Yes Remixes

Yes Remixes

Postby thehallway » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone else here had had the pleasure (or displeasure, as the case may be) to listen to the 'Yes Remixes' album by Steve's son Virgil. He remixed 10 or so Yes songs [WITHOUT master tapes, so not an easy task] and I think they're rather good. He gets a bit enthusiastic with the drum loops at times, but it's a generally impressive piece of work, and done with complete respect and appraisal to the band.

I realise this sort of thing would appeal more to younger people, and you have to be into Yes and drum n bass for it to be good. But if you havn't listened yet, then give it a try!

You'll be surpsied either way... :D
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Re: Yes Remixes

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 am

I bought it when it came out, listened to it 4 times to try to get into it, and sold it back to the store the next day. I just couldn't get into it at all. I applaud Virgil for the effort, but I feel that the songs were better off un-remixed. If anyone else likes it, then I'm happy for you, but it's just not for me.
Ascend and Create!
topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:29 pm

I have a copy of this that I found some years back at the used CD store. Being the completist that I am, I'll keep it in my collection, although I confess I haven't listened to it very much.

Now you've got me curious - think I'll pull it out and have another go . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 pm

tardistraveler wrote:I have a copy of this that I found some years back at the used CD store. Being the completist that I am, I'll keep it in my collection, although I confess I haven't listened to it very much.

Now you've got me curious - think I'll pull it out and have another go . . . ;)

Mmmm why not! I'l admit it is irritating in places (forcing Jon to repeat a sentence 20 times lol) but I find it fresh and exciting. Theres a nifty synth solo on the Wurm section of Starship Trooper!

It is a bit of a marmite album though; you love or hate these things...
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Well, I like Vegemite, which is similar to Marmite, I'm told, so perhaps this is an "acquired" taste . . . ;)

(although, they could leave out some of the salt in the Vegemite, and I'd like it better . . . )
tardistraveler

Postby yerweb1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:58 pm

I have a copy and only listen on occasion. It will certainly be a collectors item as I don't see it being reissued ever again.

It is not remixed but he uses original vinyl and does the DJ thing on a turntable with the records...notice all the cuts are from the vinyl era...
yerweb1

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Yeah, it's a "remix" in the DJ sense, not a "remix" from the original tapes or anything.

Definitely a novelty - I'm glad to have a copy. :)
tardistraveler

Return to Album talk