The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, or Fragile...?

The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, or Fragile...?

Postby Vaguson » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:12 am

So which is the best of the three?

The Yes Album
Close to the Edge
Fragile

Give specific song examples to support your vote--dissect the albums; it's more interesting that way and it doesn't turn into mindless one sentence voting

If you feel its too close, then let's change the candidates...

<hr>In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.
Vaguson

Veteran Member

Postby stevehoweistheMAN » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:42 am

The obvious choice is CTTE; I can say that with my head and my heart.

It's probably the biggest showcase for their collective talents up to the point of its release (and still might be, well... maybe not). It has two INCREDIBLY emotional songs (CTTE and AYAI) and a great rocker for concert openers. It wasn't marred by any sub-par solo efforts, and although I love TYA for it's energy, CTTE has the superior lineup and more mature writing and arrangements. Fragile got me hooked on Yes, but the climax of CTTE (the song) was what brought me to tears and affirmed my life-long pact as a follower of them.

<hr>And if that firelight, I could match the inner flame; sacred ships do sail the seventh age, and have always been here.
stevehoweistheMAN

Charter Member

Postby The Ancient » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:20 pm

1. CTTE - I think this album defines prog for me and sealed my fate as an incurable lifeliong Yes fan. It may be Yes' best single LP ever and belongs in the same league with Dark Side of The Moon, Led Zeppelin I, Court of the Crimson King, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Jimi Hendrix Smash Hits, Neil Young Harvest, etc. Bill Bruford's stick work on CTTE is sheer mastery.

2. TYA - I never get tired of those Steve Howe overtacks. TYA is great album rock. TYA is the disc I recommend to new Yes fans and to anyone needing to go back to the basics for a pure Yes fix.

3. Fragile - Overrated. There are some good songs on there, but the ablum as a whole does not seem to work for me. All of the good songs on Fragile seem to go over better live. Roundabout always sounded good on the radio as well.
The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby yerweb » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:35 pm

I have to say FRAGILE! South Side of the Sky, Roundabout, Heart of the Sunrise, Long Distance Runaround, Fish and all the filler tracks make it a pleasant diverse album.

The Yes Album is next with its more rocking tracks plus Clap...and All Good People is such a classic! Practically their number one song along with Roundabout and Starship Trooper.

Close to the Edge...I'm sorry but I get only 3 songs my favourite is Siberian Khatru...I have both the original and Yessongs versions and it just doesn't stand up to the other two albums in my book. Its very good but not as good as the other two.
yerweb

Postby Yogi_Bear » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:59 am

close to the edge without a doubt man!
really trippy and really insane, the way i like it.

<hr>Be like the Trees that bend when the wind blows
Be like the stone in the river...
The universe and you are one
Yogi_Bear

Veteran Member

Postby Astral traveller » Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:15 am

<font color=black>Another vote here for CTTE.

It's the ultimate Yes experience for me. 3 of the best pieces they ever recorded. Although I agree that for new fans or people who wanna try some Yes, The Yes Album is the obvious introduction. It has a more 'light' approach than any of their albums. Easy to get into.
Sure, the other 2 albums have songs that are equally as good (but not better, IMO), masterpieces like HOTS, YIND, South side, ST, but its the songs in between them that makes both albums less good overall. (the solo-pieces and 'A Venture').

</font id=black>
Astral traveller

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:14 pm

four words..... Close To The Edge

because of four words... Close To The Edge

<hr>WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION, COME ON IN AND SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING, PAY THE PRICE GET YOUR TICKETS FOR THE SHOW...
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby stevehoweistheMAN » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:48 am

i love a venture, astral!!
stevehoweistheMAN

Charter Member

Postby Astral traveller » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:08 pm

<font color=black>It's a nice song, but not in the same league as YIND, ST and P.change. Also, I'm a bit tired of hearing All Good People, so TYA is not my fave </font id=black>
Astral traveller

Starship Trooper

Re: The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, or Fragile...?

