Fly From Here - Any thoughts?

Fly From Here - Any thoughts?

Postby guilddigger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:44 am

Since this forum was still down at the release of Fly From Here, we have not discussed the album.
What is your opoinion of it?
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Re: Fly From Here - Any thoughts?

Postby Chris1960 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Whilst it's not up there with the very best, it's stayed with me more than H&E. I prefer it over all to Drama, although I don't think the highs are up to that peak.

I think the level of performance and finish is much superior to their last outing, which for me sounds like they devoted too little time to arrangements on the finished album.

For me there are two major arcs to Yes music -one is the musical and spiritual vision of JA, which underpins a lot of the almost single-minded passion and intensity of the music. The second of these is the arrangement and fine-scale performance as well as the thematic material itself. For me personally SH is responsible for the lion's share of that, but others have made remarkable contributions down the years and continue to do so.

The best of Yes needs both, but either independently can still be quite compelling. I think Fly From Here has a fair bit of that brilliance of finish and for that reason it's an album that I haven't become bored of.
Chris1960

Postby Yessong » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:58 pm

I was not a huge fan of Fly From here but if definitely has it's moments. Not to be cruel but after many listenings to Heaven and earth I appreciate Fly From Here MUCH more and really see just how Prog it is
Yessong

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I I agree with you both.
I believe there is more work put into the arrangements on FFH than was on H&E. It holds together as an album much better.

The only part I have severe problems with is Steve's Bumpy Ride.
To me it makes no sense and sounds as if being thrown in for the sake of having a 'proggy' part. I can't believe Steve had nothing better in store.

Drama is one of my favourites and the similarities between the that and Fly From Here are of course obvious since they were written at the same time period.
The subjects of life in the modern world, in Machine Messiah and Tempus Fugit, are summed up in the feeling of alienation in the metaphoric deserted airfield.
Fly From Here also sounds as if the band had more fun recording and playing than Heaven and Earth.

I do hope there is still material left in them to record at least one more great album.
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Chris1960 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:28 pm

For me their last great album was Magnification. I enjoy FFH, but I think they need Jon, Steve and probably Chris to produce their very best. That isn't a plea for the return of Anderson [much as I might see that as an ideal]. You have to be realistic about these things - if for whatever reason the relationship isn't working, a forced reconciliation wouldn't make for good art.

I know what you mean about bumpy ride. It's sort of an 'effects' piece of music and in that regard it works. But it does sound clumsy in parts - although I like the [suggested] rises - over all it does jar a little in the general feeling of the song.

Heaven and Earth has its moments, but they're too few and too far between. Subway Walls is one of the better tracks, but it's only good in parts. I like the opening and I think Steve's Bachian riffs are where the album finally catches alight to some degree. The opener is incredibly thin in arrangement - I've heard some of the material is coming over better live. We can live in hope.
Chris1960

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:00 pm

I liked FFH well enough when it was released, but haven't really listened to it since then. It was released right before Yesfans had a large gathering here in Nashville, so I bought a copy figuring many would not have heard it yet, and we played it in our suite at the gathering several times.

As I recall, "Into the Storm" caught my attention as being the most "Yessy" track on the album. Benoit did a serviceable job on the vocals. Trevor, of course, did an excellent production job. And I thought the cover was one of Roger Dean's better ones. When I bought the album at FYE (before they closed their doors), the salesclerk, a guy about my son's age, was playing it IN the store at the time and said he really liked it. I was hoping it might catch the attention of the younger set.

I haven't yet bought Heaven and Earth due to being out of work, so maybe Santa will provide a copy this year . . . ;) Therefore, I can't compare or speak to that one at all except for the 2 tracks they played in concert, which I thought were well-performed and translated well live.
tardistraveler

Return to Album talk