Steve Howe's Guitar Tree

A meeting place for musicians who like to play YES music. Consider yourself in the right place if you're looking for YES tabs, pointers and technique. It's all right here.
child-of-the-light
Veteran Member

Steve Howe's Guitar Tree

Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:59 pm

...if that's whats it's really called. The one he uses to old up a guitar so he can switch instruments faster. I want one!

I've seen Alex Lifeson and the guy from Kansas use it also, and my friend said he has seen Steve Vai use it, but I can't find one anywhere. Has aybody used or owned one? What it it really called? Where can I get one? I completely screwed up a show the other night because I didn't switch from the 12 string to the electric fast enough when I was playing 'All Good People'.
Ride the tides of faith

Dr_Yes

Re: Steve Howe's Guitar Tree

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi,

I used something like you're after in my Yes tribute. I'm not saying it's like Steve uses now (I think he's got an attachment on the pedal steel for the Line6 Variax) but it's a stand that I had a 12-string acoustic mounted on for exactly the situation you mention (see photo).

I bought it at a retailers in 2000 for £80 ($160). Not sure if they still make them or what they're called (guitar mount?). Mine was made by MBrace I think. It kind of looks like a drummer's cymbol stand (ie it's a tripod at the bottom) with an attachment on it on which an acoustic can sit (you can just see one edge of this in the attached picture). You can alter the height, angle/tilt and pitch (forward/back) of it and it's very useful indeed. The guitar is then fixed by a kind of G-clamp system that braces it front and back (you can see the front one in the picture with the kind of orangey rubber end to protect the front of the guitar).

I just found this - it may help!

http://www.theguitarfiles.com/modules.p ... a9c426db10

Cheers

Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

child-of-the-light
Veteran Member

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:38 pm

Thank you so much for that link. I just ordered it, and I'm sure it will be worth the investment. It should also allow me to play my acoustics that dont have pickups, as they will be perfectly still and easy to mic.
This is going to create so many musical opportunities, I can hear it already. Thanks again!
Ride the tides of faith

Dr_Yes

Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:36 am

You're welcome.

Hope you have fun with it.

Dave.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]