Postby twinarchers » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:27 am

:) That is the holy trinity of Yes albums and they cant be separated. :)

Vaguson wrote:So which is the best of the three?

The Yes Album
Close to the Edge
Fragile

Give specific song examples to support your vote--dissect the albums; it's more interesting that way and it doesn't turn into mindless one sentence voting

If you feel its too close, then let's change the candidates...

<HR>In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.
twinarchers

Postby Chris2210 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 pm

twinarchers wrote: :) That is the holy trinity of Yes albums and they cant be separated. :)

I'd swap any of those three for any of the three that followed. The Yes album is certainly the most consistent of the three, but I don't think there are any throwaways on Tales, Relayer and GfTo. I think the band had by this time found their musical feet and were confident enough to experiment with maturity and a firm foundation.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:48 pm

To me, CTTE is the quintessential Yes album. Wondrous, mind-blowing music, showcasing the unique talents of the lineup - not a weak song in the bunch.

TYA and Fragile are weaker albums, to me anyway, because . . .

TYA - the songs are good, but IMO are SO much better with Wakeman on the keys. To me, the studio versions pale against the live versions with Wakeman.

Fragile - the "filler" tracks are interesting, but there's basically only 4 songs there. And although one of them is my FAVORITE Yes song (HOTS - another perfect track that melds and showcases each of the band members), there's also (IMO) one of their weakest tracks in LDR.

So, that's my opinion FWIW . . . and yes, I know they're like a$$holes - we all have one! LOL
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:58 pm

I think CTTE.

Personally, when I got the album for Christmas it was the one which affected me the most personally. I listen to it every Christmas as well so it has a lot of memories with it. Also, I think the music and lyrics are Yes at their creative peak (a peak that would last thru TFTO and Relayer aswell).

Fragile is great but doesn't flow well (especially with such a variation in song length/significance). HOTS is a long-time favourite and, as I think it was pointed out in another thread, is the song that best sums up what Yes are all about; dynamic and harmonic variation, wonderfully confusing lyrics, and no limit of song-length.

And The Yes album seems to be Yes building up to the latter albums, beginning to experiment. It has less weak tracks but I would agree that the sound isn't complete without a keyboard player who uses more than just a hammond/occasional piano.

CTTE has three 10/10 tracks and the perfect balance between something beautiful and something that really rocks.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Orpheus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:28 am

If it were 10 years ago I would've answered CTTE, but right now I'd have to say TYA. Odd pick right?
I've grown fonder of it's unique beauty over the years and I can't think of a better place to start with if you're getting into Yes.
Yours is no Disgrace alone is worth the entire album. And yes I know, no Wakeman, they're not tearing down walls or púshing the envelope as intensily as they did with CTTE, but there are a lot of strong and memorable ideas here. TYA sort of paved the way for the kind of stuff they would eventually experiment with down the road, and they were already flirting with some of the structures that would soon become a trademark. Everything starts somewhere, a small start, you can't bend the musical fabric with one single thunderstruck, and if it weren't for TYA they would've never challenged themselves as artists and find the drive to keep pushing and creating something unique.

I've always felt that Fragile was a transitional album, with the band as a whole sifting through colors, textures trying to figure out what works and what to do with this new world of conceptual and creative possibilities. You can see a couple of nods to their past, some of the melodies reflect that, evoking the atmosphere and climate they were coming from but at the same time, these gentlemen are growing into a unit, marching forward and exploring new ideas. The result is a beautiful blend of old and new, lacking in coherence here and there but just as valid and timeless as everything else they've put out since the band's inceptin.

CTTE is a force of nature, I won't argue with that. It is galvanizing from start to finish and you can really feel that this unit is now very aware of it's strengths and comfortable with their artistic and aesthetic achievements. But where did it all began? TYA, the seed of what Yes was going to become. When I think about Siberian, And you and I and the title track, I feel like they belong side by side with TYA, they're just as relevant and groundbreaking. On different levels of creativity and fluidity, yes, but I find it impossible to diminish one in favor of the other.
Big things have small beginnings
Orpheus

Return to Album talk