Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby jackaranda » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:15 pm

Although I love a couple of songs from The Ladder, I've never been able to get into the whole album, and God knows I've tried.

The HOB versions of the songs are good. But the album as a whole just never struck me as being a true Yes album. From a 90's perspective, I thought Keys and Talk were far better. I even like OYE more than I do The Ladder.
~ So if you choose to realize
All existence is a dream
This perfect resume to you from me ~

Jack [}:)]
jackaranda

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Why does everyone knock "If Only You Knew"?

Sure, it's a pop ballad. BUT, it's a pop ballad sung by the most angelic voice ever, and how can you really fault the lyrics? They're SO romantic . . . :luv1:

I really like it - in the flow of the entire album, it certainly works.
tardistraveler

Postby jackaranda » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:13 am

tardistraveler wrote:Why does everyone knock "If Only You Knew"?

Sure, it's a pop ballad. BUT, it's a pop ballad sung by the most angelic voice ever, and how can you really fault the lyrics? They're SO romantic . . . :luv1:

I really like it - in the flow of the entire album, it certainly works.

I dunno Diane....it reminded me too much of a Peter Cetera-Amy Grant duet. Too sappy.

A great love song doesn't have to be sappy.

But Kay loves it. Oh well.
~ So if you choose to realize
All existence is a dream
This perfect resume to you from me ~

Jack [}:)]
jackaranda

Veteran Member

A album to climb from time to time

Postby Yesola » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:17 am

I put the Ladder in the decent effort category. Homeworld is a true Yes song all the way. I like the others to varrying degrees. Take the best tracks from Talk, The Ladder, and a track or two from OYe and you have a decent album!
Yesola

Back pain

Postby Dr_Yes » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:20 pm

I listened to Homeworld live the other day and it is aging well. But a lot of Yes stuff gets better with time. Whether that means it's GREAT is debatable. I've lived with a severe back problem for more than a decade now and it too gets better with time - or I am more used to its niggles. Doesn't mean I wish I'd never got it though.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby yes_angel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:38 pm

When "The Ladder" first came out ,,I was very pleased with it,,,it didn't have to grow on me like OYE and Drama! New Language is awesome to the max! Mag also took me awhile to get use to but that really grew on me unlike the 2 I mentioned. and Talk swept me off my feet! :D [|)]
yes_angel

Veteran Member

Postby sschiffman » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:28 pm

I liked The Ladder from the first time I heard it. It most certainly does not suck!
sschiffman

Postby robin chun » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:05 pm

THE LADDER by no way sucks,NINE VOICES amazing,HOMEWORLD great and I really like CAN I along with TO BE ALIVE hey they're ALL good,imo far superior to OYE.
Robin [|)]
..This dialogue,This voice, Singing as one..[|)]
robin chun

Postby Seryn » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:54 am

doogee wrote:Put in simple Brit terms it's a BLOODY GOOD ALBUM ! and if you knock it i will come to your house and bite your bum :p

In general, after reading through the posts, I felt that Doogee's sentiment reflected my own quite well. The Ladder contains many of Yes' sounds, and I think its a good representative album for them. Homeworld reminds me of Awaken in its layout and power. Face to Face, Finally, To Be Alive, and New Languages are all very fine songs as well. I was overjoyed with the album and really think that Fairburn was a great influence on the band.
Seryn [:idr]
"Like leaves we touch" -Yes
"When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius. Lift up thy head!" -Blake
"Sound the Flute! Now its mute!" Blake/adapted to music by members of Yes
Seryn

Charter Member

Postby Kalingzeye » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:30 pm

The Ladder is AWESOME! Image I think it's one of YES's coolest, most experimental, and varied albums. Each song has it's own flavor, and I love that. It's great how YES are never afraid to do something completely different. (Plus it's always fun to sing along to Jon-scat! Image)

Anyone ever played the Homeworld game? I have it, but it's pretty hard... I'm not too great with strategy games! The graphics are crazy cool, tho. 'Fraid I never got past, like, the third level... Image :p
Kalingzeye

Postby Whitefish » Sat May 06, 2006 6:08 am

The Ladder is great! It was a comeback album for Yes of sorts. God Bless Bruce Fairbairn! :)
Whitefish

Postby yes_angel » Sat May 06, 2006 3:41 pm

You got it!! :D
yes_angel

Veteran Member

Postby Andrew Moore » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:14 am

Homeworld stood at the top of the charts in my house for an un-nerveing four months. This was assisted by the constant scheduling by my lovely wife Anne of the House of Blues DVD where the main song was always the afformentioned to my complete surprise. Since she could not survive a complete assault of TFTO or CLTE, but surprisingly survived the recent Australian tour and continued to request this song, I only discovered after a night of aclohol fueled sincerity that this was because there was a special interest in a particular part of Billy Sherwood's anatomony that sparked a hidden lust in anything young and muscular in tight jeans.
Andrew Moore

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:02 pm

Seeing this thread has inspired me to play this album!

I like it so much it's on my playlist here at work . . . ;)
tardistraveler

It is Awesome!

Postby TenVoices » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:00 pm

Let's face it. Yes became too proud of their own producing abilities as of late, and this album allowed someone to come in and say, "Hey, that sucks, start over."

Magnificraption is a great example of no outside influence equating to sub-par musicianship.

The Ladder is the best album since Talk bar none. Disagree if you will, but you are looking for album construction that just isn't there.

