Magnification CD



Magnification CD

Postby ThisName » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi all, I'm new here and just want to say how happy i am to have discovered the music of Yes!

My question is relating to the symphonic live dvd. I own this dvd but discovered that there is another version with an audio cd of the music. I really would like to obtain it, is there anyway of getting it seperately, or should i buy the other copy and get rid of the dvd I have now?

I really liked don't go you see!
ThisName

Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:58 pm

Postby happytheman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:34 pm

ThisName wrote:Hi all, I'm new here and just want to say how happy i am to have discovered the music of Yes!

My question is relating to the symphonic live dvd. I own this dvd but discovered that there is another version with an audio cd of the music. I really would like to obtain it, is there anyway of getting it seperately, or should i buy the other copy and get rid of the dvd I have now?

I really liked don't go you see!


When I bought Symphonic Live the only way it was available to my knowledge was with the "audio" disc. Eagle Rock Entertainment is the company that released it. Check their website eaglerockent.com
happytheman

Charter Member
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: .

Postby sound_chaser » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:04 am

ThisName wrote:Hi all, I'm new here and just want to say how happy i am to have discovered the music of Yes!

My question is relating to the symphonic live dvd. I own this dvd but discovered that there is another version with an audio cd of the music. I really would like to obtain it, is there anyway of getting it seperately, or should i buy the other copy and get rid of the dvd I have now?

I really liked don't go you see!


Hi there. I really liked Don't Go as well and was lucky enough to see this tour at Brighton, England. The DVD I have doesn't have an audio CD with it either: wish it did though!
sound_chaser

 
Posts: 1516
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: The Light Side.

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:05 pm

I seem to remember a special edition of Symphonic that had a copy of <I>Magnification</i> bundled - it may also have had the ep that included live versions of <i>Gates</i> and others from the tour that also appeared with some copies of the album [Magnification] in North America - I may be wrong...

If it's principally Don't Go and other new tracks you're after the standard <i>Magnification</i> audio CD covers that. I know many would disagree, but IMO it's amongst Yes's five best ever albums...
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

User avatar
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: Huddersfield, Yorkshire, United Kingdom.

Postby Joedude » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:31 am

I had a choice when I bought my copy of Symphonic Live. Side-by-side there was a copy with the audio CD and another with a bonus DVD about the tour, interviews, etc. I got the one with the audio CD.

The audio CD leaves out several tunes, the most glaring being Gates of Delerium.
This to just remind you
[color=DarkRed]All is meant to be
[/color]
Joedude

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:17 pm
Location: Suburban Chicago

Postby holy_lamb » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:00 pm

Here is my take on the album:

I was pleasantly surprised- as a long time YES fan and a keyboard player I was not too sure I would like this album. When I first played it all the way through I just didn't get a good feeling about the music. It just wasn't an album that gave me the "ebb and flow" I look foward to with YES albums.

When I remixed my favorite songs (FOR PERSONAL USE SO DON'T CALL THE LAWYERS) I had an incredible album on my hands. In these days of CD's- instead of having to fill 40 -45 minutes on a tape or LP like days of old, I think the band had to include "filler songs" that were, in my opinion, very weak and not up to the usual Yes standards.

My problem with tracks 3,,7 and 10 (Don't Go, Soft As A Dove, Time is Time) was that they just didn't fit into the whole. They really were not songs suitable for a symphonic Yes album.

They seem like leftovers from previous efforts...Don't Go and parts of the title track seem like old catalogue stuff Squire had laying around from the 80's when Yes was infected with Rabinitis (sorry I just didn't care for the "pop star" Yes line-up and music).

Played individually the songs are ok but I think that it took away from the other tracks- just as the listener is being carried away into a musical journey they are sidetracked with tracks that have Anderson singing without the passion you hear in the other, more powerful tracks.

While I didn't include track 5 in my mix, a lead vocal song by Squire called Can You Imagine, it is still (again played individually) a good track that proves that Chris can do more then sing back up vocals.

So my mix included:

Side One-

Magnification
Spirit of Survival
Give Love Each Day
We Agree


Side Two-

(I mixed this so it is like one complete song- the same as Close To The Edge or Gates of Delirium is)

Dreamtime

In the Presence Of
(I skipped the droning first section)

ii-death of ego
iii- true beginner
iv- turn around and remember

Were there no such thing as CD's and albums still ran 40-45 minutes this line up of songs...especially my side two mix would have been hailed as the 21st century's classic Yes album.

Without this ebb and flow- where one song naturally progresses into the next without a curve ball being thrown in, this album didn't get as much recognition as I think it should have- nestled in between the crapola are some real Yes jewels for sure.

