ELP - Black Moon

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

ELP - Black Moon

Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:03 pm

What's everyone's take on this one? I know it's definitely not as good as anything in their 70's heyday, but it still is a solid effort.
Songs like the title track, the funky "Paper Blood," and the dynamic instrumental "Changing States" really make this album worthwhile. Greg's acoustic balld "Affairs Of The Heart" is a fine little tune as well. Greg's voice really started to deteriorate on ths release and Carl's drumming became a HELL of a lot more restrained and Keith's use of more digital keyboards became more dominant (damn, I miss that Moog and the distorted Hammond), but I believe this was an awesome reunion record. What does everyone else think of thi overlooked gem in the ELP catalog? Also, what's so terrible about In The Hot Seat?

<hr>WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION, COME ON IN AND SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING, PAY THE PRICE GET YOUR TICKETS FOR THE SHOW...

Astral traveller
Starship Trooper

Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:47 pm

<font color=black>This is a good album. Not every song is a winner, but there's some good stuff, like the title track, 'Footprints in the snow', 'Romeo and Juliet', 'Paper-Blood' and 'Affairs of the heart'.

In The Hot Seat was a terrible effort. The first track is kind of good, but that's it. It all feels like left-over stuff. I wish they had come together in the studio once more to make a solid album, but it didn't happen.

</font id=black>

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:01 am

They really need to get back together. I know ITHS wasn't anywhere near being a classic album, but they need to make just one last winner. An album that'll blow everyone away. I don't think Keith, Greg, or Carl's up to that much now

<hr>WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION, COME ON IN AND SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING, PAY THE PRICE GET YOUR TICKETS FOR THE SHOW...

KEVIN2112
Veteran Member

Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:39 pm

To this day, Black Moon remains tied as my favorite E.L.P. cd(along with the self-titled debut). I love every single song on Black Moon. No, it isn't as proggy as their 70's material, but it is still a keeper. Close to Home is a beautiful piano piece by Keith Emerson, Romeo & Juliet is a smoking instrumental and A Farewell to Arms never fails to give me goosebumps.

Stoutman
Charter Member

Wed May 05, 2004 1:41 pm

I really like this album. It was a strong effort and even though it wasnt overly progressive, the songwriting was solid. I wouldnt say Lake`s voice deteriorated but it did change substantially from what he sounded like in the 70`s. But then again, if you listen to his voice in different periods such as the early 70`s, late 70`s, it did seem to get deeper as time went on.
They really had the enthusiasm that came along when a band reunites for the first time in years. It was too bad they were stuck with a crappy record label (Victory) who did a piss poor job in promoting the album as they did with Yes` Talk. Both albums were winners that deserved to do better.
Higlights for me are the title track, Paper Blood. Affairs of The heart( one of Lakes best acoustic ballads) and the high charging instrumental Changing States.
It`s a sahme that the turgid In The Hot seat appeared later.It`s abad album simply because itwas a weak, lame limp wristed effort by a band who we all know was more capable than this. Save for two songs, the opening cut, Hand of truth, which featured an instrumental workout and lake`s haunting ballad, daddy, most of the songs were an embarassment. Change, Thin Line(which featured a drum machine), Reason To Stay and Gone too soon( songs that Postule Phil Collins would feel right at home with)
From what I understand at the time, Emerson was dealing with a nerve problem at the time wwith his hand and Palmer had developed carpal tunnel syndrome. So that explains their limited roles on the album, which in essence, became a Greg Lake solo album and not good one at all.
You wont be seeing these guys getting back together anytime soon. There is a lot of antipathy between Emerson and lake nowadays,still resulting from the fall out of their late breakup in the late 90`s over an aborted album. Also Emerson has written abook detailing his ELP days and he trashes lake abit I would like to see them get back together, but dont hold your breath...It`s a shame, because these guys were so huge at one time; the fourth most poupular live attraction behind The Stones, The Who, and Led zeppelin in the 1970`s.