Who Is Your 2nd Favorite?

Moderator: N2yes

Who Is Your 2nd Favorite?

Postby YesFan01 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:09 pm

This may have been asked before, but I've never seen it......
I'm assuming that Yes is your favorite group.....who is your 2nd favorite? And what is your favorite album by them?

Mine is Genesis - Lamb Lies Down

????
YesFan01

Postby N2yes » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:56 pm

RUSH------COUNTERPARTS
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby Kalingzeye » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:50 pm

Older band: Led Zeppelin --- Led Zeppelin II ♥
Newer band: The Scissor Sisters ♥

:p
Kalingzeye

Postby tardistraveler » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 pm

Back in the 70's, my "Holy Trinity" of prog were Yes, Genesis (with Gabriel), and Jethro Tull. I also LOVED Hendrix, Led Zep, the Stones, the Doors, CSN(Y), and Renaissance. Yes was my favorite, but when I wasn't listening to them, it was one of these other bands.

Today I'm very much into Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. Which one would be second to Yes varies by the day! LOVE them both!
tardistraveler

Postby john mccleary » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:35 am

Rush Roll the bones.I saw the tour in Dallas.SWEET. :)
john mccleary

Veteran Member

Postby Roan's Lady » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:58 am

YesFan01 wrote:This may have been asked before, but I've never seen it......
I'm assuming that Yes is your favorite group.....who is your 2nd favorite? And what is your favorite album by them?

Mine is Genesis - Lamb Lies Down

????

Currently, I don't really have a favorite group. Historically speaking, Yes is first, Genesis second as well! My favorite Genesis album is Selling England...followed closely by Foxtrot. :)
Roan's Lady

Postby IGSXIII » Tue May 15, 2007 7:31 am

Tough question :confused: , but I'd have to go with King Crimson or Mahavishnu Orchestra!
IGSXIII

Postby khalpin » Wed May 16, 2007 5:15 pm

It's a tough choice, but I'll have to go with Dream Theater.

I think Scenes From A Memory is the best album that came out of the 90s. And they're very fan friendly: fan clubs with fan club CDs & DVDs, a message board where the drummer actively posts and replies to other people's posts, encourages taping/bootleg trading, DVDs with audio commentary(how many other bands do that?), rotating setlists, prog cover tunes, affordable ticket prices, the list goes on and on.

Oh yeah, and they're all incredible musicians, too.
khalpin

Starship Trooper

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Wed May 16, 2007 8:49 pm

Either Genesis, Led Zep.....actually getting tired of classic rock and prog........I wonder is there is any new music out there by new groups that are not ripping off the old Masters....? :rolleyes: :mad:
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Undecided..

Postby Mr. Stout » Thu May 17, 2007 3:30 pm

That`s a tough one. I dont have favorite bands per se, but I do have favorite albums. Obvioulsy, Close to the Edge will rank first and possibly, In the Court of the crimson King will rank second. In no way shape or form does this mean I enjoy all of the work of King Crimson. I`m not keen on Adrian Belew.
Mr. Stout

Veteran Member

Location: dividing time between Staten Island N.Y. and Freehold N.J.

Postby fragilesi » Sun May 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Rush . . . which album I don't know though, they are all just so good.

I have plenty of other favourites, but these two have always been head and shoulders above the rest for me.
fragilesi

Starship Trooper

Postby Lyth » Mon May 28, 2007 9:02 pm

Rush (equal with Yes).

As regard a favourite album, I really couldn't say - there are at least 5 albums that I rate equally highly.
Lyth

Charter Member

Postby Dr_Yes » Tue May 29, 2007 11:08 am

Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun/In Absentia (tied)
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]
Dr_Yes

Postby child-of-the-light » Wed May 30, 2007 1:19 am

I can't believe I'm not seeing ELP!
Brain Salad Surgery for sure.
Ride the tides of faith
child-of-the-light

Veteran Member

Postby stinky britches » Wed May 30, 2007 11:45 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Back in the 70's, my "Holy Trinity" of prog were Yes, Genesis (with Gabriel), and Jethro Tull. I also LOVED Hendrix, Led Zep, the Stones, the Doors, CSN(Y), and Renaissance. Yes was my favorite, but when I wasn't listening to them, it was one of these other bands.

Today I'm very much into Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. Which one would be second to Yes varies by the day! LOVE them both!
Marry Me! :D ;)
stinky britches

Postby stinky britches » Wed May 30, 2007 11:47 pm

IGSXIII wrote:Tough question :confused: , but I'd have to go with King Crimson or Mahavishnu Orchestra!
I think I'd probably have go with Crimson
stinky britches

Postby N2yes » Thu May 31, 2007 3:05 pm

COL....ELP was definitely one of the greats, no question. BRAIN SALAD SURGERY remains on my top ten list. A truly unique effort! "Jerusalem" always sets the tone for me.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"
N2yes

Starship Trooper

Postby proghead » Thu May 31, 2007 5:36 pm

Yes is my favorite and then I have 50 bands that are tied for 2nd place.
Progressive will never be a popular form of music simply due to the fact that the average person has a 'attention span' of less than three minutes with a simple beat.
proghead

Veteran Member

Postby Greenglade's Frog » Thu May 31, 2007 7:39 pm

Actually getting into 70's Euro b-movie sountrack music and not bands now like:
Vampyros Lesbos -- Sexadelic Dance Party Manfred Hubler & Sigi Schwab