[CENTER][} :) ][/CENTER]
holy_lamb

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Magnification CD

Postby Wakemaniac » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:03 pm

ThisName wrote:Hi all, I'm new here and just want to say how happy i am to have discovered the music of Yes!

My question is relating to the symphonic live dvd. I own this dvd but discovered that there is another version with an audio cd of the music. I really would like to obtain it, is there anyway of getting it seperately, or should i buy the other copy and get rid of the dvd I have now?

I really liked don't go you see!



Don't get rid of anything it is all valuable and good :) if you realize you have it in double sell it to me!
Caroline [:yes]songs
Wakemaniac

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:39 am
Location: Close to the edge of the South Side of the Sky

Re: Magnification CD

Postby Wakemaniac » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:06 pm

holy_lamb wrote:Here is my take on the album:

I was pleasantly surprised- as a long time YES fan and a keyboard player I was not too sure I would like this album. When I first played it all the way through I just didn't get a good feeling about the music. It just wasn't an album that gave me the "ebb and flow" I look foward to with YES albums.

When I remixed my favorite songs (FOR PERSONAL USE SO DON'T CALL THE LAWYERS) I had an incredible album on my hands. In these days of CD's- instead of having to fill 40 -45 minutes on a tape or LP like days of old, I think the band had to include "filler songs" that were, in my opinion, very weak and not up to the usual Yes standards.

My problem with tracks 3,,7 and 10 (Don't Go, Soft As A Dove, Time is Time) was that they just didn't fit into the whole. They really were not songs suitable for a symphonic Yes album.

They seem like leftovers from previous efforts...Don't Go and parts of the title track seem like old catalogue stuff Squire had laying around from the 80's when Yes was infected with Rabinitis (sorry I just didn't care for the "pop star" Yes line-up and music).

Played individually the songs are ok but I think that it took away from the other tracks- just as the listener is being carried away into a musical journey they are sidetracked with tracks that have Anderson singing without the passion you hear in the other, more powerful tracks.

While I didn't include track 5 in my mix, a lead vocal song by Squire called Can You Imagine, it is still (again played individually) a good track that proves that Chris can do more then sing back up vocals.

So my mix included:

Side One-

Magnification
Spirit of Survival
Give Love Each Day
We Agree


Side Two-

(I mixed this so it is like one complete song- the same as Close To The Edge or Gates of Delirium is)

Dreamtime

In the Presence Of
(I skipped the droning first section)

ii-death of ego
iii- true beginner
iv- turn around and remember

Were there no such thing as CD's and albums still ran 40-45 minutes this line up of songs...especially my side two mix would have been hailed as the 21st century's classic Yes album.

Without this ebb and flow- where one song naturally progresses into the next without a curve ball being thrown in, this album didn't get as much recognition as I think it should have- nestled in between the crapola are some real Yes jewels for sure.

[CENTER][} :) ][/CENTER]
Magnification and In The Presence Of are GEMS....Both qualify!the latter is probably the track of my life :)
Caroline [:yes]songs
Wakemaniac

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:39 am
Location: Close to the edge of the South Side of the Sky

Re: Magnification CD

Postby twinarchers » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:42 am

I am new to being active on this site and now that I purchased Magnification in the last month I have to say WOW!
I heard it on the way to a comic book/scifi convention back in 2002 and for some reason I never purchased it. Now that I have it, I love it and it will be interesting to see how long that feeling will last. I hope forever.
When I listen to it I usually just play the entire thing.
They should play it straight thru in concert I think.
I really was suprised by Talk but that hardly ever gets played now. I played the heck out of Open Your Eyes for awhile but that faded. I never really got into The Ladder at all and maybe I did not want another dissapointment so I skipped Mag.
It has such a full and rich sound I hope that what Jon was talking about when he said 4 long and very different compostions he was working on takes Magnification to the next level but still with songs that will still get people rocking and make it go platinum. The stuff he said he was doing with Trevor would be cool to hear.
twinarchers

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: Magnification CD

Postby thehallway » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:47 pm

Magnification is the last Yes album I need to get!

This Christmas I think...
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK

Re: Magnification CD

Postby twinarchers » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:03 pm

The version you will get at the moment has a second disc the CTTE, GOD and LDR all live versions and very well recorded.




thehallway wrote:Magnification is the last Yes album I need to get!

This Christmas I think...
twinarchers

User avatar
Active Member
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 pm
Location: Michigan USA

Re: Magnification CD

Postby thehallway » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:00 pm

I think I have those on the symphonic dvd already. ah well.
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK

Re: Magnification CD

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:45 pm

Regarding all these different versions being talked about . . .

