Does The Ladder really suck?



Postby Roan's Lady » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:17 am

Chris2210 wrote:I would quite rike pray wif you. :D


Learry? What would you rike pray?
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

User avatar
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Buttered Rolls

Postby Chris2210 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:02 pm

Roan's Lady wrote:Learry? What would you rike pray?


How about 'Nearer, my God, to <i>thee</i>'? (As we say in Yorkshire). ;)
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

User avatar
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: Huddersfield, Yorkshire, United Kingdom.

Postby Roan's Lady » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:48 pm

Chris2210 wrote:How about 'Nearer, my God, to thee'? (As we say in Yorkshire). ;)


You're in Yorkshire?? Gosh, I thought...never mind...your accent threw me. ;)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

User avatar
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Buttered Rolls

It doesn't suck

Postby Sidewinder_6 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:53 am

I don't think The Ladder sucks. While it certainly isn't Close to the Edge, The Ladder is my favorite modern Yes album (80's+). I do admit that, if it wasn't for Sierra's "Homeworld" (the game) I would've completly missed out on this album. The song "Homeworld" is my absolute favorite song from the 90's. Plus it was, in my opinion, the first time Yes truly got back to their progressive sound. If this post came after your decision, I really hope you chose "The Ladder" because it's a truly great album.
Sidewinder_6

Active Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Postby Sidewinder_6 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:56 am

Kalingzeye wrote:The Ladder is AWESOME! Image I think it's one of YES's coolest, most experimental, and varied albums. Each song has it's own flavor, and I love that. It's great how YES are never afraid to do something completely different. (Plus it's always fun to sing along to Jon-scat! Image)

Anyone ever played the Homeworld game? I have it, but it's pretty hard... I'm not too great with strategy games! The graphics are crazy cool, tho. 'Fraid I never got past, like, the third level... Image :p


I've played it, beat it once (only once) and dang was it hard! I don't blame you for getting stick on lvl 3, I hated that one too. But it doesn't get any easier :( .
Sidewinder_6

Active Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Postby qman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:10 pm

The Ladder is brillant, a true testament to how after 30 plus years they can all be so creative. Few people can work at something that long and still sound as fresh as day one. Listen to YES first album and them listen to The Ladder and think of all the years in between, just amazing they can do that. And Bruce did a great job, he went out at the peak of his skills.
Every now and then the ball bounces your way :-)
qman

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2001 2:29 pm
Location: Lee\'s Summit, MO, USA.

Postby john mccleary » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:44 am

I like every Yes album.I think the Ladder rolls with the times.They have to make tough decisions personall to make the cd right.I mean They change out members often. :)
john mccleary

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:05 am

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Saw this thread and decided I MUST listen to The Ladder!

It will be a GOOD day . . . :)
tardistraveler

User avatar
 
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Postby N2yes » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:46 am

Thank you, Diane. A must do!
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 5443
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Concord, New Hampshire, USA.

Postby N2yes » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:22 am

Personally, I can't say enough good about it. "Face to Face"....love it
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 5443
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Concord, New Hampshire, USA.

A damn strong effort!!!!

Postby Mr. Stout » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:22 pm

I might have reviewed this somewhere else, but Ill gladly offer my take on this again. This was a solid album, and while it may not rival the classic Yes albums of the seventies, this effort has a lot going for it. A strong producer like Bruce Fairburn who knocked heads together certainly helped.(He probaly locked them all in a back room and beat the shit out of them is what probaly happned). But all kidding aside, the album consists of good songwriting and melodies that are catchy. The days of making epics such as Awaken and Gates of Delrium were far over. Now it may not have been progressive or `cutting edge' like their seventies work, the album still showed for me that Yes were still a viable band.
It was so refreshing to hear Chris Squire rock out on the bass again, especially on `New Language', `Face to face' and `Lightning Strikes'. His bass playing had become rudimentary and sparse on previous albums for the most part.
Mr. Stout

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:30 am
Location: dividing time between Staten Island N.Y. and Freehold N.J.

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby lonotes » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:14 pm

The Ladder in my opinion does not suck. I thought from the first listen that it was the best studio album they put out since the days of Fragile and CTTE. Then Magnificaiton came out.