I download a lot of other stuff, don't even know the artists, but like Morricone soundtracks and Italian Beatta cine type music to films in giallo genre

Bruno Nicolai also wrote a lot of great soundtracks.
[CENTER][font=Arial][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/font][/CENTER]
Greenglade's Frog

Starship Trooper

Postby Ed1909 » Thu May 31, 2007 11:11 pm

Mostly Autumn

Album choice: "The Last Bright Light"
High vibration go on...
Ed1909

Starship Trooper

Postby CTTEfan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:04 pm

My favorites are always in a state of perpetual change, but for the past couple of years my second favorite band has been The Tangent. Their music has all of the same elements that I adore about Yes - extended songs, changing rhythms, excellent musicianship, great vocals, etc. If anyone out there has not had a chance to hear these guys I'd recommend you take the time to check them out. I think you'll love 'em.
CTTEfan

Postby yesman90125 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:49 pm

my favorites are in fux too
right now its porcupine tree -stupid dream
yesman90125

Starship Trooper

Postby Stace » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:30 pm

It's hard to single out any one band as second favorite, so these are my "seconds": Steely Dan, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Camel, Gryphon, Elp, Pink FLoyd,and Genesis. If you've never heard them check out Camel's "Moonmadness" and "The Snow Goose", the're great!!

Stace [:idr]
Stace

Postby Yesola » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:42 pm

I have always considered Yes/ Beatles to be holding my personal top spot, simultaneously if that’s possible. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com :o ffice :o ffice" /><o :p ></o :p >
<o :p > </o :p >
Then any one of these could be my second fav at any given time: Genesis, Gentle Giant, King Crimson.
Yesola

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:55 am

Long ago, and far away, it would have been ELP neck and neck with Yes, but Emerson and company have faded quite a bit.

If we're talking current favs, it would have to be Tori Amos and/or Rush. I've never seen Tori, but I've seen Rush something like 10 times, second only to Yes, and I will see them at least twice this summer.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Postby Roan's Lady » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Thoughtbecontact wrote:Long ago, and far away, it would have been ELP neck and neck with Yes, but Emerson and company have faded quite a bit.

If we're talking current favs, it would have to be Tori Amos and/or Rush. I've never seen Tori, but I've seen Rush something like 10 times, second only to Yes, and I will see them at least twice this summer.

I hope you have the opportunity to see Tori, Arlene. I know you're a big fan. The couple of times I've seen her live were just fantastic - she's a great performer who absolutely owns the stage.

I've never seen Rush - they're not among my favorites, but I do like a lot of their material. I hear their show is excellent!
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari
Roan's Lady

Postby Thoughtbecontact » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:56 am

Roan's Lady wrote:I hope you have the opportunity to see Tori, Arlene. I know you're a big fan. The couple of times I've seen her live were just fantastic - she's a great performer who absolutely owns the stage.

I've never seen Rush - they're not among my favorites, but I do like a lot of their material. I hear their show is excellent!

Come hell or high water, I will see Tori on this tour. In some ways, I can't believe I've never seen her perform live. My husband never liked her material enough to go see her with me, and I always had a hard time finding people who liked the same music, until I joined these crazy forums a few years ago. The last time around in 2005, I couldn't find anyone to go with me--it wasn't that no one was interested--rather it was people had other commitments on both dates when she was in Chicago. Really bad timing for me, and I simply wasn't brave enough at that point to go it alone. Now I don't care. I went twice liast year to concerts all by my little lonesome. It's definitely not as fun, but it's sure a lot better than missing an act you really want to see.
AWAKEN/GENTLE/MASS/TOUCH
Thoughtbecontact

Veteran Member

Re: Who Is Your 2nd Favorite?

Postby Awakeman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:35 pm

Been listening for a long time, but today is another brand new day and I love. 'My Morning Jacket'.Album 'Z'.
Doug Symonds
Awakeman

Postby Awakeman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:52 pm

"There is a ton of good new progresive music,check Mercury Rev, The Flaming Lips,Augie March,Arcade Fire,Joanna Newsom.
Check out Bob's guitar on 'Modern Times,or better still go see him live.After 40 years on the road he is one of the most mathmaticly correct players i've ever heard.
Doug Symonds
Awakeman

Postby yesireebob » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:14 pm

Thoughtbecontact wrote:Come hell or high water, I will see Tori on this tour. In some ways, I can't believe I've never seen her perform live. My husband never liked her material enough to go see her with me, and I always had a hard time finding people who liked the same music, until I joined these crazy forums a few years ago. The last time around in 2005, I couldn't find anyone to go with me--it wasn't that no one was interested--rather it was people had other commitments on both dates when she was in Chicago. Really bad timing for me, and I simply wasn't brave enough at that point to go it alone. Now I don't care. I went twice liast year to concerts all by my little lonesome. It's definitely not as fun, but it's sure a lot better than missing an act you really want to see.

I saw Tori open for Alanis Morrissette back in 1998 or 99. It was at America West Arena or whatever they call it these days, and the acoustics were awful, especially for Tori's set. Alanis was better, she must have had better sound people. But Tori was great and I would go see her again in a heartbeat. I, too, have done solo concerts and have had a great time. You are, after all, surrounded by fellow fans, and you are more likely to initiate conversations with them if you are by yourself. I have met some cool people that way. And you can cut out early if you feel like it, or stay really late after the concert, without inconveniencing anyone.
yesireebob

Next

Return to YEStalk