hey babe take walk on the wild side.

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
Yogi_Bear
Veteran Member

hey babe take walk on the wild side.

Mon May 10, 2004 11:34 pm

Great stuff, lou reed is the man!

His sounding is brillhant, i recently bought the cd version(i only had the LP)of lou's "Transformer".Totally wicked album man, different sounding ladscapes, made to take you on a acid NY tripp throught the human fears and thoughts.Lous is definetly a Poet beyond his time.
I also like Velvet Underground, thei sound is wicked.
anyone here enjoys Lou Reed or Velvet Underground?

<hr>Be like the Trees that bend when the wind blows
Be like the stone in the river...
The universe and you are one

Astral traveller
Starship Trooper

Tue May 11, 2004 12:06 am

<font color=black>I've got all four V.U. studio albums, and specially the first 2 and parts of 3 are superb. Great experimental music, and proved very important for the music world. They were really a bunch of briliant Avant-Garde freaks. But apart from some hits, I'm not familiar with Reed's solo work.

</font id=black>

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Tue May 11, 2004 4:01 am

I was lent a tape of Transformer once and my initial reaction was not very positive but I played it a few times and found it quite innovative and imaginative. He'll never be a favourite but some of it has stayed with me.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that a lot of the bands like <i>They Might Be Giants</i> took a fair amount from his music.

Simon.

stevehoweistheMAN
Charter Member

Tue May 11, 2004 4:59 am

I like Lou's solo stuff (Transformer is good) but I'm actually a HUUUUUUGEEEEEEEEEEE VU fan. My fave album from them is White Light/White Heat. Way ahead of its time. It's ingenious actually. Many groups (actually punk and alternative rock) would not be here without VU.

"Ahhh, she does it just like Sista Ray said!!"

<hr>There's the Father, the Son, and the Holy Howe!

Yogi_Bear
Veteran Member

Tue May 11, 2004 10:39 am

totally agreed with you man!
VU is the birth of proto-punk it's the birth of experimental music.
I love White heat but i'm more into their first effort, i love "venus in furs" & "Femme Fatale".

stevehoweistheMAN
Charter Member

Tue May 11, 2004 11:34 am

cool enough. without question those first TWO are the best of their four studio efforts. but songs like 'Stephanie Says' from that rarities comp are some of the best tracks they put out. Loaded is a good album, albeit it is more of a Reed solo effort. Well, it's not even that, I feel it's the drumming on that record, it's SO conventional!!! Maureen Tucker, is amazing because, even though she's not good at time, she's just never plays in the typical fashion, which is great for VU.

I love the feel of the first record. Sunday MOrning, Venus, Femme Fatale, I'll B e Your Mirror, European Sun, and of course Waiting for the Man and Heroin!

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Wed May 12, 2004 12:15 pm

Didn't Steve play guitar on one of his albums?

<hr>WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION, COME ON IN AND SEE WHAT'S HAPPENING, PAY THE PRICE GET YOUR TICKETS FOR THE SHOW...

stevehoweistheMAN
Charter Member

Thu May 13, 2004 4:49 am

yes, as did Rick, and possibly Alan.

stevehoweistheMAN
Charter Member

Thu May 13, 2004 6:11 am

BTW, it was a Reed solo work, not a VU album. And Yogi the thing is, I love VU and Nico, but the thing that marrs is it for me is, although Run Run Run is an OK song, All Tomorrows Parties makes me gag. Both of those are the two least faves for me 9all the others are masterpieces) but 'Run' is cool, it's just not as SPEACIAL as the others, but ATM (hahaha!) is EWWWWWWW. I like Nico on the other two but this song always gives me thoughts of Nico singing in a clown/masquerade constume. SCARY. But Reed did it live with him singing and it's cool...

gatesofdeliriumcrasher
Charter Member

Sun May 16, 2004 1:04 pm

I read somewhere (don't remember the source, sorry) that Lou considers himself not as a lyric writer, but rather that he's writing the great American novel, with all these slices of real life and experiences. Which, I think, makes total sense when you think about it. I mean, who says a "novel" has to be printed and bound in book form?

Ray

<hr>Bush Lies = America Dies!

Yogi_Bear
Veteran Member

Tue May 18, 2004 4:56 am

true.
Lou has been writing a 'novel' about life and NYC for a long long time.We can call his albums sketches or parts of a whole concept or vision that he has for NYC and New Yorkers.
Urban poetry...