I went to that tour and saw them in Hampton Roads, Virginia. They played with the Philharmonic Orchestra and it was absoulutely great. I had seen other bands produce albums in conjunction with an orchestra, but this was done the right way. I always thought it would be a great idea for Yes to produce something using a real orchestra and for years I wondered if they would get around to it...this was by far the best concert experience I ever had.

lonotes
lonotes

User avatar
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby lonotes » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:19 pm

qman wrote:The Ladder is brillant, a true testament to how after 30 plus years they can all be so creative. Few people can work at something that long and still sound as fresh as day one. Listen to YES first album and them listen to The Ladder and think of all the years in between, just amazing they can do that. And Bruce did a great job, he went out at the peak of his skills.



I couldn't agree more...Yes has always had such a wide degree of creativity and when compared to other bands - for instance you always know when you hear a song by Aerosmith, Rush, or most any other group - they all develop their own signature styles. Yes seems to maintain their individuality while constantly changing; whether they are changing instruments, personell, decades, etc. it doesn't seem to matter. Their longevity is really quite astonishing.

lonotes
lonotes

User avatar
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby Roan's Lady » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:01 pm

lonotes wrote:I couldn't agree more...Yes has always had such a wide degree of creativity and when compared to other bands - for instance you always know when you hear a song by Aerosmith, Rush, or most any other group - they all develop their own signature styles. Yes seems to maintain their individuality while constantly changing; whether they are changing instruments, personell, decades, etc. it doesn't seem to matter. Their longevity is really quite astonishing.

lonotes


Welcome to Yestalk, lonotes!
What do you think of Oliver Wakeman filling his dad's shoes in the latest incarnation of Yes?
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

User avatar
 
Posts: 2835
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: The Magical Land of Buttered Rolls

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby yesman90125 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:36 pm

I didn't know such a blasphemous thread actually existed?
The Ladder is one of my Favorite albums
the tour was great too and I did play homeworld and thought it was a very cool game....albeit rather complicated.
I'll chime in with my favorite-Nine Voices!!!!! 10+
they should play Homeworld, Nine voices and New Language on the upcoming tour!(perhaps even Face to Face) and then a few cuts from Magnification-(they could drop show me or anything from open Your Eyes though-and God knows Roundabout and Moaner of A Homely Heart)
I can forsee Yes getting indoctrinated into the Rock and Roll hall of fame and playing Roundabout and Owner for their songs-why not blast the institution(that has seen fit to ignore them for so long while inducting their contemporarys like Led Zep,CSN&Y and Genesis) and play Revealing Science Of God and Ritual-Or Awaken and Gates Of Delerium lol now that would be an eye opener.......and would cement them as the Inavational giants they are! I didn't hear Zepplin playin whole lotta love and stairway to heaven they did what they felt like so should Yes! Yes seems to be confined by a certin 7-10 songs that are all great but man I've heard them SOOOOO many times-something from The Ladder would be really refreashing
yesman90125

Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby Kalingzeye » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:13 am

yesman90125 wrote:I didn't know such a blasphemous thread actually existed?
The Ladder is one of my Favorite albums
the tour was great too and I did play homeworld and thought it was a very cool game....albeit rather complicated.
I'll chime in with my favorite-Nine Voices!!!!! 10+
they should play Homeworld, Nine voices and New Language on the upcoming tour!(perhaps even Face to Face) and then a few cuts from Magnification-(they could drop show me or anything from open Your Eyes though-and God knows Roundabout and Moaner of A Homely Heart)
I can forsee Yes getting indoctrinated into the Rock and Roll hall of fame and playing Roundabout and Owner for their songs-why not blast the institution(that has seen fit to ignore them for so long while inducting their contemporarys like Led Zep,CSN&Y and Genesis) and play Revealing Science Of God and Ritual-Or Awaken and Gates Of Delerium lol now that would be an eye opener.......and would cement them as the Inavational giants they are! I didn't hear Zepplin playin whole lotta love and stairway to heaven they did what they felt like so should Yes! Yes seems to be confined by a certin 7-10 songs that are all great but man I've heard them SOOOOO many times-something from The Ladder would be really refreashing


YEA seriously. Why... don't they play them? o_o
If they played anything from Talk or Ladder, I would be SO thrilled beyond words.
Such amazing albums, I wonder why they don't really play that material anymore and seem to overplay a lot of the older stuff. I mean really, variety much? :D
Kalingzeye

User avatar
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:50 am

Re: A damn strong effort!!!!

