Top ten 80`s albums...

Musical and related discussions about other bands.
Stoutman
Charter Member

Top ten 80`s albums...

Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:09 am

This is probaly the decade most of you would love to hate or forget,but since Im younger than most of you, this is the decade where i came of age...I thought it was a worthwhile decade of music, especially compared to the shit you have out there nowadays. I was listening to an alternative station and this hard core death metal was playing. I had to wonder if the singer was passing kidney stones,because it sure as shit sounded as such.
Anyways; I digress. here are my top ten;
1. Emerson,Lake and Powell- Cozy gives these guys a heaviness they never had before. Greg Lake is in stellar voice and the midi technology employed by Keith emerson adds a whole new dimension to the ELp sound. This album is a fine balance between pop and progressive
2. U2- War- Before `Boner' became a hypocritical preachy,pompous ass. An angry and aggressive album.
3. Big Country(The crossing)- The guitar meets bagpipes celtic sound was really innovative for it`s time and the songs have an urgency to them that still doesn`t date..
4. Yes-90125- I know many old time Yesfans hate this album, but it was their best since Going For the One. Trevor Rabin put them back on the map, and if ti wasnt for him, I and some others here wouldnt be fans
5.Genesis-Duke- The last great album they made before Postule Phil overdoesed on the sacharrine and blanded the group down badly. Sadly, a new era would dawn with `abacrap'. Dukes travels is one of the best prog tracks of all time.
6. Van Halen-5150- Im a mega Van Halen fan here. Roth is out and Sammy Hagar is in. Hagar is not the showman Roth is , but he`s technically abetter singer, Some of the synth heavy songs like dreams add a whole new dimension to thier sound.. But they can still kick rock and roll ass on tracks such as `Best of Both worlds.
7.Rush-Moving Pictures- So many great tracks. but oddly YYZ, the instrumental is my favorite and one of the best instrumentals these ears have heard . As far as vocal tracks, Limelight stands out for me, even over Tom Sawyer, while still great,but overplayed.
8. Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe- This was a pleasant surprise when it came out. Progressive music updated for the 80`s with a vision. I still wonder what would have happened if this group made another album.
9. Van halen-1984- Theres `jump' of course, but you get the synth heavvy Ill wait and the rockers such as panama and Hot for Teacher, which is one of the best rock videos of all time. Daimond dave goes out with a bang. Eddie Van Halen is the greatest hard rock guitarist of all time, IMO
10. Asia- this debut album was not prog in the least,but the songs had such strong hooks and melodies, they stayed with you.
If you are looking for a bottom ten list from me, just assume anything with Pus head Pabulum Phil Collins makes up the majority.
Now,on to your lists...

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:38 am

1. The Police - Synchronicity - 1983
2. U2 - The Joshua Tree - 1987
3. Yes - 90125 - 1983
4. Robert Palmer - Riptide - 1986
5. The Moody Blues - The Other Side Of Life - 1987
6. Heart - Bad Animals - 1987
7. Peter Gabriel - Melt (PG3) - 1980
8. Yes - Big Generator - 1987
9. Bryan Adams - Reckless - 1984
10. Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A. - 1984
Ascend and Create!

yesireebob

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:03 am

I'm not saying these were the best, but they were certainly among my favorites at the time. Many still are! No particular order, and I could go on...

The Pretenders -- Learning to Crawl
New Order -- Substance
Oingo Boingo -- Good for Your Soul
ZZ Top -- Eliminator
Kate Bush -- Hounds of Love
Berlin -- Love Life
Bruce Springsteen -- Born in the USA / Tunnel of Love
Tears for Fears -- Songs from the Big Chair
Prince -- Purple Rain
U2 -- Unforgettable Fire
B-52's -- Cosmic Thing
Bonnie Raitt -- Nick of Time
Tom Petty -- Full Moon Fever

topographic_drama1980
Starship Trooper

Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:28 am

Stoutman wrote:8. Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe- This was a pleasant surprise when it came out. Progressive music updated for the 80`s with a vision. I still wonder what would have happened if this group made another album.
I don't think they would gotten too far without the "Union" idea from Arista Records, if they would have stayed a band, I think Bill Bruford would have bailed because from what I understand he wasn't really too happy near the end of the ABWH tour.

