LATEST CD VERSIONS ARE NOW LESS

LATEST CD VERSIONS ARE NOW LESS

Postby twinarchers » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:18 pm

I was just reading some posts about buying a CD vs buying a download.
I do miss the large album covers and all that went with them but dont miss the actual LP's.
Rhino did a very nice job with those digipaks and box sets but they are going away. :eek:
The box set In a Word is now out of print as well as that recent live set and if you go to Rhinos new web site they show the CD's in jeweled cases now and GFTO has a new cover artwork.
I have gone ahead and purhcased duplicate cd's just in case they go up in value. I dont know how many copies of that mini box set Atlantic gold CD of Fragile was made but it goes for big bucks these days. I had it in my hand and thought it cost too much then and now I am sorry.
I also got a copy of the box set still unopened so we will see if the secondary market does anything on these items. :confused:
twinarchers

Re: LATEST CD VERSIONS ARE NOW LESS

Postby thehallway » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:38 pm

I wonder how long before someone else remasters the Yes recordings though...

It was done excessively with ELP
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby twinarchers » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:27 am

That is a good question but I would like to see them all put on Blu Ray disc to get the most information from the original tapes.
Fragile was released on DVD-R which I never got but why not DVD? Those discs can hold more information so they should sound better.
I dont have an SACD player either.
I wonder how much better Dark Side Of The Moon sounds on SACD than the regular CD? One day...... :)

thehallway wrote:I wonder how long before someone else remasters the Yes recordings though...

It was done excessively with ELP
twinarchers

Postby thehallway » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Some people call SACDs Super-Amazing CDs :D .

It is expensive to get SACD players though, unfortunately. I'd like one too.
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:27 am

twinarchers wrote:...if you go to Rhinos new web site they show the CD's in jeweled cases now...

Regarding the jewel cases, the same thing was done to Chicago's first three albums, which were released in 2002 on Rhino. I recently re-acquired Keys To Ascension 1 and 2 and they only come in jewel cases now, too. They were re-released by Image Entertainment. Unfortunately, I don't own either Yesyears nor In A Word and it really sucks that they're both out of print, more so for In A Word since it only came out 7 1/2 years ago.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby twinarchers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 pm

I just was at Best Buy and they are selling CTTE for $9.99 for the slipcase deluxe version. Dont know what the regular prices have been for sure but I think they were $12.99 or there abouts. With hard copy's going away for digital I wonder what will become of CD's? I mean LP's are on the rise so I wonder if it would make sense to come out with an LP size album cover but with a high quality SACD or BLU RAY disc version of these discs to satisfy both artwork fanatics and audiofiles who dont want to mess with albums anymore like me since I no longer have a turntable.
I may get one one day because I do have albums that I have not replace yet and would get a kick out of putting the needle on again.
twinarchers

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:11 pm

I've still got vinyl, but unfortunately my turntable is on the fritz . . . buzzes like crazy when it's hooked up. There is NO grounding wire or connection for same, so I can't try that, and I don't remember ever having to do that before. I've also been told it may be a cartridge problem. So, I'm thinking it's time to just get a new one, as money allows . . .

Even with the smaller packaging of CD's, there's still something to be said for the artwork, liner notes, lyric sheets, pics, etc. that come with the complete package. It adds a dimension of enjoyment to the music, for me.
tardistraveler

Postby twinarchers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 am

Tardis Babe,
I do remember having a ground for my turntable and if it was not hooked up it was buzz city and that was without any weed.
That would be your problem as far as I know. If there is no grounding wire I cant help you.
PS, Like your artwork for the other site

tardistraveler wrote:I've still got vinyl, but unfortunately my turntable is on the fritz . . . buzzes like crazy when it's hooked up. There is NO grounding wire or connection for same, so I can't try that, and I don't remember ever having to do that before. I've also been told it may be a cartridge problem. So, I'm thinking it's time to just get a new one, as money allows . . .

Even with the smaller packaging of CD's, there's still something to be said for the artwork, liner notes, lyric sheets, pics, etc. that come with the complete package. It adds a dimension of enjoyment to the music, for me.
twinarchers

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Yeah, there's no grounding connection, so I'm up a creek with that one.

Other site? Do you mean Yesfans? Relayer Jim did the artwork there - he did a good job, IMO.
tardistraveler

Return to Album talk