[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - Anyone Read Music Books?

Anyone Read Music Books?

Anyone Read Music Books?

Postby tribute1969 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:30 am

Here are two I recently read..

There's a $5000 reward if you win "The Great American Tush" contest.
There is a concert goer featured several times in the book who is yet to be identified....If you can "prove" who's tush it is, you win $5000....

and this one full of great road trip antics ideas from
our favorite keyboardist..Rick Wakeman..

I'm trying the fart baggie trick "Soon"....
WAR IS OVER! IF YOU WANT IT!
John and Yoko Ono Lennon-1969
WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969...
Hotel California
tribute1969

Starship Trooper

Re: Anyone Read Music Books?

Postby the greenman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Geoff Docherty's 'The Promoters Tale' is quite an interesting tale of life how it was for a promoter in the North East of England in the 60s & 70s.

the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:44 pm

I liked Genesis I Know What I Like, published in '80.
[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby yesireebob » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:41 am

I liked the book published last year, Grumpy Old Rock Star.
yesireebob

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

tardistraveler

Postby the greenman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:29 pm

the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 am

Last music book I read was David Quantick's The White Album which is a witty and insightful look at the period and events around, as well as the music of the Fab's eponymous album. Quantick's favourite, but certainly not mine - for instance his opinion on O-Bla-Di-O-Bla-Da "If you do not like this song, you are an enemy of life and joy - you may be Lou Reed". Well I'm not Lou Reed, but he goes on to say "You may also be a Beatle", since apparently, McCartney aside, by the time they came to cut the number they all hated it.

It didn't take me that long... On the other hand I can hardly condemn McCartney as he also contributes 'Blackbird' - which for my dosh is possibly the finest 'simple' song of its era.

All that aside, I'd heartily recommend this book to any fan of the Beatles music or even student of the history of the era.
I used to be agnostic. These days I'm not so sure.
Chris2210

Postby the greenman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:27 pm

I remember the 'let it be' film & I think it was John saying 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer, eh? Really scraping the barrel now..'

& I always liked the way that the day after Paul is seen taking control & lecturing George about how he wants a particular bit played (to which George says 'I'll play what you want me to play, or I wont play at all, I dont care..' in his scousy accent), he comes in with 'I, Me Me, Mine'.

Funny with all the re-masters & re-issues, the let it be film remains untouched.

ah Pauly, we love you really!
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Chris2210 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Chris2210

Postby the greenman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:10 pm

I quite like the 'growliness' of Come Together - 'here cum ol' flat top' etc.. to my mind there are some 'raw' elements in those last Beatle albums that paved the way for the birth of 'heavy metal'. Still that's way off topic..

I have a copy of Leggy Mountbatten's 'Cellarful of Goys' by my bed, no I mean the real - and stunningly thin - biog by Epstein of his life with the Fabs.. It's a curiousity read..
the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby 2Lizard4 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:38 am

perigee3
2Lizard4

Charter Member

Postby Chris2210 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Chris2210

Postby the greenman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 pm

the greenman

Veteran Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:08 pm

[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:14 pm

tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:48 pm

thehallway

Charter Member

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:31 pm

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 pm

tardistraveler

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:18 pm

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:55 pm

tardistraveler

Postby thehallway » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Is it possible to fill 200 pages with details on just two tours?
thehallway

Charter Member

Postby guilddigger » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:53 pm

"Australia we're leaving you behind."
I'm sure there is lots to tell, even from only two tours!

If you are into Neil Young I can recommend 'Shakey', a very in-depth biography that when it was published Young threatened to sue the author, even though he seems to have let him get very close during the interviews.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Relayer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 pm

I am quite fond of the writings of Neil Peart, in particular "Ghost Rider" and "Roadshow",
also there is one book in particular that I think every musician/artist/.....well anyone who
who enjoys expressing themselves should check out called "The Inner Game of Music" by
Barry Green.
Relayer

Starship Trooper

Postby tardistraveler » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:24 pm

tardistraveler

Postby acanais45 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:50 am

acanais45

Postby WillTruman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 am

WillTruman