Postby yesman90125 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:13 am

Mr. Stout wrote:I might have reviewed this somewhere else, but Ill gladly offer my take on this again. This was a solid album, and while it may not rival the classic Yes albums of the seventies, this effort has a lot going for it. A strong producer like Bruce Fairburn who knocked heads together certainly helped.(He probaly locked them all in a back room and beat the shit out of them is what probaly happned). But all kidding aside, the album consists of good songwriting and melodies that are catchy. The days of making epics such as Awaken and Gates of Delrium were far over. Now it may not have been progressive or `cutting edge' like their seventies work, the album still showed for me that Yes were still a viable band.
It was so refreshing to hear Chris Squire rock out on the bass again, especially on `New Language', `Face to face' and `Lightning Strikes'. His bass playing had become rudimentary and sparse on previous albums for the most part.

my first impression of THe Ladder was WoW great bass and drumming on this I actually put up a review somewhere on Amazin saying how much I enjoyed the rhythem section of the band on the ladder SQUIRE was BACK!
some people said it sounded like a jon anderson solo album but to me it was a real true band effort and they seemed to really believe in what they were doing. as much as Igor was kind of a dumb ass he was a really good piano player-billy ehh everyone knows about me and billy ...but yeah the ladder is first class and Quite Prog imo
yesman90125

Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby Kalingzeye » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:38 am

Indeed, Chris!! Squire's work on that album is some of my favourite of his ever. He sounds like he was just having a blast on it, too, and that's always a good vibe to get. God knows, some of that bass is hecka fun to play... Proggy and exciting, but so funnn! Like on Lightning Strikes. That's some super-bouncy and happy stuff! Looove playing the bass along with it. :D

But I dunnnoooooh if I agree with Stouty about the epics- I definitely think Yes still have the capability to create em and certainly did in the 90s with songs like That, That Is and Mind Drive. Those songs are SUPER up there on my list of all-time epic YESsongs. ;)
Kalingzeye

User avatar
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:50 am

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:42 pm

lonotes wrote:The Ladder in my opinion does not suck. I thought from the first listen that it was the best studio album they put out since the days of Fragile and CTTE. Then Magnificaiton came out.

I went to that tour and saw them in Hampton Roads, Virginia. They played with the Philharmonic Orchestra and it was absoulutely great. I had seen other bands produce albums in conjunction with an orchestra, but this was done the right way. I always thought it would be a great idea for Yes to produce something using a real orchestra and for years I wondered if they would get around to it...this was by far the best concert experience I ever had.

lonotes

I was also at that concert... Portsmouth VA ... I had seats with my back against the soundboard. It was INCREDIBLE.... I was there with my oldest son. Hearing Gates with the orchestra was bittersweet... sweet because it was amazing with the orchestra, bitter because it almost ruined my enjoyment of the studio version.
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

User avatar
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2001 7:19 pm
Location: Newport News, VA

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:03 pm

Kalingzeye wrote:Indeed, Chris!! Squire's work on that album is some of my favourite of his ever. He sounds like he was just having a blast on it, too, and that's always a good vibe to get. God knows, some of that bass is hecka fun to play... Proggy and exciting, but so funnn! Like on Lightning Strikes. That's some super-bouncy and happy stuff! Looove playing the bass along with it. :D

But I dunnnoooooh if I agree with Stouty about the epics- I definitely think Yes still have the capability to create em and certainly did in the 90s with songs like That, That Is and Mind Drive. Those songs are SUPER up there on my list of all-time epic YESsongs. ;)

I did have some problems with the Key's studio work however I thought That That is Is was the best Yessong since Awaken.
Homeworld might even be better, tough choice.
yesman90125

Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2764
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 6:00 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby Kalingzeye » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:45 pm

yesman90125 wrote:I did have some problems with the Key's studio work however I thought That That is Is was the best Yessong since Awaken.
Homeworld might even be better, tough choice.


Truuuuue that! MAN is Homeworld awesome~ :D
Kalingzeye

User avatar
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:50 am

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby lonotes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:34 am

Roan's Lady wrote:Welcome to Yestalk, lonotes!
What do you think of Oliver Wakeman filling his dad's shoes in the latest incarnation of Yes?

Yes has always had great musicians however that being said, their one weakness is finding a keyboard player who can stick with the group. They've been blessed with several, Rick being my personal favorite over the years.

