[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - Steve's best guitar playing on a Yes album

Steve's best guitar playing on a Yes album

Postby child-of-the-light » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:38 pm

Ride the tides of faith
child-of-the-light

Veteran Member

Re: Steve's best guitar playing on a Yes album

Postby Uncle Norm » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:24 pm

I think Howe's playing, writing and tone are best on...

TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS

RELAYER

I'm not always 100% crazy about everything Howe plays, but I think on Tales and Relayer he is 100% dead on with everything he does. Briliant!

NB
Uncle Norm

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:13 pm

Hey, Norm - thanks for resurrecting this thread!

I can't even THINK of anything Steve's done where I didn't think the guitar playing was fabulous! I'd be hard pressed to pick just one that's his "best" . . . HE'S the best!

That said, a personal favorite of mine is his work on Turn of the Century - it's so clean and poignant . . . brings tears most every time . . . :)
tardistraveler

Postby ksdb » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:55 am

ksdb

Postby Jedi Catt » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:00 pm

My favourite Yes album of Steve's guitar is RELAYER!!!
Jedi Catt

Postby Orpheus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:44 am

I think Tales is his finest and most concise achievement in terms of musicianship, depth, timbre and inventiveness.
Steve's work has always been about the dance between light and darkness and everything that comes in between. I realize that TFTO is a bit of a departure from the rhythmic style and palette employed on both Fragile and CTTE, but that is precisely what grabs me with his Tales work, it's more organic, out-of-the box and even in the softer quieter moments he still manages to convey a lot of drama and tension. You get the powerhouse, bitting guitar punch as well as the classical-infused arpeggios and oneiric lap-steel fills. It's a massive work of unparalleled beauty and enthralling force.
Big things have small beginnings
Orpheus

Previous

Return to Album talk