What now?

What now?

Postby Yessong » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:08 pm

With Chris gone do we think the current tour might've just turned into a farewell tour?
Yessong

Charter Member

Re: What now?

Postby guilddigger » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:16 pm

Instinctly I feel there should be no more Yes.
Other members being replaced worked out in the end,
and the changes was somehow accepted, but nobody can fill Chris' shoes.
ABWH was not the same without Chris no matter how good Levin or Berlin are.
Now more than ever it is clear how integral part of the Yessound Chris'
distinctive harmony voice and bass style really was.
Now that's gone forever.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris Younger » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:08 pm

It would be nice to see past and current members do a Yes weekend or something and then retire the brand.
The member formerly known as "Yesman90125"
Chris Younger

Postby Yessong » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:17 pm

I remember an interview with Jon back in the eighties. He was being asked about all the members that have come and gone. Jon's view, at that time, was that Yes music is bigger than the people who play it and he could envision a time where all the members are "new" members. Still creating Yes music for a new age.

I wonder if he still envisions that future for a band called, "Yes".
Yessong

Charter Member

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Other musicians and artists have passed throughout my lifetime - GREAT musicians and artists whose works and compositions have touched me deeply - but none of these tragedies have affected me as Chris Squire's passing did. It hit me hard. When I first heard on Sunday, 28 June, I choked up. It took me a few minutes before I was able to speak. Although I have met the man on several occasions, I didn't know him outside of his art, but that doesn't matter - there was, and is, a huge sense of loss in me.

Yes music has been a part of my life - a LARGE part - since 1974. It's helped me through tough times; it's helped me celebrate good times; it's filled my heart and mind with feeling and emotions like no other art I've ever experienced. No matter the genre of music that I've been into at any specific time - classical, jazz, show tunes, theatrical, blues, funk, regular rock and roll, genre defying music - Yes music has been part of my playlist. I can't think of ANY time in my life since my ears, heart and mind were opened on that autumn afternoon in 1974 that Yes has been relegated to the shelf reserved for those bands that have become passé to me.

I didn't like YesWest, but the folks here at YEStalk helped me see, hear and appreciate the merits of that phase of the band. The revolving door reserved for some members (Wakey) didn't phase me. The ever changing membership - didn't matter. I have become, as we were affectionately referred to here on the forum, a YesWhole. I appreciate and enjoy it all.

Then Jon was out and Benoit David was in. Yeah, I went to see them anyway, and enjoyed it immensely. Then Benoit David was out and Jon Davison was in. Yeah, I went to see them anyway, and enjoyed it immensely.

Now, Chris has passed, and with him a part of my life has passed as well. There'll never be a chance to see him on a stage again. There'll never be another new song or any new bass riffs from him.

All that being said, I hope Yes DOES continue on. I agree with Jon Anderson - Yes music IS much larger than the band. I would hate to see them become a "nostalgia act", but if the creativity can continue, then I'd like to see that.
Tomfoolery

Postby Jedi Catt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:26 pm

I can really understand why some feel that Yes should call it a day after Chris's passing. I will ALWAYS think of him as the best rock bassist EVER!! But another part of me still wants to see them carry on. There were people who thought Queen should split after Freddie's passing; but glad they didn't. Maybe Yes can pull it off too; and I mean that with the greatest respect for Chris. To me personally, it depends on who they replace Chris with. (sorry if that sounds cold, I miss Chris too) They surely wouldn't use a session player; it would have to be someone that already has earned respect among the Progsters like me, and Billy is best qualified for the job. I know they'll do well with Billy there; I just wonder who else could do it if Billy doesn't join full time.
Jedi Catt

Postby moodyblue » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:53 pm

What has clinched it for me is Chris's words regarding the band and that they should carry on.

When Chris left us, For me Yes were finished as for me, Chris not being in the band left too big a hole in the sound but I have yet to hear Billy Sherwood and his playing but by all accounts, he is a pretty good bass player that is in the Squire mold.

The band seem to have made it clear that they will carry on for the time being and I guess why not.

Trouble is from an audience point of view, I am always going to feel something is missing.
moodyblue

Veteran Member

Postby Yessong » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:52 pm

I watched a video from the current tour. I have always like what Billy brings to Yes and the assorted projects he has been a part of and love that Chris asked him to carry the band forward in his spot. What I can't get past is Chris's vocals not be a part of the mix. I hadn't realized what a HUGE part of the Yes sound he was. Listening to all the eras...even 90125, Chris' voice fills out the sound in a very unique way.

So many backing vocals are generic. If you have a good harmonizing vocalist you're done but Chris's voice was so unique, it added an element that is indescribable and it sorely missed. I'd like to see the band carry on but getting used to the new sound is a challenge for me.
Yessong

Charter Member

Return to Tour and Concert talk