I think it was kind of cool as a one-time thing. And it's a great album as well.
Ascend and Create!

Vaguson
Veteran Member

Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:56 pm

On the ABWH note: You notice that Bill is the only one unsmiling in the classic pic.As for me, I like a mix of many things from Springsteen (Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love), U2 (Joshua Tree), Alan Parsons, Tears For Fears, ABWH, and of course, Yes (Drama, 90125, BG).
In the beginning is the future...and the future is at hand.

DocFederfeld

Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:44 pm

Stoutman wrote:This is probaly the decade most of you would love to hate or forget,but since Im younger than most of you, this is the decade where i came of age...

This is one of my favourite themes - why in the world were the 80's so bad? Actually, most of the 70's-bands or singers I liked disappointed me - Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP (the album with Powell is terrible IMHO), Bowie, Springsteen. But others (often younger bands) had great albums - like Kate Bush (The dreaming, Hounds of love), Talking Heads (everything), Peter Gabriel (IV), Nanci Griffith (everything) and so on. So it was definitely the worst decade of progressive music, but not a decade to hate in general.

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:05 am

I avoided responding to this until now because it's so hard to talk about an entire DECADE of music!! However, I will say that the 80's had plenty of good music - whether as much of it was 'classic' as in the 60's or 70's is hard to say, since our opinions of such things are so objective anyways, ESPECIALLY if we grew up in a different era (and it does seem that a fairly small number of people on this board grew up then).
My favorite 80's stuff? Here's a few:
- Yes, despite its' cheesiness in many places, was STILL Yes, still capable of that majestic, widescreen sound, and still trying new things for themselves! And since I'm such a big Rabin fan, some may find it shocking for me to say that I think he was still 'coming into his own' on 90125 and BG. ;) The best was yet to come!
- U2. I realize Stoutman doesn't particularly like The Joshua Tree, but that album, for all of its' overplay, is still a "beacon of humanity" to me. Yes, that sounds rather melodramatic (just like U2 can be :D ), but TJT is undoubtedly one of my top five albums ever (right alongside Talk, by that Yes lineup who 'came into their own' by that point ;) ). And another of my top five is:
- Pink Floyd. They only released two albums in the 80's. I'm not talking about The Final Cut, although it IS a powerful statement from Waters. I'm talking about Momentary Lapse of Reason. Yes, THAT album, the one that so many people call "adult-contemporary Floyd-lite" or "David Gilmour solo album in all but name" (the latter claim is entirely true, and I have no problem with that whatsoever). His guitar playing, his whole performance on this album, sounds VERY lonely and uncertain, in the best way. Not in your standard "depressed" fashion, either, but I can hear him fighting the whole world and determined to win. The three-part guitar solo in "Yet Another Movie" is genius. I dare say it's my favorite solo of his ever, which would automatically make it one of my favorite solos ever, period! And this album DOES have a concept, or at least Side 2 does - very vague in its own right, but the music is so well executed that it fills out all of the 'gaps' in the literal plot!

I think that description should suffice (until I feel the need to try describe those albums again :P), but plenty of other stuff came out in that decade, some of which has already been mentioned (Peter Gabriel in his prime as a solo artist), some of which hasn't: John Mellencamp I've always been a big fan of, specifically his album The Lonesome Jubilee, and King Crimson definitely broke new ground in the 80's too! This is just pertaining to what pops into my head, btw, I know it's HARDLY comprehensive! ;)

N2yes
Starship Trooper

Right on target

Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:16 am

With your observation regarding Pink Floyd's MOMENTARY LAPSE of REASON, I think you're right on target, Trev! I absolutely love this effort and at the risk of offending all Roger Waters fans, well, this album proved Gilmour was the master, not the DJ from radio Kaos! "Learning to Fly" is simply a great song as is "The Dogs of War" to name but a few. Richard Wright is so much better a keyboardist than he has ever been given credit and thank goodness he does appear on the release though it seems to have been primarily a Gilmour/Mason endeavor.
"Master of images-Songs cast a light on you"

