Is the electric guitar essentially dead?

A meeting place for musicians who like to play YES music. Consider yourself in the right place if you're looking for YES tabs, pointers and technique. It's all right here.
Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:00 am

Don't get me wrong, I still like electric guitar, but I think, in general, all shades and variations of this instrument have been explored.

I was listening to some classic rock radio stations today, which I do less of because I am sick of the songs, and I thought that the electric guitar is just sort of becoming outmoded. Maybe, electric guitar-based music is on the outs.

As incorporated into a song that doesn't really showcase the instrument, it will surive, I suppose.

I mean, another pentatonic scale with squealing lead or bashed power chord or arpeggiated chord or fast lead?
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Terry Shea
Charter Member

Re: Is the electric guitar essentially dead?

Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:07 pm

Dead? Certainly not. Unfortunately many "musical" styles have developed that either don't utilize electric guitar or under-utilize it. The fact is many "modern musical" styles don't use any real instruments. Just bang a few trash cans and rhyme your swear words loudly and you can be a rap star! Electronica is mainly computer generated and much of it couldn't be played if real instruments had to be used. That doesn't necessarily make it good though.
My personal myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/terryshea
My music myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/ahdubicke
Ignore the problem and it will go away.-some dead moron

child-of-the-light
Veteran Member

Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:57 pm

I guess we have kind of reached a plateua when it comes to exploring new sounds on the electric guitar. It's definately not dead though. There will always be new ways of playing and sounding. Jon's MIDI guitar is the perfect example.
Ride the tides of faith

yesman90125
Starship Trooper

Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:38 pm

there's room for electric Guitar still today.
I've incorperated it into electronica and into Rap (rather painstakingly I'll admit).
the nature of the instrument allows for plenty of room for experimentation.
that being said I do agree that Electric guitar is underutilized in a great deal of modern music.
the perception that all you can do with it is blast through arpeggios and Power chords is the very philosiphy that creates and atmosphere
where People might think that the instrument is not relevant.
fortunatly there are a select few out there still experimanting
and those that are rediscovering the instrument.
to me with midi and guitar synths. the end is listless.

Greenglade's Frog
Starship Trooper

Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Maybe I am tired of hearing electric guitar music. I like other tones and orchestration and other instruments more and more. Sort of OD'd on electric guitar some times...

An album like Vangelis stuff is totaly guitar bereft, and I like it .
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Dr_Yes

Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:55 pm

I suppose its a cyclical thing. The electric guitar needs to be refreshed and re-invented on a fairly regualr basis and thankfully in many respects it is.

The English band Muse's guitarist is IMO helping expand the sonic possiblities of the guitar at the moment with his MIDI-synth pad guitars and onboard FX like the Z-Vex theramin. I am not for a minute suggesting that it's never been done before but Matt Bellamy is very good at using technology to widen the palette of the guitar in a modern format.

I also admire guitarists like Steve Wilson (Porcupine Tree) who are textural in the way they see the guitar. He's very much into heavy guitar sounds at the moment - lots of dropped D and even dropped C tunings that are used to great effect on the Fear of a Blank Planet album.

But yes, I agree that there are many copycat clones out there and many cliches. Having lived through the electric widdle-fest that was the 1980s I just don't think it's a new thing. The guitar does seem to re-invent itself from time to time - thankfully. And new technolgoy is helping at the moment.
[CENTER]Monkey Funch World - The Home of Monkey Magic:
www.myspace.com/monkeyfunch

www.monkeyfunch.com[/CENTER]

john mccleary
Veteran Member

Wed May 07, 2008 1:42 pm

No Maybe it has faded away a little but to me it will never die out. :) .