wither them, nor stale their infinite variety", to paraphrase Shakespeare!

I expect to receive brickbats for saying so, although I suspect many will have thought it. It's slightly ironic that Jon Anderson has perhaps become a victim of the 'revolving door' policy he instigated at the band's beginning; if people have to be shed to make the band stronger, in order to progress, or survive, then his happens. That was what happened when Steve Howe came in for the third album, a make-or-break effort since Atlantic were going to drop them if it wasn't a success (thankfully, The Yes Album was a success, artistically and commercially). And likewise when Tony Kaye was dismissed in preference for Wakeman. Anderson used to get accused of 'lead-singer's' disease, of being rather dictatorial and stubborn in what he wanted the band to be. While it's all working it's fine; when it starts to get in the way, things have to change. Anyway, he's 70 this year, and healthwise he isn't up to performing and touring with a band. He's admitted as much. As with most things, I think he's fairly philosophical about how things have turned out.

Before the show, I arrived at the venue around 4.00, Steve wandered out onto the little veranda at the back of the hall to enjoy a cuppa and a roll-up in the spring sunshine. He seemed more relaxed and at ease with life than I've seen him in many a year. And given how he, and the whole band are playing, this seems very much to be the case.
A Joyous evening of Yesmusic. Can't wait for Heaven and Earth. I caught a glimpse of the former and heard the hum of the latter on Tuesday night!

All good wishes,
Ash
Ash

Re: UK/Europe Tour 2014

Postby Ed Schaum » Fri May 09, 2014 11:52 pm

Very nice, Ash, glad you posted that. I'll be seeing them soon on the latest tour, now I'm really looking forward to it.

Ed
Ed Schaum

Postby Ash » Mon May 12, 2014 12:20 pm

A review of the Leicester show from the local rag. At least it looks like they sent someone who knew something about them

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Revie ... story.html

Best Wishes,
Ash
Ash

Postby carlmarx38 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:17 pm

nice review. i hope the U.S. Tour is as successful as the current UK tour. BTW, did they ever videotape any of the shows for DVD ?
someone at Yesfans suggested that the show that was going to be filmed wasn't filmed.

P.S. thanks for mentioning this site over there.
carlmarx38

Postby Ash » Mon May 12, 2014 4:30 pm

I'd heard it was the Bristol show that was being filmed last night, the last show on the UK leg of the tour?
I know no more than that at the moment. Bit tricky to spend too much time on the net at work.......and it's a rubbish day here!

I really, really, really do not like Mondays.
Ash

Postby Chris1960 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:55 pm

I saw them in Sheffield on Wednesday [7/5/14]. I knew what the running order was going to be and I knew [hardly takes psychic ability] what the encore would be.

It was quite a different experience to hear each of the albums played in sequence [although individually - they aren't of course played chronologically]. Hearing And You and I I found myself thinking, 'they are not going to be able to match that this evening'. It's surprising how you forget what amazing music these albums contain and how hearing them live makes you appreciate that anew.

Davidson is not quite as much an Anderson soundalike as David appeared to be, but much as I enjoyed the Bênoit performance I heard, JD seemed somehow to feel the music more and somehow by being more individual managed to engage with the spirit of the originals to a greater extent. One minor disappointment for me was Parallels - which I've never heard live before. I think Steve didn't evoke the necessary intensity to those runs and the whole thing lacked the precision which is the key to the greatness of the track - a real experiment in tempo. That is perhaps a bit unfair - it may well be impossible to achieve that effect live and it was a very minor blip of what was on the whole a very rewarding night of some of my favourite music.

The time did absolutely whizz by - perhaps aided by the fact that I also kept myself very busy taking a massive number of photographs.

There's a good selection of those on my Flickr stream [url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/28829764@N02/sets/72157644581406432/[url]here.
Chris1960

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:14 pm

I've seen them twice now with JD - last year when they played CTTE, TYA, and GFTO, and this summer with a smattering of new music. I wasn't disappointed with JD - he does seem to really feel the music and makes it his own. The new songs translated well live, I thought, and were well-received by the audience.

I do miss Jon Anderson's presence, though. Guess I've just seen them SO many times WITH him, that it's just a different feel to the thing when he's there. I realize his health probably isn't up to the kind of touring that the others seem to want to do. I do wish that the relationships could heal to the point that they could do something with him again, but I'm not holding my breath.

But regarding the recent tours, it was fun to hear the music performed live again, and I did enjoy that a lot . . . :)
tardistraveler

Return to Tour and Concert talk