MOONWEED
Veteran Member

Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:06 pm

Talking Heads,Remain In Light;Kate Bush,The Dreaming;Eno,On Land;Prince,Around The World In A Day;The Cure,Kiss Me,Kiss Me,Kiss Me;Love And Rockets,Express;Robin Hitchcock,Globe Of Frogs;Brian Eno&David Burn,My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts;Timbuk 3,Edan Alley;The Cure,Disintagration.

fragilesi
Starship Trooper

Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:31 pm

Yes there was a lot of crap in the decade that brought us "Wham bam, I am a man!" and "Where do we go from here, is it down to the lake I fear?". And it can hardly be argued that Kool and the Gang were in actual fact anything but tepid. It was definitely when areas of pop lost their way and started a downward spiral in quality that has never quite bottomed out despite some valiant attempts at being the "worst ever" along the way. But equally it was a great decade for music, just consider . . .

There was the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, there was Magnum, there was Marillion and a million other decent (and in my opinion better) neo-progressive bands out there doing their thing. My mind wanders often to those great Pallas shows that never got the audience that they deserved.

But there was also It Bites, U2 as has been mentioned, the birth of the popular Gaelic music scene, Gary Numan in his car, The Vapors were Turning Japanese, Blondie were still writing some incredible hits and proving that bin liners could look as sexy as designer dresses. And speaking of sex on a stick the amazing voice of Kate Bush was wuthering at its very highest.

The Clash were still just about coherent enough to give us "Rock the Casbah" and while you may like him or probably loathe him Michael Jackson produced one of the greatest pop albums of all-time in Thriller. The Police still had the ability to produce great songs and REM began their epic journey into fatalism with a Murmer that was to develop into a definite yell. While Elvis Costello proved that for straight talking lyrics he and Oliver's Army were hard to beat and Lou Reed kept doing what Lou Reed was best at.

Talking Heads were speaking in toungues before they headed off to nowhere while the Stone Roses began to carve their own niche in the music world. We were more than happy to be in a land graced by Paul and call him "Al" despite all his "incidents and accidents".

So, when you look at the Eighties and try to forgive it for Phil Collins and his regular assaults on human decency with albums like "No Jacket Required" (I always assumed that meant it required no album jacket because the only thing worth doing with it was slinging it in the trash) and Spandau Ballet's descent into sicky treacle with True. And if you can choose to ignore violations of human rights like the fact that Milli Vanilli and Musical Youth were ever given air time. And finally if you can get your head away from the fact that Haircut 100 weren't arrested and imprisoned for life then the eighties had plenty to offer and weren't all that bad . . .

Simon.

Astral traveller
Starship Trooper

Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:46 pm

1. Rush - Permanent Waves (1980)

The first album of the decade (released officially January 1st 1980) may also be the best. My No.1 album by my No.1 band. Every song is a big classic, and though the album is a bit short, it is perfect.
Favs: Natural science, Jacob's Ladder, Freewill, Different strings.

2. Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (1983)

A much overlooked album, I think. But in my book it is not much worse than 'The big four' (the 4 previous LP's). An album that is best looked at as a whole piece of music than individual songs IMO. Great melodies, some of Waters' best lyrics and great sound FX.
favs: Your possible pasts, Gunners Dream, Final Cut, Paranoid eyes.

3. Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

This is 'the other one'. A fantastic album, though some songs are a bit overplayed (esp. Tom Sawyer), every song is, again, a classic. PW and MP is Rush at their very best.
favs: Red Barchetta, YYZ, Camera Eye, Witch hunt

4. Yes - Drama (1980)

Yes entered the 80s on a highnote, the trio of Squire/Howe/White is rocking out and are helped by Horn/Downes. A truelly great rock album with some of the best playing by the above trio (esp. Chris is playing killer, and the interplay with Alan is a joy to hear). The keys of Downes are also adding a lot to the sound specially on MM.
Favs; Machine Messiah, Does it really happen, Into the lens, Tempus Fugit

5. Queen - The Game (1980)

Queen's finest effort of the 80s, and overall maybe only topped by the grand A night at the opera. To begin wiith the sound of the LP is much better than their 70s albums. The songwriting is some of their very best ever, and I like every song, something I can't say of all Queen album. Lot of their albums have weak tracks, this one doesn't. The DVD of this tour ('We will rock you') is great as well, and after this one, Queen really went the wrong way with Hot Space and The Works. Their last truelly great album
favs: Play the Game, Dragon attack, Coming soon, Save me

