[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - Your Top Prog Voices!

Your Top Prog Voices!

Your Top Prog Voices!

Postby Roan's Lady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:22 am

Roan's Lady

Re: Your Top Prog Voices!

Postby yesireebob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:17 am

yesireebob

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:02 am

"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"
Tomfoolery

Postby yesireebob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:08 pm

yesireebob

Postby tardistraveler » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 pm

tardistraveler

Postby yesireebob » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:28 pm

yesireebob

Postby N2yes » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:51 am

"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:04 am

Tomfoolery

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:07 am

Tomfoolery

Postby Roan's Lady » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Roan's Lady

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:30 pm

tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:32 pm

tardistraveler

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:39 pm

tardistraveler

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:14 pm

You lot seem to have a well-weird idea of what prog is - so I'll take equal liberty with my own list - although I can't bring myself to imagine how Annie Lennox could fit the category in any way...

1. Freddy Mercury - a peerless voice in terms of sheer power and vocal range and he could be incredibly nuanced too.
2. Jon - has to come second because his voice is more of an equivocal (npi) thing. An acquired taste, but amazing range and clarity and the fact that his songs with Yes have moved me more than anything else.
3. Jeff Buckley - not a massive body of work by any means, but I'd say an awful lot more experimental and adventurous than many of those cited here and powerfully expressive. Many of the EMO bands probably think they're imitating his style. But they're not - most of that stuff sounds like irritating teenage angst to me.
4. Peter Gabriel - technically probably not even as good as Phil Collins [once he'd found his confidence] but compare the latter's 'character' singing to his Genesis predecessor and we're talking about someone in an entirely different league.
5. Annie Haslam - One of those pure English female vocals that just does something to me. Other than saying it's astonishingly beautiful I won't go too closely into what that might be...
6. Maddie Pryor - See above.
7. Kate Bush - Something different again. Incredibly quirky, she has a style all of her own - one that's been very influential on a generation of feamle vocalists.
8. Brian Wilson (& co) - I'm not sure this should be so low down the list - the harmonies hew wrote and performed with The Beach Boys and more latterly The Wondermints (that incredible realisation of Smile) are the most sublime in modern music.
9. David Bowie - one of my favourite artists. Not amongst the best of voices technically but chameleon-like [gosh - that term's never been used before for him, right?] in his range of expressiveness. He can do laconic, sinister, over-wrought... and again from starting off as an Anthony Newley imitator has become one of the most imitated vocals in rock.
10. Matt Bellamy - Have to have my contemporary band faves Muse in there. What an incredibly versatile musician Bellamy is - incredible axe-man, accomplished pianistic and vocal acrobat, whose swoops and dives are totally in service to the music.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby yesireebob » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 pm

yesireebob

Postby Roan's Lady » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:17 pm

Roan's Lady

Postby N2yes » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:07 am

N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Mr. Stout » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:30 am

Mr. Stout

Veteran Member

Location: dividing time between Staten Island N.Y. and Freehold N.J.

Postby sound_chaser » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:57 pm

sound_chaser

Postby the greenman » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:13 pm

I was gonna add Wetton, so I'm glad someone has! not sure about him as a person, tho I think he's mellowed latterly, but his voice..

& it turns up on so many things I like, together with that awesome bass of his.

Just to provide some balance I'll say John Payne too, Downes' erstwhile collaborator in Asia Mk 2 (or was it 3, 4, or 7?)

Phil Collins deserves a mention for his Hackett era Genesis stuff, tho I draw the line beyond '& then there were three.'

Gilmour, of course - has to be on the list..

I'll have to think about the other 5, because of course at No. 1, without question, in this unbiased poll of polls is 'our Jon'!!

Marc

[:idr]
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby N2yes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:50 am

One might consider Jon as assuming the no. 1 pole position, but apparently he's second as much as 1st. There was a time, though...
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Wakemaniac » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:06 am

Wakemaniac

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:16 pm

1.Jon Anderson
2.Peter Gabriel
3.(caravan)[/color]
[color=#ffffff]4.David Gilmour

5.Annie Haslam
6.Kerry Minnear (Gentle Giant)
7.Greg Lake
8.John Wetton
9. (weird voice but i like it for some reason)[/color]
[color=#ffffff]10.Ian Anderson
Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby happytheman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:08 am

I'm glad someone threw in Richard Sinclair, I would also add Andy Latimer (Camel). Something about those "Canterbury" groups you just gotta love them.
happytheman

Charter Member

Postby bundy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:13 pm

My top 10 prog vocalists in random order

Freddie Mercury
David Surkamp (Pavlov's Dog)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
Demis Rousoss (Aphrodite's Child)
Jon Anderson
Franceso Di Giacomo (Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso)
Mr. Dr. (Devil Doll)
Richard Sinclair (Camel / Caravan)
Sylvia Ericsen (White Willow)
Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)
bundy

Starship Trooper

Postby thehallway » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:49 pm

Surely Freddie Mercury isn't prog? Or does this thread include opera rock :icon_wink

David Gilmour and the late Rick Wright harmonised together very well in Pink Floyd, as of course, did Anderson and Squire (Not so much Howe though, his singing leaves alot to be desired). Ian Anderson has interesting vocal qualities as well.

I still think Robert Plant is best.
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby the greenman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:04 pm

the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:58 am

Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:42 pm

I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby Coffee_&_Cigarettes » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:19 pm

Coffee_&_Cigarettes

Veteran Member

Next

Return to Alternate Tunes