Bye.
TenVoices

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:09 am

TenVoices wrote:Let's face it. Yes became too proud of their own producing abilities as of late, and this album allowed someone to come in and say, "Hey, that sucks, start over."

Magnificraption is a great example of no outside influence equating to sub-par musicianship.

The Ladder is the best album since Talk bar none. Disagree if you will, but you are looking for album construction that just isn't there.

Bye.

Gosh that's such a well constructed forensic analysis, you've precluded the possibility of anyone being able to disagree.

Your intelligent and tightly reasoned argument (along with the sophisticated, urbane pun on the name of the last album) has shown the error of anyone foolish enough to have an alternative opinion.

Or not.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby yesguys » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:59 pm

The only thing wrong with The Ladder is that it wasn't called Homeworld. It's a thoughtful, powerful, and finely-produced album from start to finish. The only dip is New Language, but I got used to it. If the next album isn't the guys equivalent of Dark Side Of The moon or Sgt. Pepper which Jon talked about a few years ago, then I hope it will be something like The Ladder.

[} :) ] Fragile world - what are we going to do about it?
yesguys

Oh Crap!

Postby sound_chaser » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:02 pm

Magnificraption, was the final straw for me. First, there was Time & A Crap and The Crap Album. Then, the big jobbie, Close To The Crap. And if Tales From Topocrapic Oceans wasn't crap enough, they have to top it off with Going For The Crap, 9012crap and Big Craperator: what were these guys thinking of? I liked Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Crap though.
sound_chaser

The audience arways go crap at the end

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:36 pm

Big ploblem for me Lichard, Andelson's 'happy-crappy' ryrics. Best no ryrics, rike wif Crap flom <i>Crapile</i>?
Chris2210

Postby sound_chaser » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:41 pm

Crapile was a crapic. As was Recrapper, which included N2 Yes' favourite song, To Be Crap.
sound_chaser

Postby yesguys » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:08 pm

sound_chaser wrote:Magnificraption, was the final straw for me. First, there was Time & A Crap and The Crap Album. Then, the big jobbie, Close To The Crap. And if Tales From Topocrapic Oceans wasn't crap enough, they have to top it off with Going For The Crap, 9012crap and Big Craperator: what were these guys thinking of? I liked Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Crap though.

It sounds like you're joking. Are you? If not, why are you here? Or is it just the thing that Yesfans tend to acknowledge the quirkiness of it all?
yesguys

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:46 pm

yesguys wrote:It sounds like you're joking. Are you? If not, why are you here? Or is it just the thing that Yesfans tend to acknowledge the quirkiness of it all?

He is. (He's moderator of Alternate Tunes). But it has to be said he prefers the Floyd. Pity the fool. ;)
Chris2210

Postby sound_chaser » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:13 pm

yesguys wrote:It sounds like you're joking. Are you? If not, why are you here? Or is it just the thing that Yesfans tend to acknowledge the quirkiness of it all?

If you go back up to Ten Voices post and Chris' response, you'll get the joke. Ten Voices made it very clear that there can be no argument that Magnification was anything but a crap album. So, I'm not going to argue, but have a bit of fun instead. As to why I'm here, that's a very good question. Why are any of us here? What does it all mean? Is there really a God? These are the kind of problems we have to wrestle with internally every day...don't you think?
sound_chaser

Postby sound_chaser » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Chris2210 wrote:He is. (He's moderator of Alternate Tunes). But it has to be said he prefers the Floyd. Pity the fool. ;)

Who you callin' fool, sucker? GRRRRR!
sound_chaser

Postby Roan's Lady » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:33 pm

Chris2210 wrote:Big ploblem for me Lichard, Andelson's 'happy-crappy' ryrics. Best no ryrics, rike wif Crap flom Crapile?

I thought Crap was from The Yes Album, not the pile of crap that followed it. :D
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Postby yesguys » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:41 pm

sound_chaser wrote:If you go back up to Ten Voices post and Chris' response, you'll get the joke. Ten Voices made it very clear that there can be no argument that Magnification was anything but a crap album. So, I'm not going to argue, but have a bit of fun instead. As to why I'm here, that's a very good question. Why are any of us here? What does it all mean? Is there really a God? These are the kind of problems we have to wrestle with internally every day...don't you think?

Sure, it's all passing the time. No probs. I was lazy to read through.

Some suggestions for us being here:

1. To achieve.
2. To enjoy.
3. To love.
4. To save the planet in order to allow the human race to flourish.
5. To pass on our genes.
6. To wonder what on earth is going on.
7. To avoid the dictatorial middle manager.
8. To have a good old laugh (re: the dictatorial middle manager!)
yesguys

Postby yesguys » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:44 pm

Chris2210 wrote:He is. (He's moderator of Alternate Tunes). But it has to be said he prefers the Floyd. Pity the fool. ;)

I think Floyd has more succesfully expressed what art rock is. After that, a matter of taste.
yesguys

Postby Chris2210 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:18 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:I thought Crap was from The Yes Album, not the pile of crap that followed it. :D

Rady wif rubbery hair and plitty face too sharp for own good!
Chris2210

Postby Roan's Lady » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:54 pm

Chris2210 wrote:Rady wif rubbery hair and plitty face too sharp for own good!

Sulery you mean "ruvvery?? I can onry play. :)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Postby Chris2210 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:06 am

Roan's Lady wrote:Sulery you mean "ruvvery?? I can onry play. :)

I would quite rike pray wif you. :D
Chris2210

PreviousNext

Return to Album talk