[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - Tales... would it have been better as a single album?

Tales... would it have been better as a single album?

Tales... would it have been better as a single album?

Postby electricfreedom » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:18 am

electricfreedom

Location: Currently serving up a heaping helping of freedom in Germany

Let it be

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:01 am

[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby frankh » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:21 am

frankh

Veteran Member

Postby electricfreedom » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:06 am

electricfreedom

Postby frankh » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:12 am

frankh

Veteran Member

Postby electricfreedom » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:43 pm

electricfreedom

Postby frankh » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:58 am

frankh

Veteran Member

Re: Tales... would it have been better as a single album?

Postby Uncle Norm » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:43 am

Uncle Norm

Postby happytheman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:57 am

happytheman

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:58 pm

tardistraveler

Postby The Ancient » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:11 pm

The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby Uncle Norm » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:52 am

Uncle Norm

Postby gtrpir8 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:49 pm

gtrpir8

Veteran Member

Postby happytheman » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:32 am

happytheman

Charter Member

Postby frankh » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:15 am

nocturn
frankh

Veteran Member

Postby Tomfoolery » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:16 pm

"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby frankh » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:32 am

nocturn
frankh

Veteran Member

Postby Aventure » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:38 pm

I don't think tales should be cut...but I DO think that it would've been a better album with Bruford...always thought so...
"...sheep remain inside their pens, though many times they've seen the way to leave..."
-peter gabriel
Aventure

Veteran Member

Postby Roan's Lady » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:52 pm

Roan's Lady

Postby Uncle Norm » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 pm

Uncle Norm

Postby coalescestudionyc » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:30 pm

coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby Roan's Lady » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:31 am

Roan's Lady

Postby john i white » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:24 pm

I listened to it again for the first time in a few years and it's - mostly - horrible. Too drawn out, padded and ugly.

I used to think the 'Ancient' was ok, now it seems like a a bloody horrible mess. The whole thing reminds me of a movie director who having achieved prestigious awards and rave reviews, is given an unlimited budget and schedule, and then turns out a self-indulgent disaster a la: 'Heaven's Gate' or that new one by the Donnie Darko Director.

Yes, it'd be better if it was edited but should it be? It serves as a cautionary beacon against pure self-indulgence at present. It would be artificial revisionism to try to erase past errors: artistic dishonesty.

Perhaps a better option would be to perform an improved, re-written, more concise version live and release that instead? I actually really enjoyed 'Ritual' on the Symphonic tour: for the first time!

John
john i white
john i white

Veteran Member

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:55 pm

War Music, Peace Music, Love Music,
We move to it all..........
Ash

Postby yesman90125 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:28 pm

I think the album has Pretty much stood the test of time.
It was Pretty Indulgent at the time, but because of the bravery that Yes (especially Steve and Jon) showed at the time (and on CTTE and Relayer)
I think It opened up doors for less comercial works-Tales will allways be a milestone not to be repeated or Reproduced-the Original album was mixed well
however subsequent releases were not done well at all
I believe that Atlantic didn't have much respect for what Yes was doing at the time(as appearantly neither did Rick).To Record Producers Tales Was The Representation of What they hated about Progressive rock-and about musicians having too much power and influence.
however
The latest Re-Master is brilliant.
I put Tales into an editing Program and shortened it a couple of years ago in order to hear what I considered to be the highlights. I also Re-EQ'ed
the sound to more closely represent the original recording
happily with the re-master done in 2003?-(I have it borrowed out at the moment)fixes all the "Muddy" sound of the past Cd issues.
Tales will allways be a historic Album Of high Ideals. certinly some of the lofty scopes of the intent were not fully realized ,but that's the nature of compromise in musicianship.
I love it!
I loved it the first time I heard it
but,It's not exactly the First Cd I'd Put on when hanging around with Friends .more of a personal experiance .
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby The Ancient » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 pm

The Ancient

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:43 pm

tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:53 pm

tardistraveler

Postby john mccleary » Fri May 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Bread is bread dirt is dirt And Tales is always TALES. [:yes] .
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Sorry, I'm going to do the Bruckner comparison again. It's a decent analogy because in comparison with most Yes music it is heavily concerned with contemplation of the Divine. The symphonies are also very lengthy works. But the key thing here is that he was constantly advised by 'well wishers' to revise them, generally to make them leaner, more concise and less meandering.

It leaves musicologists with the problem that there are at least two versions for most of the symphonies (principally the Haas and Nowak editions). So did Bruckner bow to pressure from those who urged him to make cuts? Most of his revisions were longer than the originals. There are very long, meandering, ruminative passages, but the crescendos are all the more shattering for that.

I suppose you could cut the first seven or eight minutes of the Bolero (after all it's only the same theme repeated over and over) or with the 1812 overture just cut to the chase and have the orchestral (and literal) fireworks with the cannon from the end.

They'd be different (and lesser) pieces of music. And so would Tales.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Next

Return to Album talk