6. Rush - Power windows (1985)

Another excellent album, and one of my absolute favorites. After the dissapointing Grace UP album (for me at least), Rush is back to form with this killer album. Great melodies, Great Arrangements (chior, strings), and some of Neil's best lyrics. But the songs are even better live.
favs: Big Money, Manhattan project, Marathon, Territories

7. King Crimson - Discipline (1981)

Side 1 is some of the best music there is, Side 2 is less good and more the direction they went on the next album, but the first half is excellent.
In many ways a groundbreaking album, with Bill's electronic drums/percussion, strange duo guitar work, and weird (but brilliant) lyrics. In the 90s they would be back with even better music, but out of the three 80s albums, this one is really on of Crimson's highlights.
favs: Side 1

8. Deep Purple - Perfect strangers (1984)

Purple were back with a great album. It really rocks. The band seems loose and tight at the same time. Some of the songs are even on the same level as their 70s work. And DP never quite came back to this level, though Purpendicular came pretty close
favs: Knocking at your backdoor, Under the gun, Perfect strangers

9. Dream Theater - When Dream and day unite (1989)

One of the best debuts ever, and overlooked at the same time. I love specially the first half of the album, with concert favs like The Killing hand, Fortune in lies and Ytse Jam. The only let-down is the vocalist, when compared to LaBrie seems out of place here. But nevermind that, the songs are great and though they would better themselves with Images and words and Awake, it is still an album that rocks.

10. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (1980)

A great one! After the sloppy last 2 LPs with Ozzy, Dio gives a kick-ass to the band wich pays off. The band rocks again, with moments of brilliance, fantastic guitar work, and Dio is in top-form.
favs: Neon Knights, Die young, Children of the sea, Heaven and hell

runner ups;
- Yes - 90125
- Genesis - Duke
- Queen - A kind of magic.

psychopomp95
Starship Trooper

Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:22 am

I must admit, when I look at 1980 I think of it as being '1970's... same goes for 1990, to me that's still 1980s, and etc. I think it's because any new 'movement' that's bubbling under the surface needs that year or two (or three) into the new decade to really establish itself as something new!

TenVoices
Charter Member

Astral is Smart

Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:02 pm

I am biased to Rush, but 30 years later you have to admit they are a foundation in rock.

Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures are perhaps the most dominant albums back-to-back in the 80s. There is so much talent in those albums it is unmistakeably premier.

Even the casual prog fan will recognize Rush's Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows as proof of their improvement in the 80s.

I'd have to rank my top 4 80s albums all Rush.

1. Grace Under Pressure
2. Moving Pictures
3. Permanent Waves
4. Power Windows

I'd then move to Yes 90125 rounding out my top 5.

vynceleff

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:30 am

Well, I am also a bif Trevor Rabin fan. So I agree with some of you for 90125. Moreover, I am also a big fan of Trevor Horn who produced that.

So I would also add Welcome To The Pleasure Dome (I mean... only the Trevor Horn part ;) ) by Frankie Goes To Hollywood.

Of course, Tears For Fears, The Police (who very much inspired T. Rabin IMO) and Pink Floyd.

I would like to include Dream Theater as well... but When Dream And Day Unite isn't really their best one... I'd rather include them in the 90s....

Vynce Leff
http://www.saens.net

stevehoweistheMAN
Charter Member

80's..................

Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:32 am

I don't think these are the best, but my faves (no order):

1. The Smiths- The Queen Is Dead
2. Yes- Big Generator
3. Talking Heads- Little Creatures
4. Pet Shop Boys- Actually
5. Go Go's- Beauty And The Beat
6. The Cure- Distenegration
7. The Smiths- Strangeways, Hear We Come
8. The Smiths- Meat Is Murder
9. Morrissey-Viva Hate
10. Lou Reed And John Cale- Songs For Drella

Runner Up:

They Might Be Giants- They Might Be Giants

(in case you didn't know, I AM a Smiths fan...)
There's the Father, the Son, and the Holy Howe!