I have not heard Oliver's playing. However due to the musicianship of the group I would say he must have some great chops.

So IMHO, welcome, Oliver. However the revolving door of Yes Keyboardist may not have stopped spinning yet.

lonotes
lonotes

User avatar
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby lonotes » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:42 am

Tomfoolery wrote:I was also at that concert... Portsmouth VA ... I had seats with my back against the soundboard. It was INCREDIBLE.... I was there with my oldest son. Hearing Gates with the orchestra was bittersweet... sweet because it was amazing with the orchestra, bitter because it almost ruined my enjoyment of the studio version.


That's one of the things I like most about Yes. Their live shows are as good as or better than the sound you get from their studio work. I can't say that about too many bands. And it's hard to achieve that. Playing live has it's own quirks that you can avoid in studio by claiming "do over". I think of live performances as kind of having a "life and mind of their own" and you have to adjust and react to various different things that you can eliminate in a studio setting. Yes has never strayed very far from being able to reproduce their studio sound on stage (at least to me).

lonotes
lonotes

User avatar
Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby UnionLover » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:49 am

The Ladder is good, but not great...very odd album altogether.I like it for its weirdness.

Talk is great btw...only one filler track on the whole thing.
UnionLover

Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby the greenman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:08 pm

its an album of hope.. at the time it came out, i thought - this is great, this is Yes getting back on track, working together, regaining their confidence.

what's a shame is that it didnt evolve from there..Compare this to the 'new' songs on KTA.. now, with the benefit of hindsight, which is better...
the greenman

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: On Sacred Ground

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby sound_chaser » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:39 am

I still love The Ladder & think it's one of the best late-period albums made by the giants of the seventies: including Pink Floyd, Genesis & ELP. It's a very fresh sounding album and although the band may have been working to their established Yes template, for me, the songwriting & playing is of a very high order. Bruce Fairburn obviously deserves a lot of credit for the vibe of the album and The Ladder is a fitting tribute to him. Who cares if it's commercial? I love commercial, as long as it's well done, which The Ladder most definitely is. As with Magnification, the wider music buying public missed out on a gem here…no surprise there then.
sound_chaser

 
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: The Light Side.

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby CourtoftheCrimsonKeith » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:37 pm

I'll always love The Ladder. It was the first Yes album I listened to straight through. Now that I know a lot more of their music and what they're all about, I love it even more.
While I do think that Bruce Fairburn deserves a lot of credit for this album being so great, I need to say that I think Igor Khorchev deserves more. This one would have been a flop without him. He sounded more like early Wakeman than Rick does now.
CourtoftheCrimsonKeith

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby sound_chaser » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:53 pm

CourtoftheCrimsonKeith wrote:While I do think that Bruce Fairburn deserves a lot of credit for this album being so great, I need to say that I think Igor Khorchev deserves more. This one would have been a flop without him. He sounded more like early Wakeman than Rick does now.


Agreed. It was a great shame his time with the band was so short. I wonder how different Magnification would have been if he was still in the band? Igor was a fantastic live performer as well: I was lucky enough to see him on The Ladder tour in Bournemouth, England and of course, there is always the House of Blues DVD.
sound_chaser

 
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: The Light Side.

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby the greenman » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:21 pm

I think it was a shame Bruce died before the production was finished - it might have been even better! Yeh, I thought as a player Igor was terrific & could see that with Billy & he on board the band would go on to great things - between them they seem to put a new energy into the band.

Billy's just posted some interesting comments on the songwriting process around OYE/The Ladder on Yesfans (under the Circa vs Conspiracy thread) - worth a butchers!

[|)]
the greenman

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: On Sacred Ground

Re: Does The Ladder really suck?

Postby Yessong » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:11 pm

When "The Ladder" came out I really thought that the commercial sound of the songs could've opened a new door to radio airplay and attention from a wider audience - and it did enjoy some airplay in ther New York area...I still feel that, among the later releases, this is one of the finest...on the other hand I have NEVER found anything listenable on "Talk". I review it every few years and still just have not ever found anything of value to that LP...it is the ONLY Yes effort that I've ever felt that way about.
Yessong

Charter Member
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2001 5:50 am
Location: East Setauket, New York, USA.

PreviousNext

Return to Album talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron