Rick Wakeman's "Always With You"

Rick Wakeman's "Always With You"

Postby coalescestudionyc » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:32 pm

I just downloaded the CD from iTunes. As usual, Rick doesn't disappoint with his playing. It's every bit as rich and textural as ever, showing that he's lost nothing over the years. However the recording of it is absolutely dreadful. There is so much distortion on some high notes that it sounds like it was recorded through paper cup speakers. Unless there wasn't enough money to re-record the music, I find it hard to believe that no one noticed how poor it sounded. I have Russian copies of "No Earthly Connection" and "White Rock" and they sound pristine in comparison. It reminds me of Jon Anderson's digital release of "Animation." The distortion there is understandable, as it sounds like the music was recorded from an LP and made into digital files. This is just mind-boggling. Even compared to some early recordings of Rachmaninoff playing his own composition, this sounds almost pre-historic.

I'd be curious to hear other opinions on this.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Re: Rick Wakeman's "Always With You"

Postby thehallway » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:07 pm

Is this his latest [piano-only] cd? If so I've read about how the quality is poor but I havn't heard it myself. Is there a version of Stairway to Heaven on there? I'd like to hear how he reworks that one
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby coalescestudionyc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:30 am

Yes, this is the piano-only album. His reworking of "Stairway To Heaven" is very gentle and touching, and I don't even like the original (not a Led Zeppelin fan, I'm afraid.) It reminds me of when he reworked "Help." He took that same approach: concentrate on the melody and not the rhythm. Let the music speak for itself.

I also did a little experiment tonight. I downloaded the music from Amazon and compared it to the iTunes version. I figured for $8.99, what do I have to lose, Well, the difference is night and day. For some reason, the person who did the conversion at the iTMS was either deaf or hated Rick. The Amazon download is absolutely wonderful—no distortion whatsoever. If you're not going to get the CD, definitely download it from Amazon.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby tardistraveler » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:51 pm

I normally buy CD's - I like having the artwork and liner notes - the complete package . . . ;)
tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:23 pm

coalescestudionyc wrote:Yes, this is the piano-only album. His reworking of "Stairway To Heaven" is very gentle and touching, and I don't even like the original (not a Led Zeppelin fan, I'm afraid.) It reminds me of when he reworked "Help." He took that same approach: concentrate on the melody and not the rhythm. Let the music speak for itself.

I also did a little experiment tonight. I downloaded the music from Amazon and compared it to the iTunes version. I figured for $8.99, what do I have to lose, Well, the difference is night and day. For some reason, the person who did the conversion at the iTMS was either deaf or hated Rick. The Amazon download is absolutely wonderful—no distortion whatsoever. If you're not going to get the CD, definitely download it from Amazon.

Michael

Yes he does often focus on melodic qualities of songs when he covers them, as opposed to someone more "chordy" like Tony Kaye. People have complained in the past about how he arppegiates everything, but I think he varies it well with his soloing and chord playing. Theres room for a touch of Wakeman on any song, no matter how simple or complex!
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby Wakemaniac » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:32 am

I have the download of the album from the site We 7.Pristine and crystal clear.
Rick's playing is MAGNIFICENT. :)
Caroline [:yes]songs
Wakemaniac

Postby thehallway » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Wakemaniac wrote:I have the download of the album from the site We 7.Pristine and crystal clear.
Rick's playing is MAGNIFICENT. :)

Happy Birthday for the other day btw!
[8]
thehallway

Charter Member

Return to Album talk