Steve's best guitar playing on a Yes album

Postby child-of-the-light » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:38 pm

LadyMoondancer wrote:I got that 2 disc cd set The Yes Story - Gold.
I think Steve's playing of To Be Over is fantastic! Is that the same version you're referring to Topo?
I think disc 1 of the set is fantastic. That dance mix of Owner of a Lonely Heart is great! But disc 2 has Jon and Steve trying to sing a folksy/country ballad. umm, Jon, stick to rock and New-Age, country isn't your thing.
Yep, I'll have to vote for Steve's instrumental To Be Over. I can put that thing on repeat and repeat all day! Lovely.

The song is Bob Dylan's "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands". It's so much better than Dylan's version.
Ride the tides of faith
child-of-the-light

Veteran Member

Re: Steve's best guitar playing on a Yes album

Postby Uncle Norm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:24 pm

I think Howe's playing, writing and tone are best on...

TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS

RELAYER

I'm not always 100% crazy about everything Howe plays, but I think on Tales and Relayer he is 100% dead on with everything he does. Briliant!

NB
Uncle Norm

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:13 pm

Hey, Norm - thanks for resurrecting this thread!

I can't even THINK of anything Steve's done where I didn't think the guitar playing was fabulous! I'd be hard pressed to pick just one that's his "best" . . . HE'S the best!

That said, a personal favorite of mine is his work on Turn of the Century - it's so clean and poignant . . . brings tears most every time . . . :)
tardistraveler

Postby ksdb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:55 am

BUMP for a great thread. This is a really hard question. My first instinct is Fragile, because the combination of acoustic, classical style, electric solos and precision playing are all represented as well in that album as in any other. I like the earlier song choice of America. That performance, the guitar tone, and all the little things he brings to the song are pure genius. Love his playing on Turn of the Century and side two of the Relayer album. Some of the playing on Drama is amazing and incorporates some of the contemporary styles of the day, prior to Asia. It's great stuff.
ksdb

Postby Jedi Catt » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:00 pm

My favourite Yes album of Steve's guitar is RELAYER!!!
Jedi Catt

Postby Orpheus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:44 am

I think Tales is his finest and most concise achievement in terms of musicianship, depth, timbre and inventiveness.
Steve's work has always been about the dance between light and darkness and everything that comes in between. I realize that TFTO is a bit of a departure from the rhythmic style and palette employed on both Fragile and CTTE, but that is precisely what grabs me with his Tales work, it's more organic, out-of-the box and even in the softer quieter moments he still manages to convey a lot of drama and tension. You get the powerhouse, bitting guitar punch as well as the classical-infused arpeggios and oneiric lap-steel fills. It's a massive work of unparalleled beauty and enthralling force.
Big things have small beginnings
Orpheus

Previous

Return to Album talk