Some of the initial releases of Magnification were bundled with a second disc with a live tune from the Symphonic tour. Which song you got depended on where you got the disc - different versions were marketed through different vendors - I know there was a Best Buy version that differed from the Borders version, etc.

There was also a CD that was sold at the symphonic concerts containing several of the songs with symphony - I think LDR was on it, as well as some of the Mag tracks.

The Symphonic DVD was initially marketed stand-alone. Apparently later versions were bundled with other discs, as folks have mentioned above.

There is also an audio release of Symphonic.

http://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Live-Yes/dp/B001P50HOI/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260816200&sr=1-20
tardistraveler

User avatar
 
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: Magnification CD

Postby coalescestudionyc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:45 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Regarding all these different versions being talked about . . .

Some of the initial releases of Magnification were bundled with a second disc with a live tune from the Symphonic tour. Which song you got depended on where you got the disc - different versions were marketed through different vendors - I know there was a Best Buy version that differed from the Borders version, etc.

There was also a CD that was sold at the symphonic concerts containing several of the songs with symphony - I think LDR was on it, as well as some of the Mag tracks.

The Symphonic DVD was initially marketed stand-alone. Apparently later versions were bundled with other discs, as folks have mentioned above.

There is also an audio release of Symphonic.

http://www.amazon.com/Symphonic-Live-Yes/dp/B001P50HOI/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260816200&sr=1-20


And for the agoraphobes, it's also available on the iTunes Music Store.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:01 pm

Re: Magnification CD

Postby thehallway » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:19 pm

coalescestudionyc wrote:And for the agoraphobes, it's also available on the iTunes Music Store.

Michael


CDs are better; you can actually touch them ;)
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK

Re: Magnification CD

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:52 pm

And the agoraphobes can order them online for home delivery . . . ;)
tardistraveler

User avatar
 
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: Magnification CD

Postby thehallway » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:05 pm

That's what I do (though it's nothing to do with being agoraphobic, the shops just simply don't have enough choice)
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK

Re: Magnification CD

Postby Chris2210 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:49 am

thehallway wrote:That's what I do (though it's nothing to do with being agoraphobic, the shops just simply don't have enough choice)


I'm old enough to remember when you could walk into a branch of HMV and see virtually anything currently in the catalogue. That meant you'd always see at least some of the albums by for example the Steves Howe and Hackett. These days you're lucky if you can find the full range of repetoire from relatively popular bands [Yes for instance].

Makes me wonder what places like HMV are for - they were never cheap and they still aren't. Part of it is the evil empires of the supermarkets getting into the action. It kills the specialists because no one can compete on price with the popular stuff. But in the end it means all you're seeing on the High Street are the X-Factor winners.

I hate the idea of downloads - they strip a lot of the magic from music purchases, they're limited in quality, they mostly give a smaller percentage in royalty to the artist, they're tied to a storage format and generally they are overpriced. But for all that the days of physical formats for albums are numbered... bah, humbug.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

User avatar
 
Posts: 2150
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:00 pm
Location: Huddersfield, Yorkshire, United Kingdom.

Re: Magnification CD

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:07 pm

I agree about the downloads - I'd rather have the complete package, and not something that I'm just going to have to download AGAIN if it gets trashed off my computer. Plus you get the artwork and booklets, etc. when you buy CD's.

We have an FYE here in town with a pretty good selection, but certainly not the ENTIRE catalog for individual bands. You'll find all the latest things though, even for pretty obscure artists, so that's good, and the most popular things from their back catalogues. Lots of music DVD's too.

And we have several used CD stores where it's possible to find a lot of those obscure things.

But, when all else fails, I hit the internet . . . ;)
tardistraveler

User avatar
 
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: Magnification CD

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:14 am

In relation to this album, what was the thing with the Yessymphonic EP? Was it just a concert-only release?
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

User avatar
Starship Trooper
 
Posts: 2550
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:00 pm
Location: Wood, Pennsylvania

Re: Magnification CD

Postby tardistraveler » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Not sure - I got MY copy from a concert, but I don't know if it was available elsewhere.
tardistraveler

User avatar
 
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Nashville, TN, USA.

Re: Magnification CD

Postby thehallway » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:02 pm

While we're on the subject, the album is fantastic; and my collection is now complete!

A lot of the stuff on there is superior to the 80s and 90s Yes albums, but In the Presence Of is the one that ranks up there with the 70s classics. I first heard it live and still loved it! It could have easily been the "fourth song" from CTTE
[8]
thehallway

User avatar
Charter Member
 
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset, UK


Return to Album talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron