This and That IV

Play some games, tell some jokes, and have some fun here!
yesireebob

Re: This and That IV

Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Read. Fiction or nonfiction?

tardistraveler

Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:16 pm

Usually fiction, although I've been known to dig into both . . . ;)

And in the confusion a few posts back, the question about the best 90's Batman went by the wayside, so I'll pose it again . . .

Best 90's Batman - Michael Keaton or George Clooney?

Tomfoolery

Fri May 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Michael Keaton - those eyes through the mask... whoa.

Outdoor Passtimes - crowded festivals / venues or quiet solitude either by yourself or with someone special?
"The word is love and the time is now, and it's right for me"

tardistraveler

Fri May 01, 2009 8:18 pm

Both - I enjoy music festivals, Renaissance festivals, stuff like that, and of course, it's always fun to just commune with nature solo, or with good company . . . ;)

Outdoor or indoor concerts?

yesireebob

Sat May 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Depends. In Phoenix in the summer, definitely indoor!

yesireebob

Sat May 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Depends. In Phoenix, in the summer definitely indoor!

Better seats not together, or seats together but not as good?

tardistraveler

Tue May 05, 2009 5:08 pm

Overall, I'd say better seats not together, but it might depend on who I'm going with, and just how important the band is to me.

Are you a sucker for the merchandise tables, or do you avoid them?

Haze
Charter Member

Tue May 05, 2009 9:54 pm

tardistraveler wrote:Are you a sucker for the merchandise tables, or do you avoid them?

I avoid them! Mainly because I think they'll probably take too much money off you.. :)

Here's a question I always been wondering about: Do you prefer the two hour concerts, with one break in the middle, or the (close to) four hour ones?

yesireebob

Sun May 10, 2009 3:30 am

The longer the better! The intermissions are kind of disruptive, what with everyone leaving their seats, standing in line for more drinks and then shuffling back in spilling things, etc.

General admission, or assigned seats?

Tomfoolery

Mon May 11, 2009 11:32 am

When I was younger, it was general admission - now, I prefer the reserved seating...

On the concert topic, large arenas or smaller, more intimate venues?

yesireebob

Wed May 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Smaller venues

Opening act(s), or just the main attraction?

Haze
Charter Member

Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 am

yesireebob wrote:Opening act(s), or just the main attraction?
Just the main attraction! Having payed to see them I don't wanna be disturbed by these (usually) local acts not even close to the reason why I'm there!

Bringing the evening to a close. When you leave: Running out after the last official encore - or hanging on in hope of an extra extra song?

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Thu May 14, 2009 10:27 am

Hanging on in hope (or in vain...).

Earbursting loud or comfortable volume?
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

tardistraveler

Thu May 14, 2009 5:51 pm

guilddigger wrote:Hanging on in hope (or in vain...).

Earbursting loud or comfortable volume?
I'm cool with loud, as long as it doesn't distort . . . :cool:

Although I DO find that as I get older, I prefer to wear some earplugs if I know it's going to be REALLY loud!

Are you tired after a concert evening, or on "concert high", ready to roll all night!

yesireebob

Fri May 15, 2009 4:17 pm

Both! Tired but too amped up to sleep. And paying for it the next day... which is why as I get older I really don't like mid-week concerts. That is, until I retire and make a second career out of going to concerts. ; )

If you missed the tour, concert DVD or live CD recording?

tardistraveler

Fri May 15, 2009 6:51 pm

yesireebob wrote:Both! Tired but too amped up to sleep. And paying for it the next day... which is why as I get older I really don't like mid-week concerts. That is, until I retire and make a second career out of going to concerts. ; )

If you missed the tour, concert DVD or live CD recording?

Both! :D

I enjoy watching the concert on the TV, and listening to the show in the car!

Will you travel to see concerts, or just go to ones in/near your home town?

Haze
Charter Member

Sat May 16, 2009 12:42 am

tardistraveler wrote:Will you travel to see concerts, or just go to ones in/near your home town?
Travel!

By necessity, living in the north of Sweden, I usually have to travel a bit to see my favourite artists. Sometimes even abroad.. Having said that; my other musical Gods, Jethro Tull, actually played in my hometown a couple of years ago! I wonder if I could convince YES to do the same? :D

Before a concert: Do you repeatedly listen to the artists earlier work on CD/DVD to get in the mood - or do you choose other music or silence to heighten the expectation of the coming experience?

Roan's Lady

Sat May 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Haze wrote:Travel!

By necessity, living in the north of Sweden, I usually have to travel a bit to see my favourite artists. Sometimes even abroad.. Having said that; my other musical Gods, Jethro Tull, actually played in my hometown a couple of years ago! I wonder if I could convince YES to do the same? :D

Before a concert: Do you repeatedly listen to the artists earlier work on CD/DVD to get in the mood - or do you choose other music or silence to heighten the expectation of the coming experience?
I listen to the particular artist up until a few days before the show. Then it's other music (I can never have "silence"! :) ) to inspire that exact heightened anticipation you mention.

Why are Swedish musicians so good at their craft? ;)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

guilddigger
Starship Trooper

Sun May 17, 2009 11:10 am

Children in Sweden have the opportunity to learn to play an instrument in the communal music school for free.
That could be the reason.
"heaven is all around translated to sound" - michael hedges

Roan's Lady

Sun May 17, 2009 7:28 pm

guilddigger wrote:Children in Sweden have the opportunity to learn to play an instrument in the communal music school for free.
Really? How excellent. :)
hope's as high as the sun today...
~moon safari

Haze
Charter Member

Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 am

Roan's Lady wrote:IWhy are Swedish musicians so good at their craft? ;)
guilddigger wrote:Children in Sweden have the opportunity to learn to play an instrument in the communal music school for free.

Yeah, this and maybe the fact that the long, cold and dark winter nights give us plenty of time to rehearse? Having said that; my daughter was born on the 21st of september. Counting backwards... Well, you figure it out: The darkest night of the year! ;)

Moving along... (quickly :) )

Do you prefer a documentary about a specific band or a movie portraying the bands life with actors?

yesireebob

Tue May 26, 2009 5:58 am

Documentary with real band members. Notable exceptions, Oliver Stone's The Doors, Walk the Line, and Coal Miner's Daughter.

Along the same lines, in version with actors, do you prefer them to sing the material themselves or lip sync to original material?

tardistraveler

Thu May 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Depends on how well they sing . . . :rolleyes:

If the actors can't really sing the material well, then I'd prefer the lip synch, but I've heard it pulled off very well in the movies you mentioned, Linda.

Shifting gears a little bit - do you usually buy new CD's, or do you like to browse the used stores?

Tomfoolery

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:52 pm

MOST DEFINITELY, the used stores. I only buy new if I don't want to wait or shop around for a new CD. Also, the used stores have a tendency to have a lot of the stuff that I listen to because so many people just don't get it!

Also worth mentioning, I'm MUCH more likely to try something new and different that I've never heard, or heard OF, before if the price is relatively low. "Hmm... for 3 or 4 bucks, yeah, I'll give that a try... it looks interesting..."

Ok, so at live shows... do you prefer note for note renditions of the studio stuff or do you prefer the subtle changes and / or jams that so often are the staple on stage?

Haze
Charter Member

Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:25 am

To quote the beginning of your entry, Tomfoolery, I MOST DEFINITELY prefer jamming and way off changes to the album versions of the songs! Basically I think that's one of the main reasons you have live concerts: That the band makes something unique for this evening, when you're there to hear them! :icon_appr

Noticed that I've changed in this matter I kinda want a second opinion: Do you prefer a raw, gritty live recording with no overdubs or adjustments to the sound or a remastered, sound improved (with audience noice reduced) recording of your favourite artists concert on CD?

yesireebob

Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:19 am

I like the improved version. I find the audience rumble and sound distortions very distracting. I don't think it's less authentic because regardless of how raw, it still isn't going to sound the same as if you were actually there, is it. Not to mention, you don't have the thrill of actually being there, just crappy sound.

Now, as to the actual live show, we all know some of music cannot possibly be replicated live, for example where there is an orchestral section or instruments played by guest musicians who are not part of the tour. Do you prefer that the band just do it live as best they can without recordings of the missing parts, or that they use synths or recordings of the original material? Short of a Britney Spears lip-sync, that is ; )

tardistraveler

Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:39 pm

I think I'd prefer them to do as much as possible live, without the recordings. Again, that's the beauty of the live concert, to me, is to hear how they pull things off WITHOUT all the trappings of the studio. If you want it to sound just like the studio version, then stay home and listen to THAT.

And to address a previous comment about the quality of the live recording, I don't mind if it's cleaned up a bit, but I think hearing the crowd's response to the music gives you some of the energy of the show, and to me, at least, some feeling of being there, even if I wasn't there in person.

So, my question is - do you get a sense of "being there" when you hear/see a live show?

thehallway
Charter Member

Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Oo, this thread seems to have passed me by. Looks fun, I think I'l join in!

In answer to your question, Yes!

And while we're on the subject of Yes, I think their live shows are worth watching for the above-mentioned "unique performances" and such like. However I have to agree with the also-above-mentioned "audience rumble and sound distortions are very distracting".

I take it this is the part where I ask a question of my own??
[8]

Tomfoolery

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:23 pm

thehallway wrote: ... I take it this is the part where I ask a question of my own?? ...

Ayuh, that's the objective... ask away!!

tardistraveler

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:55 pm

Hallway, I'll go ahead and post a question, to keep this thread moving. When you return, just answer the current question, and post one of your own in a "this OR that" format! That's how the "game" is played here! ;)

Again, shifting gears a little bit . . . do you buy most of your music online, or at music stores?