[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
YEStalk Discussion Forums • View topic - My new homepage

My new homepage

My new homepage

Postby Coalesce » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:10 am

I just created my new homepage at http://homepage.mac.com/coalescestudiony/Menu1.html.

Come on by and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Michael

<hr>Like the time I ran away, turned around and you were standing close to me...
Coalesce

Veteran Member

Postby fragilesi » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:08 am

Not bad at all, definitely a range of influences including of course Mr Dean, I really liked The Storm for some reason.

For anyone else, the following link should get you to the site as the one above doesn't work . . .

Cheers, Simon.
fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby guilddigger » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:26 am

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>they are all very nice. very nice indeed!
'the ancient' as well as in 'the storm', is dramatic and there is a motion or speed, for want of a better word, that is very captivating.
'the path' has a slight resemblance to the 'relayer' cover, if you want to look for a dean resemblance, which is a constant problem for creative artists. there is always somebody who will claim that they see 'an original' behind your work.
very nice indeed! i applaud you!

</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

<hr>"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges
guilddigger

Starship Trooper

Postby Coalesce » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:13 am

Most perceptive, as I took my inspiration from the Relayer cover for The Path, not only in terms of compsition, but in the use of a monochromatic palette.

You're both right in that I draw a lot of inspiration from Roger Dean, but the one I would like to emulate most is Maxfield Parrish. Not in terms of subject matter, but in terms of his delicate touch and his palette, which is something I haven't achieved yet. The good thing is that I have the next 40 years or so to work at it.

Thanks for all the kind words so far.

Michael

<hr>Like the time I ran away, turned around and you were standing close to me...
Coalesce

Veteran Member

Postby stevehoweistheMAN » Thu May 13, 2004 6:12 am

cool!!!!

<hr>There's the Father, the Son, and the Holy Howe!
stevehoweistheMAN

Charter Member

Postby wild_westie » Fri May 21, 2004 12:41 pm

Might I commission you sell me some of your work? I likeee a lot.
I collect orginal art work.
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

Postby Coalesce » Tue May 25, 2004 6:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
<b>wild_westie wrote:</b>
Might I commission you sell me some of your work? I likeee a lot.
I collect orginal art work.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></font id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>

Thanks, I greatly appreciate the sentment.

What did you have in mind?

Michael

Coalesce

Veteran Member

Postby wild_westie » Thu May 27, 2004 11:56 pm

I really love the following pieces: The Decision; The Cubes; Winter Jug; The Horizon; Favorite Time 1,2,3. Shall I go broke? LOL.
wild_westie

Starship Trooper

Postby Coalesce » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
<b>wild_westie wrote:</b>
I really love the following pieces: The Decision; The Cubes; Winter Jug; The Horizon; Favorite Time 1,2,3. Shall I go broke? LOL.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></font id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote>

No need for that (and my apologies for getting back to this so late)!

If you want, let me know what you had in mind, and if it's something I think I can do, we'll work something out, I'm sure.

Michael

Coalesce

Veteran Member

Postby Coalesce » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:25 am

I've added three more images to my Homepage that I would like all of you to see. "The Reckoning" is from 2002, "The Guide" and "The Golem Goes Camping" are both new.

http://homepage.mac.com/coalescestudiony/Menu1.html

Enjoy!

Michael

Coalesce

Veteran Member

Postby Coalesce » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:45 am

I've added a new three-part series to my homepage called The Aqueduct(s) 1, 2 & 3.

Come by and see them at .

Thanks!

Michael
Like the time I ran away, turned around and you were standing close to me...
Coalesce

Veteran Member

Awsome work!!

Postby Squire*Fan725 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:44 pm

[CENTER][color=navy][/color][/CENTER]
Squire*Fan725

Starship Trooper

Postby topographic_drama1980 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:32 am

topographic_drama1980

Starship Trooper

Postby coalescestudionyc » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:09 am

It's been quite a while, and I doubt anyone was keeping score at home, but I just finished another update of the page. I eliminated a few of them (the 3-part Aqueduct series), revised a few (The Storm, The Stage, Lauren's Mountain) and added a few (Lunchtime, The Guardian, The Way Home, Night Lights, The Buoys, Good Morning). Enjoy!

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby fragilesi » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:18 pm

Michael, it's still nice work, do you draw all this from scratch or do you use photographic elements as a base for some of them?

You're also demonstrating an additional dimension of computer art . . . the artist can rework and improve his masterpiece. It's a double edged sword but I wonder what some of the great paintings would have looked like had the artist been able to revisit them in such a fashion?
fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby Kalingzeye » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:52 pm

Ahhh, how'd I miss this topic?! Your site is beautiful!!! Very Mac-ish (which I love). And your art is awesome! The Stage and The Cubes are my favourites... so mystical! :D Wow, I don't know how I missed this... Great, great work! :eek: Is that Photoshop you use? :p
Kalingzeye

Postby Roan's Lady » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:10 pm

Roan's Lady

Postby coalescestudionyc » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:09 am

Thank you all!

Fragilesi: yes, it's almost all freehand. The only times I use photos are when I did the tigers. The tiger from Romeo & Juliet was taken from an old ad and the tiger from Lunchtime was from a nature magazine. In both instances, I scanned in the images, made them a separate layer in the Photoshop document and painted over them. Other times, I may do the outline of a structure in Illustrator, place it in the file on its own layer and add detail over it. You're also quite right about the computer being a double-edged sword. It does afford me the opportunity to go back and rework a lot of things, especially as I get more adept at my work. But then again, if a year or so down the road I want to rework something, I never have to worry about mixing the colors exactly again because in every painting I do, there's one layer that I devote to just solid color samples--a palette. That way, the colors are always the same.

Kalingzeye: With the exception of two pieces, it's all Photoshop, the finest program ever devised, all done on my Mac, the finest platform available (flame away--I can take it!) Photoshop allows me so much rope to hang myself with that it's sometimes overwhelming. It's not uncommon for my work to have anywhere between 40 and 70 layers because I can become...how do you say...a tad bit obsessive about things. One tip: when using type in Photoshop, make sure you outline the fonts before sending it to the printer, so you or the service bureau doesn't get a Postscript error when trying to print. Also, if you use layers, save one version of the file as a layered PSD file, the flatten it and Save As a TIF file to send out. And if you really want to learn at the feet of the master, check out Bert Monroy.

Roan's Lady: I applaud your good taste!

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby fragilesi » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:35 pm

All freehand? That is impressive, I just don't have the "art" in me to do that. Just about evrything I ever produce in Photoshop has to be based on something that exists because the circuitry between hand an eye doesn't have the necessary software.

Part of the reason I said "double edged" and mentioned the thought of remade classics etc was that maybe the updates wouldn't be so good (I'm not referring to your work by the way!) What if the artist themselves hadn't seen what others had in the work. What if their own inspiration escaped them when they came back to it. Imagine the scene . . .

Mrs Da Vinci (bear with me :) ), "Dear, that smile isn't quite right"
Leanardo "Yes, it is a bit odd, maybe I'll change it . . ."

Then again, with Photoshop you can keep the original too I guess but you probably wouldn't show it . . .

I've often wondered what "Yes" would do if someone said, go re-record "Close to the Edge" and improve it. Maybe they would come up with something better but I'd put money on most of us preferring the original.
fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby coalescestudionyc » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:33 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby Roan's Lady » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:41 am

Roan's Lady

Postby coalescestudionyc » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:12 pm

coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

A Cure For Insomnia

Postby coalescestudionyc » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:14 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby Kalingzeye » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:38 am

Kalingzeye

Postby coalescestudionyc » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:20 am

You really want to know? Well, OK, but remember, I generally do things that take 40 steps when 5 will work--which is why most of my work has anywhere between 40 and 80 layers. The topmost layer is the Palette layer, which contains a solid sample of all the colors I want to use in a particular painting.

The Path consisted of four layers. The first layer was the Path drawn with the texture already added. Normally, I would just add a Photoshop texture over it, but then the texture wouldn't appear in perspective. In other words, when you have a shape that has a texture to it and you try and use the Perspective Transform tool, the shape will be altered to the perspective you want, but the texture won't be foreshortened the same way. So instead, I cheated. I made a separate Photoshop document, filled it with a sold brown color, added the texture, clicked out of Photoshop without closing the document so the image appeared on my desktop and then took a screenshot (Command-Shift-3 on the Mac--I don't know the PC equivalent) of the document. That screenshot file is automatically saved on the desktop, which I then opened in Photoshop and placed it in The Cloud document as a separate layer (Layer 1). I altered the perspective to my liking and made sure that I had clean, sharp edges all around the Path. This is important because as I lay other layers on top of this one, I need clean, sharp edges with which to use the Magic Wand tool to edit things out that I don't want. It is a Normal layer with 100% Opacity. It also has a Bevel and Emboss feature.

The next layer is the Path Highlight layer (Layer 2). This has the yellow highlight on the rightmost edge. I used a broad brush and didn't care how far over the rightmost edge the yellow went because once I was satisfied I got the direction and opacity correct, I used the Magic Wand tool on Layer 1 to select everything outside of the Path. With that selection made, I went to Layer 2 and used the Inverse command (Command-I) to reverse the selection made in Layer 1. Hit Delete and all the yellow that ran outside the Path borders will be deleted. It is a Screen Layer with 100% Opacity and no Bevel and Emboss feature.

The third topmost layer is the Noise layer (Layer 3), which is a duplicate of Layer 1 with Noise added. It is a Luminosity layer with 24% Opacity and no Bevel and Emboss feature.

The fourth Layer is the Path Water Shadow (Layer 4). This is a duplicate of Layer 1 but instead of brown, I used the Paintbucket to fill in a blue color for the shadow. I moved the Layer down so that it would appear to be below and to the left of the Path and the used a slight Gaussian blur to soften it up, probably a 5 or 10 Gaussian blur. I then gently erased part of the furthest part of the shadow so it would look like it was gradually tapering off in the distance. It is a Difference Layer with 81% Opacity and no Bevel and Emboss. All four layers were then Locked together.

This feels like it took me longer to explain it than to figure it out, but then again, brevity was never my forté. I hope this helps and didn't put you to sleep.

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby Kalingzeye » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:48 am

Wow! Thanks for the explanation- it wasn't too long, it made perfect sense! Yeah, I myself have a habit of doing strange roundabout ways of doing things in PS. It's all good. Very nice use of the PrintScreen, lol! Love that thing.
Kalingzeye

Postby coalescestudionyc » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:49 am

Kalingzeye:

I made one mistake in my Inverse direction for Layer 2. Instead of Command-I, it should be Command-Shift-I. Sorry 'bout that, Chief.

And here's a great site for free Photoshop brushes:

Michael
coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby coalescestudionyc » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:55 am

coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:43 am

[CENTER][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby coalescestudionyc » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:04 pm

coalescestudionyc

Veteran Member

Return to YesArt